Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plat Creep

dashashou

I've put money into this game. And I make a good living, but I also know a bad pricing model when I see one.

And the beauty is you dont have to participate in said model. If you dont like the model, vote where it really counts: where you spend your money.

Edited by (PS4)Count_Dante

I pose that same question to you, since you were the one whose convinced they don't have to change anything.

I'll answer your question with a few questions.

1. Does DE sell items?

2. Are they managing to make profit as they are?

1. Yes

2. Yes

I am convinced they don't have to change anything because of the answer to those two questions.

I don't get Platinum anymore unless it's discounted(or free), and I know I'm definitely not alone in that. I don't go for anything lower than a 75% coupon. And when your product gets to a point like that, well... It's pretty telling, to say the least.

But you could say I've got quite a fat wallet, but that doesn't mean I just give in to the absurd decisions a company makes and pretend there isn't a problem.

There was a time where I wanted to spend money on this game, where I enjoyed doing so. That time is long gone, however. Spending money now is nothing more than an annoyance.

Edited by FatalX7

I'll answer your question with a few questions.

1. Does DE sell items?

2. Are they managing to make profit as they are?

1. Yes

2. Yes

I am convinced they don't have to change anything because of the answer to those two questions.

I agree with you that they dont need to adjust pricing as people are buying things as they are.

But Market is a mess as it is now. Some bundles are horrible ( older ones ), and some of them dont make any sense as time goes by. We do need Market 2.0 with better bundles and some cleaning up.

I've put money into this game. And I make a good living, but I also know a bad pricing model when I see one.

Sorry, but your spooky pricing model psychic powers aren't convincing me. Not when you (to my knowledge) are not given information regarding their sales numbers.

I agree with you that they dont need to adjust pricing as people are buying things as they are.

But Market is a mess as it is now. Some bundles are horrible ( older ones ), and some of them dont make any sense as time goes by. We do need Market 2.0 with better bundles and some cleaning up.

I agree with this. Many things in the market have been left to sit for so long that they are starting to show their age. Someone needs to go through and normalize prices, if only to make things a little less confusing.

WHALEZ BRO.

They're in this mindset of attracting fat walleted narrow minded people, versus pricing things to convert people into sales. It's a little bit of greed, and a little lack of confidence in their product. They think if they price things too low it would discourage the whales from buying. Since there's no inherent value. And that the larger pool of people who would buy, will not make up for the whales who spend hundreds if not thousands.

I convince retailers to sell lower, so they can buy cheaper, and turn more. That's what I do for a living, and guess what? The accounts that do, sell a hell of a lot more.

Can't believe I'm typing this but I for once agree with Dirk.  If DE lowered prices on items and brought them into the price range of the average person playing Warframe then they without a doubt would make more transactions.

Sorry, but your spooky pricing model psychic powers aren't convincing me. Not when you (to my knowledge) are not given information regarding their sales numbers.

First of all, I never said they had to change anything. In order to be profitable, or more successful. I did however make a remark as to the attitude of this game, and many other free to play games pricing models. And how in my experience high margin strategies don't work too well in the long run.

Second of all, you came to me first about them needing to charge these prices for their assumed required profit margins, and you ask me for sales numbers.

I would agree that new items should be priced higher, but after new content they should be adjusted. Since, the burst sales will yeild a margin high enough to justify labor costs. Now you have long tail income that'll sustain the company.

Edited by DirkDeadeye

First of all, I never said they had to change anything. In order to be profitable, or more successful. I did however make a remark as to the attitude of this game, and many other free to play games pricing models. And how in my experience high margin strategies don't work too well in the long run.

Second of all, you came to me first about them needing to charge these prices for their assumed required profit margins, and you ask me for sales numbers.

I would agree that new items should be priced higher, but after new content they should be adjusted. Since, the burst sales will yeild a margin high enough to justify labor costs. Now you have long tail income that'll sustain the company.

You implied they should change, I questioned your thought process. You did comment on their attitude, and I still don't understand how you managed to get that vibe from DE. 

Again, I questioned your thought process. Why should they change anything when they're obviously making a profit as they are now? That was the nature of my question. I never actually asked you for sales numbers. I jokingly asked if they let you look at them. If you had said they did (and I believed you) I'd have apologized and asked your professional opinion.

All of the white knights in this thread............

Anyhow, here is how it works. There is a HUGE amount of players who wont buy plat unless its 50% off or greater. To get these "coupons" you just have to not log in for three to four days. 

they think that if they keep plat prices at outrageous levels that people will think they are getting a deal when in reality they are probably still over paying at 50% off. Big retailers work the same way with how they use sales. When you buy something at May Co on sale, you are really paying MSRP.

While the normal price is a heavy mark up.

