Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Rank Underclocking

DirtyIrishman

Not sure if this is the right section for this, so feel free to move it.

For the longest time I've felt that Warframe should have the option to manual choose what rank your mod is when you equip it, rather than needing to level the same mod multiple times to varying degrees. Warframe is primarily all about customizing your build how you want it, however one thing it lacks in is this. For example, lets say I have a build for Rhino using Rank 10 Vitalization, but then I want to use Vitalization on my Excalibur but I only need Rank 5. I have three options here, either rethink my build with the Rank 10 Vit in mind, get another Vitalization and get that to Rank 5, or just not use Vitalization in my build. Obviously the last option isn't really an optional at all so we'll ignore that.

If I have already spent the credits and cores to raise Vitalization to Rank 10, why can't I have the option to at that point pick what Rank I want to use it at when I equip it? It would honestly be incredibly simple to do, just make it so that when a mod is equipped you can then click on the little bars on the side to tell it what Rank you want it. So with the example above I'd equip the Rank 10 Vitalization, then click the fifth bar and it would drop it to Rank 5. In the even that you try to equip a mod that requires to much capacity to use, it would drop it down to a rank that could be equipped automatically.

I would even be happy if this feature could only be used on a mod once it had been maxed out, or if it required an item to be used on the mod to unlock it once it was maxed out.

Edited by Severanth

People have brought this up and Steve seemed very against it. Don't remember his exact quotes but the general thing I gor from it was that you chose to rank up your mods, now you have to use them like that. I'd love to underclock my mods because I think the idea of expecting me to have 11 versions of Redirection or something just to be able to fit it into any build is insane. Most of the time my builds are left with just a little mod power, more than an unranked mod requires, not enough for a max rank mod (also apply this to not being able to equip mods to a weapon and sentinel at the same time >:() It's worse when it comes to event mods I'd like to use but since I only have one, I naturally take it to max. We really should be able to underclock but don't expect it to ever happen unless we (the community) makes an extremely good case to sway Steve over to our side!

I've wanted a feature like this since like U7

Edit: Also, to respond to the point above me, are you sure that wasn't in regards to "unfusing mods?" I only vaguely remember what you're talking about, but he did mention something like that. If it was the case that he didn't like the unfusing idea, then this isn't really the same thing. Can anyone find the devstream where it was mentioned?

Edited by Meenmu

you chose to rank up your mods, now you have to use them like that.

This seems like a dumb expectation when you consider that many warframes have many different needs, and the same goes for weapons as well. Where one thing may fit a mod in at max, another may not or may not really need it. This allows for an extra layer of customization without having to have a million copies of all your mods to do. Maybe instead of using that extra forma so I can put in a maxed rank mod, I'd rather just throw in the same mod at 50% because the extra bit would have been overkill anyways.

Or in the event that I have a new weapon or frame, this would allow me to throw in mods as unranked and then scale them up as I level the weapon or frame instead of only being able to equip unranked or low ranked mods until 30 and then putting in all my good mods.

Also underclocking is a good term for this, changed the thread title.

This seems like a dumb expectation

I agree. I can understand programming this might be a lot of work, but saying we'll never be able to underclock because we ranked our mods to max it and now we have to live with that when this game is based around the mod system and the name of the game is getting and ranking up mods, it's not fun. ):

I think just allowing the underclocking of the Warframe mods/default Sentinel precepts mods/default Kubrow precept mods would be fine (meaning these mods will now not drop from enemies), since I do see the reason why the developers wanted to keep the current mod system as it is (make the game go a bit longer), but they may have been too heavy-handed on it. 

I don't really think that the current way mod ranks work adds any longevity to the game, the longevity for the most part comes from the hunt for your Mods. Once you have them it doesn't take hardly any effort to rank them up.

I think that is what the developers want for now until they get on with making the game more fun to play instead of hunting for mods. 

After all, if we really take apart the game, the core element is just grinding for mods and such (and maybe a few others, but they have escaped my mind for now). 

