Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Addicted To Warframe~Addicted To Gaming

Doughalo2

This is a slightly different topic to the usual but I want to talk about it.

I love gaming and have never really had a problem with addiction, usually I stick to a franchise eg.halo and play the games tonnes when they first come out and then get bored. Halo's universe offered story that I could read in books to take my mind of the game and well I probably was addicted to the halo universe, I wasn't however addicted to playing the game.

I am currently 15 and have played about 800 hours in warframe in the last roughly 6months. Since update 11-12 I was hooked. Completely mesmerized by warframes scope, interesting game-play, and insane potential. Unlike halo warframes mmo grind concept is new to me. I have never experienced a game where you cant pick up other enemies weapons and are confined to your own crafted ones. So much grinding is required for each weapon and very time consuming. I currently have all the warframes and almost every single weapon. I have to do worthwhile alerts when I see them and my oh im just gonna grab this login reward turns into 4hours of playing.

My all round A performance in school for the 4 main subjects has dropped to 3 B's and 1 A.

That doesn't sound bad and please don't get me wrong, those a's came from my little amount of study in the past. Now I barley do 10mins a week. 

I know this is my problem not DE's so don't think im trying to blame them, I simply wanted to ask about the strategies some of you guys use to avoid playing to much, because also playing so much looks really bad to my dad, who thinks gaming contributes nothing to the planet and gets really angry about it.

My current addiction takes 1hour out of every day since I started playing. Thats bad.

oaKX6ZF.jpg?2

Edited by Doughalo2

People from a certain generation or grew up in a certain way will never understand.

That being said. I've been addicted to gaming tech in general for a long time, but it doesn't hurt my life too much.

You really just have to have enough discipline to know what's actually important.

That, however, does make me a hypocrite to a degree.

Edited by (PS4)StoneRevolver

I've played 300+ hours in the timespan of 1.5 months.
Basically, I just alternate between eating, chores, and gaming.

Try setting a timer in your room. When it goes off, finish whatever you're doing, do 3-4 things, go outside for a while, then come back in, reset your time and do the same.

1hr a day.....that's a light addiction I could play the game 6hrs a day, though now it's about an hour to two give or take given the balancing out of other games.  if you just need to take a break take on currently my time has been spent watching Kamen Rider currently on Fourze when that's done going onto Wizard while I wait for Gaim to update. besides that I play a few solo games like Agarest Zero and Pixel Piracy but yeah WF can be addicting and Games can net you some cash if you are a good LP'r on Youtube or Twitch.

I play excess one hour everyday. Not just warframe though. But my life does not suffer in any way. It's called doing what needs done first. It isn't really all that hard.

My parents hate gaming, don't care xD

If your gaming takes up one hour, you still have like 6 hours of free time, do your work :p

I simply wanted to ask about the strategies some of you guys use to avoid playing to much, because also playing so much looks really bad to my dad, who thinks gaming contributes nothing to the planet and gets really angry about it.

Oh that was easy for me when I was in school: I got grounded to the point where I wasn't allowed to use a computer til I moved out of my parents house.

^_^

Get Grounded, kid! :3

If you already have all frames and soon all weapons, you'll soon burn out and find there's not much to do Use that as a reason to stop playing.

I won't start a conversation about school and grades because I find the way schools operate idiotic.

Maybe just designate strict hours when you gotta do your things and when you can play. Either do it yourself or ask your parents to do it for you. I don't know, I always spent my time how I wanted to.

glad you are having fun OP

id like to reccomend that you check out the Ultima series of games (specifically U5-7 and Underworld 2) and Planescape Torment for completely worthwhile timesinks and mind-expanding gaming experiences

tangent sidenote rant aside, read up on what a skinner box is (named after a famous psychologist), and really learn the whats/hows/whys of what makes some aspects of video gaming so addictive

you sound like a fairly intelligent chap, so hopefully you can figure this all out, but bottom line, what you learn in school (or out of school for that matter) is far more important than "grades" (of course having great grades can help to get certain scholarships in some cases, so there is that, FWIW)

=] good luck to yas =]

PS - there is TONS of research showing that video gaming, and basically just GAMES in general are VERY GOOD for the brain, so maybe showing yer dad that might help to get him off yer back some (i obviously dont know yer personal sitch, so yer mileage may vary) 

and of course like anything else, ppl probably get more from playing say Ultima or Starcraft 2 competitively than from playing Farmville or Candycrush, just like watching Beyond the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman is much more educational/informative than watching The Real Housewives or some other such garbage

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

Gonna just get this out of the way first;  Everything I'm going to tell you is hypocritical since I play this game too much myself, though I'm not in school so that's okay.

The easiest solution I can come up with is just to uninstall Warframe the night before the schoolweek restarts, and don't allow yourself to reinstall it till the afternoon which starts each weekend.

The biggest problem with a game of this type, being a grinding game, is the amount of time it simply takes to acquire things.  A solution to this is to, during schooltime when you know you'll need to be keeping up on your studies, just stop trying to acquire things.  Only play a mission just for fun, don't try to accomplish anything.  I really need to stress that last part, seriously, don't allow yourself any progress towards goals.  Do something like mess around on a Void mission which has only parts drops you've already attained, ect.  Just shelve any and all of your potential goals in Warframe for the time being, it'll make just knocking out one short-lived mission then logging off a very easy thing as well as making it easy to decide to skip a day or three here and there.

Your grades and school are your future, Warframe is not. Your failures now out of the game, could affect you for the rest of your life, missing Warframe will have no negitive impact on your person.

Take it from someone that has gamed in complete isolation 9 hours a day since they left school, which was 11 years ago.

Eventually as with all games, no matter how good, most people will move on to another, but your real life self will suffer from missed chances you should have took instead of gaming

You want the real honest truth? It isnt magic. Just self regulation. Something that is lacking more and more in successive generations. And gen X was/is pretty bad at it. I hate to see how little willpower you gen z's have.

Game Compulsion is a symptom of deeper problems that we have as individual people and as a society.

First, don't be too quick to blame yourself for the fact that playing games feels more rewarding than doing real life stuff. Until we learn how to use the concepts of game design to make things like school and tax paperwork feel as rewarding as actual vidya games, you'll have to either use your own discipline or come up with a system to turn these things into your own game. I've been doing that for a while now.

I designed a simple leveling and perk system around things like filing my quarterly taxes (self-employed) and paying monthly bills. I get xp every time I complete a single "adult" task, and bonuses for streaks without missing payments or being late on anything. I've discovered that making stuff up for my completely imaginary game world and character is fun enough to make these boring and soulless tasks much more fun.

Aside from that, the best advice I can give you is to find people you trust, and empower them to keep tabs on you. Having other people to help keep you accountable is a big help, mainly because it keeps you in a close orbit with "reality." Staying involved with the real world is really important. Things like volunteer work or extracurricular activities (start your own club if you have to) are a good tool for getting invested and engaged with the outside world.