This system works. Look no further than the retail mall outfits.

In warframe it works like this. The well off dont care about how much plat costs. They want it, they have the cash. They get it. It also helps thier ego to know that they are obtaining a semi exclusive product due to its high price level. For the rest of you, who do not have the income (or the good sense not to be ripped off) you get the coupons. You feel excited because you now have access to something at a "discount" and the cash heads wills till pay $&*&*#(%& markups because they can.

Its really a win/win for DE to keep the prices as they are. If you really havea  probloem with the pricing model then get you and your friends to not buy plat and ignore the "deep discounts" coupons. But that isnt going to happen and DE knows it.

You want prices to be accessible to as many people as you can get, you want people to feel comfortable, to genuinely want to spend money. When people look at your market and think, "Gee, that's really expensive..." (and there are a lot of people who think that, and have for many months) you've got a problem on your hand. Not only is that a missed sale, that's a player you've just lost or will lose.

Having prices that encourage anyone and everyone into buying seems like common sense, but maybe that's just me.

You want prices to be accessible to as many people as you can get, you want people to feel comfortable, to genuinely want to spend money. When people look at your market and think, "Gee, that's really expensive..." (and there are a lot of people who think that, and have for many months) you've got a problem on your hand. Not only is that a missed sale, that's a player you've just lost or will lose.

Having prices that encourage anyone and everyone into buying seems like common sense, but maybe that's just me.

Wrong man, read my post. And its not me. This is how it actually works in retail. Go ask your econ prof.

Wrong man, read my post. And its not me. This is how it actually works in retail. Go ask your econ prof.

What.

I wasn't talking to you. If I was, I would have quoted you. I'm not questioning what you said, either.

My post is simply about the general ideal balance of microtransactions.

Edited by FatalX7

Anyhow, here is how it works. There is a HUGE amount of players who wont buy plat unless its 50% off or greater. To get these "coupons" you just have to not log in for three to four days. 

pfft. Hahah. Hah. HAH. Just logged in first time since Damage 2.0 aaand nothing.

Edited by Mazrim

they think that if they keep plat prices at outrageous levels that people will think they are getting a deal when in reality they are probably still over paying at 50% off. Big retailers work the same way with how they use sales. When you buy something at May Co on sale, you are really paying MSRP.

While the normal price is a heavy mark up.

This system works. Look no further than the retail mall outfits.

In warframe it works like this. The well off dont care about how much plat costs. They want it, they have the cash. They get it. It also helps thier ego to know that they are obtaining a semi exclusive product due to its high price level. For the rest of you, who do not have the income (or the good sense not to be ripped off) you get the coupons. You feel excited because you now have access to something at a "discount" and the cash heads wills till pay $&*&*#(%& markups because they can.

Its really a win/win for DE to keep the prices as they are. If you really havea  probloem with the pricing model then get you and your friends to not buy plat and ignore the "deep discounts" coupons. But that isnt going to happen and DE knows it.

You don't have to be well off to be able to afford platinum, you just have to reorganize your priorities.

then don't buy it....in my opinion, the only armor worth buying atm are anything but those flying infested pieces....they look too out of place.....i am waiting for some cool knight armor to compliment sword and shield later on

As someone who does regularly buy platinum, I would generally agree that the newer armor sets are a bit more than I would like to pay for them. Not as though that has stopped me, but it did encourage me to wait until I got a platinum discount to add them to the collection. 

That said, I don't actually aesthetically like the new armor pieces, so I probably won't purchase them. Nothing personal, I just like my Tenno 'clean'.

As someone who does regularly buy platinum, I would generally agree that the newer armor sets are a bit more than I would like to pay for them. Not as though that has stopped me, but it did encourage me to wait until I got a platinum discount to add them to the collection. 

That said, I don't actually aesthetically like the new armor pieces, so I probably won't purchase them. Nothing personal, I just like my Tenno 'clean'.

They look all chunky. I don't get it.

As long as there is a login plat discount and occasional plat sales (I think steam is having a summer one right now), there really isn't a worry on plat prices. I can empathize with the folks who wanted some of the alt look pieces since those cannot be crafted. Once in a great while those should be tossed in an alert or difficult to obtain through missions.

What.

I wasn't talking to you. If I was, I would have quoted you. I'm not questioning what you said, either.

My post is simply about the general ideal balance of microtransactions.

doesnt matter if you were adressing me. What you posted was in error. i pointed it out.  nothing personal.

Yeaaaah, and that's why so many big box stores are out of business, or on their way out.

It 'worked' for awhile.

i havent kept up with current economic trends. But a few years ago when I THINK it was JC Penny tried to buck the system by offering everything at MSRP and not havingslHUGEmarket shares.