Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Status Chance Sadness ='<

AnonCat

WAIT DON'T RUNAWAY!!! I know there's a big scary block of text below and I know U14 is just around the corner. But I must make the case! Too long have status chance weapons suffered beneath mediocrity. I have two points in their defence!

=Basic Status Mods=

The basic mods for status chance are scary bad, like starved orphan kind of bad. They're not worth a slot, even if your creating a proc build! There is ALWAYS (absolutes are dangerous) a superior alternative. Most mods with a single mechanic, excel in that mechanic, while hybrid mods make a trade off. But pure status mods are outclassed and rendered moot options.

I did some calculations and rounded to nearest percentile:

-Average Secondary status chance 10%. Sure Shot gives +1.5% proc

-Average Melee status chance 12%. Melee Prowess gives +1.8% proc

-Average Primary status chance 16%. Rifle Aptitude gives a whopping +2.4% proc

2.4% proc chance does not affect gameplay or weapon build decisions in any way. But let's assume you're building a focused proc weapon with a 50% status chance. "Surely it will find use here" I thought. Baseline status mods still fall flat when applied to their own niche builds, giving a measly 7.5%. Hybrid mods would give 30%! That's 4x the procs on top of 60% increased dmg!

Breath new life into the basic status mods, give them another chance! (proc chance, get it? Huehue, I'm so punny)

=Lower End Weapons=

I understand some weapons are given 0% chance for gameplay reasons; I also understand why rapid fire weapons have a low status chance, this is not about that good sir/madam.

Many weapons have 1-5% proc chance, especially secondaries. What is the point? Why bar certain weapons from effectively utilizing the proc system? Fully loaded with status chance mods, you BARELY break 2-10%. But why use up two or three mod slots for meager returns?

I understand some weapons are "lower tier" and thus have reduced stats. But this is effectively removing certain weapons from the proc system. At 10-15% a player can enjoy passively getting procs without investing mod slots. At 5% or less, you rarely see procs and it isn't worth investing in to bring it up to a viable level. Sad day. =<

So what do you think? I know there's a lot of other issues, but this stands out to me as mechanically dysfunctional. There's a chance to expand gameplay!

~Anon out! =3

Edited by -CM-AnonCat

I feel that lower tier weapons should have decent proc. A new player will barely dith much damage, they won't have much elementals and they'll quickly face some strong enemies (Earth has lots of those, including Eximus). Therefore, those impact/puncture/slash proc could be life savers.

Players that get to weapons like Marelok, which has high status, would be one shotting most enemies of the system. They won't feel that procs are that useful most of the time, I think, so why should those weapons even have such high stats?

So yeah, I believe some of those weapons should have higher status while the basic status mods should be buffed. DE did express their approval (?) on the latter though, so that's good.

Edited by Casardis

What I would prefer to see is that the event mods continue to work how they do, and the base status chance mods actually add a flat number instead of a percentage of the base number. So putting a max rank Rifle Aptitude on a weapon with 0% proc chance would boost it to 15% proc.

Presumably for balance this bonus chance wouldn't be affected by the percent bonus of the other mods.

What I would prefer to see is that the event mods continue to work how they do, and the base status chance mods actually add a flat number instead of a percentage of the base number. So putting a max rank Rifle Aptitude on a weapon with 0% proc chance would boost it to 15% proc.

Presumably for balance this bonus chance wouldn't be affected by the percent bonus of the other mods.

I can dig it...

Theres a tradeoff on weapons you now

Like High damage = no/low status

Or the weapon just stinks

If every weapon got higher status then the current high status weapons would be obsoleted

Why get 90% status when you can get 80 and way more damage?

That would be one way to do it. Would be an interesting method, but for consistency and simplicity sake I think they should be straight up buffed.

Most mods with a single mechanic, excel in that mechanic, while hybrid mods make a trade off. But pure status mods are outclassed and rendered moot options.

Mods are weird.

Some single stat mods are worse than dual stat mods - E.G. The status ones (15% status chance on the single stat. 60% status and 60% elemental damage on the Dual Stat ones and 40% status and 60% crit chance on the Nightmare one)

Some Corrupted mods give less benefit than their single stat variants - E.G. Hornet Strike (220% damage) vs Magnum Force (66% damage and -33% accuracy), also Point Strike (150% crit chance) vs Critical Delay (48% crit chance and -36% fire rate)

The corrupted mods are even worse, due to some of them actually being comparable to the single stat variants (Heavy Caliber's 165% damage and Serration's 165% damage)

Many weapons have 1-5% proc chance, especially secondaries. What is the point? Why bar certain weapons from effectively utilizing the proc system? Fully loaded with status chance mods, you BARELY break 2-10%. But why use up two or three mod slots for meager returns?

I understand some weapons are "lower tier" and thus have reduced stats. But this is effectively removing certain weapons from the proc system. At 10-15% a player can enjoy passively getting procs without investing mod slots. At 5% or less, you rarely see procs and it isn't worth investing in to bring it up to a viable level.

I consider this to be on par with Crits.

Weapons with crit chances less than 15% basically can't mod for crit and do any good. It means that all the crit mods are relegated purely to those weapons with 15%+ crit chance at base, even then some with 15-20% crit chance still might not be worth modding for if their crit damage multiplier is still low...

How I feel about this? I feel that it's okay. It gives weapons a defining feature - Instead of "Oh, what's the point in the Tysis if my Lato can also get high status chance!" or "Meh, Soma's okay, but my Boltor can also do lots of crits!"

Status procs can be very strong - Especially some offensive ones like Slash (Armour and shield ignoring Bleed procs), Viral (50% health reduction), Magnetic (75% shield removal), Corrosive (Armour reduction - Can stack until there's no armour left on a target) then of course there's other which are more defensive in nature and can provide significant CC such as Radiation (Essentially single target Chaos), Cold (Slowdown), Blast (AoE Knockdown), Impact (Stagger) etc.

As such, high status weapons are often weaker in the direct damage front than other weapons with little to no status chance - This is a balancing point (Useful procs or direct damage) - If it was possible to mod good status chance on to innately high damage weapons, then there'd be little point to these lower damage high status chance weapons.