The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Theliset.com - U14 Official Hype Site - Updating Daily (It's Here Edition)

Letter13

It's a little irritating that they make an announcement to do a Devstream tomorrow but no U14 yet. I know I speak for a lot of people when I say I sound like a broken record but that's just my two cents atm. No hard feelings. ; w ;

hay ya'll how you zoin

I think DE(L) did give themselves a day to get the bugs (Thursday being the buffer day), but even so, there can be unexpected major bugs that crop out despite the fact that the coding itself is logical and correct. 

Which you'll then notice I also said that if that happens, you say that the patch is delayed, you don't just keep people waiting.

It's a little irritating that they make an announcement to do a Devstream tomorrow but no U14 yet. I know I speak for a lot of people when I say I sound like a broken record but that's just my two cents atm. No hard feelings. ; w ;

hay ya'll how you zoin

Why are you mad? Then they can explain what took so long...

Red Text spoke up in Region a moment ago, commenting that since DE owns offices on midway Island, TECHNICALLY, it's 6:22 PM over there :T well, 6:30 at the time of my posting this comment.

EDIT: Thank you, Rezio! I can't take a scrrenie now, because Steam overlay and all that.

Edited by Mewfan

Whenever the update hits, regardless of hiccups, bugs, mistakes, lack of communication, whatever... I'm just happy I'm getting something AWESOME for free. The wait is worth it. I love this game flaws and all. And I'm halfway through my wine bottle. Yay for coherent sentences!!!!!!!!

Whenever the update hits, regardless of hiccups, bugs, mistakes, lack of communication, whatever... I'm just happy I'm getting something AWESOME for free. The wait is worth it. I love this game flaws and all. And I'm halfway through my wine bottle. Yay for coherent sentences!!!!!!!!

Sipping my way through a bottle of scotch here, going to run some beginner levels online to see if I can help out some newbies. Drunk help is the best help they can get, after all!

Except you do, this isn't quantum mechanics or a complete and accurate description of what's beyond an event horizon, there are no complete unknowables here, this is software that is being iterated on, things don't break by themselves, if something breaks, someone broke it and your programmers should be able to tell you what the worst possible things are that could happen and how long it would take to fix them.

When they said they wanted to release last week but they weren't going to make it, and then announced it for this week, I knew there was going to be trouble, why? Because I've managed projects and just the way Steve commented on the U14 release made me feel like things were still very, very rocky; the point here is they shouldn't have announced anything being ready for release without having a version that was actually ready for release, if you decide to keep iterating and then something breaks, fine, roll back and release the one that works, but don't set a date in stone when you don't actually have something yet.

Don't mistake my comment with being upset or whatever, cause really, I expected this would happen, or better said, I planned for it ;].

This isn't anything but a management or communication F*** up.

You make it sound so easy when you wrote, "Programmers should be able to tell you what the worst possible things are that could happen and how long it would take to fix them.". 

Sure, I can tell you how long to fix it and what are the worst possible things that could happen, and give you the projected time (and some more for buffer). When actually acted out in real life coding, it is a different matter altogether. It could range from exactly what I said, underestimating the magnitude of the problem (meaning the bug needs more time than expected to fix, or even identify), or even having a new bug from the fixes I made, which I would need to fix, and make sure the previous fixes do not end up being bugs in the process, and so on. 

So yes, there are almost limitless possibilities as to what would actually happen. And especially with large bits of codes, small bugs that affect how the whole program is run are the most frustrating and challenging things to eliminate, since you have to: 

1. Find the actual glitch code from hundreds (or even thousands) of lines of code, or various header files. 

2. Fix it without trying to mess up perfectly functioning code. 

3. If it messes up perfectly functioning code, then fix that, and so on until it is stable. 

And I have also managed projects (filming projects, which is slightly similar to coding projects), and I have heard things more worse than what [DE]Steve said. At least he was honest. 

you must not have had enough to drink yet i can still understand you.

Good morning people of the  topic, so I can see that the new update is not out yet but with a reasonable reason. But seems DE won't go to bed untill Update 14 is in our hands. So I bacily can see this coming out very soon.

*sighs* I really wish I didn't have such bad cramp last-night, I did not sleep that much :(. but its good to see this ironing out and this shads some light on my bad morning.

Which you'll then notice I also said that if that happens, you say that the patch is delayed, you don't just keep people waiting.

There is an update on it which states that they are still working on it, which can be inferred that the update will not be delivered at its proposed date.

You make it sound so easy when you wrote, "Programmers should be able to tell you what the worst possible things are that could happen and how long it would take to fix them.". 

Sure, I can tell you how long to fix it and what are the worst possible things that could happen, and give you the projected time (and some more for buffer). When actually acted out in real life coding, it is a different matter altogether. It could range from exactly what I said, underestimating the magnitude of the problem (meaning the bug needs more time than expected to fix, or even identify), or even having a new bug from the fixes I made, which I would need to fix, and make sure the previous fixes do not end up being bugs in the process, and so on. 

So yes, there are almost limitless possibilities as to what would actually happen. And especially with large bits of codes, small bugs that affect how the whole program is run are the most frustrating and challenging things to eliminate, since you have to: 

1. Find the actual glitch code from hundreds (or even thousands) of lines of code, or various header files. 

3. If it messes up perfectly functioning code, then fix that, and so on until it is stable. 

And I have also managed projects (filming projects, which is slightly similar to coding projects), and I have heard things more worse than what [DE]Steve said. At least he was honest. 

This.

Coding sometimes can be a little B, and fixing small bug might need to re-inspect the whole coding.

Sipping my way through a bottle of scotch here, going to run some beginner levels online to see if I can help out some newbies. Drunk help is the best help they can get, after all!

Woot! My last drunken happy times landed me a few good friends. XD Go help our awesome newlets!!!

Thank you for spelling it out, this times a bunch. Communication is meaningless when the code itself appears to be trolling everyone.

Woot! My last drunken happy times landed me a few good friends. XD Go help our awesome newlets!!!

Thank you for spelling it out, this times a bunch. Communication is meaningless when the code itself appears to be trolling everyone.

Will do! Let's just hope they don't spend 2 minutes shooting at me and wondering why the shiny new boss isn't going down.. I guess they haven't seen Ember Prime yet. Always funny to watch.

Will do! Let's just hope they don't spend 2 minutes shooting at me and wondering why the shiny new boss isn't going down.. I guess they haven't seen Ember Prime yet. Always funny to watch.

Nice, shiny yeah. They're still happy to have someone willing to help rather than run ahead and leave them behind. I never leave them behind!!!

There is an update on it which states that they are still working on it, which can be inferred that the update will not be delivered at its proposed date.

Now you're grasping at straws, and clearly haven't worked in PR before.  You  say 'Team, the patch is set to go live at 5pm.  You have until 6pm as overlap.  If you miss that mark, we delay it until 5pm the next day, to ensure all is fixed'.   Please don't argue for the sake of arguing.