Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Ospreys, Melee And The Much Neglected Y Axis.

Drasiel

The infected with their charge at you mindlessly and swarm tactics have always been a faction that allowed the use of melee, and were for me the most satisfying to cut up. The addition of the Infested osprey to the infested ranks unfortunately shines a rather bright and pointed light on the niggling cancerous stump of dissatisfaction I feel with melee combat even in the post melee 2.0 days we find ourselves this. This dissatisfaction stems from the overt neglect of the Y axis during melee combat. 

We have no skyward strike, no upwards mobility. The downwards power slam is the only hint of Y axis usability and it is bland,simple,basic. With the combo system we could do so much more. At the very least though I would really like to see some kind of upward strike added to melee,  especially with the inclusion of flying enemies to a faction that I, and probably others, viewed as the most melee-able.

While I think that adding an enemy that can't be beaten by continuously repeating the same strategy of pressing E over and over was the point of the Mutalist Osprey, I still agree that giving us the ability to at least aim in the direction we want to strike rather than having horizontally fixed animations would be a simple yet significant improvement to melee.

That or they could make so that any enemy you make contact with while performing a jump attack is injured and possibly even smashed down into the floor, allowing you to ground a flying enemy and finish them off while they're down.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

I want to kiss the sky!

Seriously would be nice to attack up..those hive boil things....hard to hit unless they are at your knee level.

Albeit some are out of the question like the ones way up high, but the small corridors with those bubbles on the ceiling...clearly in reach if I could just swing upwards..

You can wall melee flying enemies. Its a pain but it sort of works. That said, I would love to see the flying kick knock flying enemies out of the sky. would be very fun.

Edit: The wall melee only works with some weapons. Heavier weapons don't really work for that.

Edited by Zeritol

I think they invented guns for that problem...

Oh yes, there are the guns. However while we have quick access to melee when we are using guns, we do not have quick access to guns while using melee. 

Guns also don't address the fact that for a game touted as "full of dem space ninjas what with 3 schools of gun, other gun and swordy thing" the inability to strike upwards is quite surprising and immediately noticeable

true, but there are thoe of us who either decide not to bring a gun, or bring a strong melee, and a gun of some kind that they just got/formad

^ also as Entari0 said. They gave us the option to go without a gun, that means they should probably give us the ability to deal with things using only melee. Otherwise it is a false choice and only a trap for the uninformed.

The Y axis is fine.  It's the Z axis that needs work.

360px-Coord_XYZ.svg.png

....aaaaaand my highschool math teacher just rolled over in his grave with the unspeakable shame I have brought to him by mixing up my axis. Let me just fix that real quick.....

waaaait a minute I was always taught that the Y axis was vertical, X was horizontal and Z was depth... Now I'm gonna have to go look that up :\

Whelp it appears to be dependent on whether you are talking about 3D space for something like a game or locating an object using vectors

definition from computer hope about the z axis:

When referring to a three-dimensional plane, a z-axis refers to the depth of a three-dimensional object. In the illustration the z-axis plane goes front to back and intersects with the y-axis and x-axis. A good example of where the z-axis is used on a computer is in computer games or other 3-D environments, where you have a game character or other object moving in a 3-D world.

Information from a yahoo answers correspondent Kristie

In cartesian coordinate system, you can think of it this way (as drawn on a flat piece of paper): 

x-axis is Left-Right 
y-axis in Up-Down 
z-axis is Forward-Back (or up coming out of the page // down going into and through the page) 
(That is why depth axis is probably most descriptive of the above descriptions that you gave) 

Just to confuse you a bit more, if you are using vectors to describe the location of an object, the following convention is usually used: 
x-axis is East-West 
y-axis is North-South 

z-axis is Vertical (Elevation/ Altitude) or (up-down)

Edited by Drasiel

Ran into this problem the other day while doing a tower exterminate mission, for some reason I went in without a secondary. I ended facing two... Osprey prime? corrupted floaty thingies...After trying to melee them for a while (let's not get into details) I had no choice but to use an ammo pack =(

This new enemy has completely beat out solar rails as the WORST new content added to the game.

It seems that just about everything touched by Scott these days has to be reworked over and over, taking alot of time to do so, and just doesn't mesh with the rest of the game for months.

I'm wondering why the vaunted Melee 2.0 didn't give us the kind of things people are asking for here. Why can't we free aim our melee strikes? Why don't see at least a basic upward attack to mirror the function of the "ground slam?"

Are there limitations of the engine and design tools that we just aren't seeing, or is the problem between the chair and the keyboard?

I'm wondering why the vaunted Melee 2.0 didn't give us the kind of things people are asking for here. Why can't we free aim our melee strikes? Why don't see at least a basic upward attack to mirror the function of the "ground slam?"

Are there limitations of the engine and design tools that we just aren't seeing, or is the problem between the chair and the keyboard?

I think its limitations in developers, and limitations in what they are willing to do.

We should be able to have access to all melee abilities and combos while your gun is out (ala Devil May Cry) and just do away with the awful charging mechanic.  I'm tired of DE making melee less and less viable every other update.

waaaait a minute I was always taught that the Y axis was vertical, X was horizontal and Z was depth... Now I'm gonna have to go look that up :\

Whelp it appears to be dependent on whether you are talking about 3D space for something like a game or locating an object using vectors

To (hopefully) clarify, axes in mathematics and most physics are not strictly associated with the x/y/z horiz/vert/depth system, because those labels are based on the observers point of view, and physicists love to mess around with that sort of thing (not least because using Cartesian coordinates systems in real-word problems is almost limitless in its application, so it helps to adapt them to the scenario at hand).

The simpler explanation is, Z is always the third axis. You take a straight line for your first axis (X), intersect it perpendicularly with a second (Y), and then the line that perpendicularly intersects the surface (plane) described by the other two is Z. Z is normally depth in classes because the X and Y are generally flat to the surface being drawn upon (paper or blackboard).

On topic, I find the inability to melee them annoying because most of the time (of late) I'm working on melee and the firearms are backup (and usually the one that ends up killing the buggers is, either by absent-mindedness on my part or accident, the fully-ranked one).

this is a known issue....for maybe upwards of a year now lol

from the looks of it...they dont seem to give a S#&$

yup, but every once in a while it's a good idea to remind people.

To (hopefully) clarify, axes in mathematics and most physics are not strictly associated with the x/y/z horiz/vert/depth system, because those labels are based on the observers point of view, and physicists love to mess around with that sort of thing (not least because using Cartesian coordinates systems in real-word problems is almost limitless in its application, so it helps to adapt them to the scenario at hand).

The simpler explanation is, Z is always the third axis. You take a straight line for your first axis (X), intersect it perpendicularly with a second (Y), and then the line that perpendicularly intersects the surface (plane) described by the other two is Z. Z is normally depth in classes because the X and Y are generally flat to the surface being drawn upon (paper or blackboard).

On topic, I find the inability to melee them annoying because most of the time (of late) I'm working on melee and the firearms are backup (and usually the one that ends up killing the buggers is, either by absent-mindedness on my part or accident, the fully-ranked one).

Thanks for the explanation :)