I don't really think that the current way mod ranks work adds any longevity to the game, the longevity for the most part comes from the hunt for your Mods. Once you have them it doesn't take hardly any effort to rank them up.

Oh yeah, that Heavy Caliber, Blind Rage, Narrow Minded, or Bite. No effort. s: But seriously, I don't see how disallowing the underclocking of mods would add longevity. I'm not about to spend time ranking up mods to be able to fit any mod in any setup, because that would take a lot of unnecessary time, effort, and resources.

Oh yeah, that Heavy Caliber, Blind Rage, Narrow Minded, or Bite. No effort. s: But seriously, I don't see how disallowing the underclocking of mods would add longevity. I'm not about to spend time ranking up mods to be able to fit any mod in any setup, because that would take a lot of unnecessary time, effort, and resources.

Insert Credit, insert Core, get Rank. Compared to the amount of time it normally takes to farm said mod, that's not really any effort. Cores are pretty easy to get, and for the most part Credits are pretty easy to get as well, comparatively they are a hell of a lot easier to get than some of the rare mods.

I personally would like the mechanism as a player (very beneficial for me and others), but then again, the game does have DE(L) as one of the (controlling) stakeholders, and they do have their reasons as to why they decided to not allow mod under-clocking. 

I think once the Focus system is online, then DE(L) would consider underclocking mods. 

Not sure if this is the right section for this, so feel free to move it.

For the longest time I've felt that Warframe should have the option to manual choose what rank your mod is when you equip it, rather than needing to level the same mod multiple times to varying degrees. Warframe is primarily all about customizing your build how you want it, however one thing it lacks in is this. For example, lets say I have a build for Rhino using Rank 10 Vitalization, but then I want to use Vitalization on my Excalibur but I only need Rank 5. I have three options here, either rethink my build with the Rank 10 Vit in mind, get another Vitalization and get that to Rank 5, or just not use Vitalization in my build. Obviously the last option isn't really an optional at all so we'll ignore that.

If I have already spent the credits and cores to raise Vitalization to Rank 10, why can't I have the option to at that point pick what Rank I want to use it at when I equip it? It would honestly be incredibly simple to do, just make it so that when a mod is equipped you can then click on the little bars on the side to tell it what Rank you want it. So with the example above I'd equip the Rank 10 Vitalization, then click the fifth bar and it would drop it to Rank 5. In the even that you try to equip a mod that requires to much capacity to use, it would drop it down to a rank that could be equipped automatically.

I would even be happy if this feature could only be used on a mod once it had been maxed out, or if it required an item to be used on the mod to unlock it once it was maxed out.

Makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I'd really like this feature too.  A lot of my mods aren't max rank because I spend so many cores, spare mods, and credits on making duplicates of all my used mods at different levels that there's nothing left to max out the big ones at any given time.

• 1 month later...

yeah having like 3 narrow minded, blind rage overextended...etc just to fit the needs of the different warframes is a real pain to get  i  think to underclock the mods at least when you reach max rank should be a good feature for the game beacuse some are so hard to get to max or even just to get them to r7. i hope that one day they add this.

Paraphrasing an old devstream "We'll look at it maybe, but you wont just be able to bring back your mod without negative repercussions. I mean, we have enemy that splatter you, it is a game with some consequence." From memory so feel free to tell me how off I am.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is if they do add it and make it too restricting it defeats the point of having it, the main reason for having the ability to do this would be  so that I could have one mod in two frames/weapons at two different levels without needing to keep more than one copy of the same mod. The only way for this to work in my opinion would be if the level of the mod is chosen in the arsenal screen and only saved on that build, so that if say I put one mod at max rank one one frame, and then one mod at minimum rank on another they will retain their ranks even when I switch between the two frames. If they for example made you pay credits to revert or change rank, you would the effectively have to pay credits every time you wanted to change between these two frames and now it severely restricts our freedom to play whatever we want however we want.