Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Realism (My Version Of The Braton)

Hunterfox

1 thing about the picture is wrong dude, the braton is a bullpup weapon meaning the clip is in the stock.

I thought about making it a bullpup, but there are a lot of reasons I didn't. I couldn't find any place for an ejection port on the back of the weapon, and with a weapon this short, two problems are created. First, there isn't enough room in the stock to fit the action of the weapon--the Braton isn't long enough. Second, the ejected shells coming out of a weapon so short would probably hit the operator in the face (which is a REALLY uncomfortable experience).

Also, from a modern military standpoint, bullpups have proven to have awkward/not very ergonomic control schemes. The Braton seems to be the right length to be a PDW, and I don't know about you, but I want my PDW's fast, easy to control, easy to reload in a CQC scenario.

*the in-game reload animation also shows the Warframe slapping the mag in front of the grip, not behind it

Edited by Hunterfox

The Braton is a rifle, not a PDW. Those by definition are an SMG replacement and all use subcaliber ammunition. In game terms, it's primary (rifle) vs. secondary (pistol).

As for bullpup ergonomics, well, have to call BS on it. The ergos on a rifle like the Steyr AUG are quite good. The only issue with the AUG (and similar bullpups--designed from the getgo as bullpups) is the lack of ambidexterity. Now bullpup conversions are almost invariably bad in a number of ways, and ergonomics are one of them. Then there's the FN2000, about which the less said the better.

Ammo...somehow I doubt the factions of Warframe are using cartridges designed in the mid-20th century, but the point about grineer impact damage is interesting. In the best tradition of Elmer Keith, impact would be supplied by diameter and weight. In modern terms, this would be a "thumper" cartridge. Something along the lines of .50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, or the 9x39 cartridge.

5.56X45mm is the caliber of the Braton series, what would be the caliber of of Grineer weaponry then? Also since grineer focus mainly around impact assume slugs. 

Scaling the Gragata against a 2.5m lancer makes it look approximately 14mm. They're almost autocannons. Goes to show how crazy Warframe guns and technology are.

Ammo...somehow I doubt the factions of Warframe are using cartridges designed in the mid-20th century

Indeed. Especially since they have hammerspace magazines, they can afford to do all kinds of things we can't today.

Oh god this is amazing. Please, do more. I need more of this. 

1 thing about the picture is wrong dude, the braton is a bullpup weapon meaning the clip is in the stock.

Mag. Mag. It is a bloody magazine IT IS NOT THAT HARD GAH

Edited by Atrophon

Burston > Braton

but Braton Prime > Buston Prime

Also, could we get a smaller before/after pic of the braton before your changes, just to better highlight what your did, OP?

Looks nice though

I disagree.

Burston Prime > Braton Prime. At least in my experience, the increased accuracy and base damage go a long way. Also I'm a status builder, so the 15% vs the 10% is nice.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in a bullpup configuration? Just eyeballing it it seems like it might fit better if you moved the grip section forward to a little past where the magazine currently is, and moved the magazine back towards the center of the stock. Right now the magazine is getting a little crowded by the pistol grip, and in a weapon that short a bullpup configuration would make a lot better use of the length.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in a bullpup configuration? Just eyeballing it it seems like it might fit better if you moved the grip section forward to a little past where the magazine currently is, and moved the magazine back towards the center of the stock. Right now the magazine is getting a little crowded by the pistol grip, and in a weapon that short a bullpup configuration would make a lot better use of the length.

thing is the braton base model isn't bullpup. Because the shell casing ejector is in front of the trigger.

Scaling the Gragata against a 2.5m lancer makes it look approximately 14mm. They're almost autocannons. Goes to show how crazy Warframe guns and technology are.

Indeed. Especially since they have hammerspace magazines, they can afford to do all kinds of things we can't today.

Now here another thing, lets look at the mag of the Grak(ata), there no way in hell it can carry up to 60 14mm rounds within that ball mag. I'll exclude the Tennos weapons that happen to hold 50 rounds in a otherwise small mag cause void science. But since Grineer don't really have access to *most Orokin void tech, they can't use the void to their own benefit. I'm going to assume that ball magazine contains chemicals that would harden the instant its exposed to a catalyst, while the box (at the front of the Grak, just below the barrel) contains that said catalyst, and would also cause another reaction, which would be an explosive reaction that would fly the ball of harden material out. *Most likely a ball of Ferrite, sinces it resistant to blast damage. (Please correct me on my assumption as I'm making a wild guess, also I suck at science, so I don't mind if you provide better theories).

Though if you think about the magazine design that I explained of the Grak also works with the Ignis, as there little modification between the two.

Edited by cryotech9020

Now here another thing, lets look at the mag of the Grak(ata), there no way in hell it can carry up to 60 14mm rounds within that ball mag. I'll exclude the Tennos weapons that happen to hold 50 rounds in a otherwise small mag cause void science. But since Grineer don't really have access to *most Orokin void tech, they can't use the void to their own benefit. I'm going to assume that ball magazine contains chemicals that would harden the instant its exposed to a catalyst, while the box (at the front of the Grak, just below the barrel) contains that said catalyst, and would also cause another reaction, which would be an explosive reaction that would fly the ball of harden material out. *Most likely a ball of Ferrite, sinces it resistant to blast damage. (Please correct me on my assumption as I'm making a wild guess, also I suck at science, so I don't mind if you provide better theories).

Though if you think about the magazine design that I explained of the Grak also works with the Ignis, as there little modification between the two.

heres what I think, the grakata and the ignis have the same model and reload animation. I think that the Ignis was the first one to be finished, but they decided to quickly make the grakata, so they didnt have enough time to make new animations for it so they just reused the Ignis animation. Becasue the Ignis reload animation fits perfectly with a flamethrower.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in a bullpup configuration?

Actually, the barrel would have only gained a couple inches if I had made it bullpup, since the Braton is so damn short anyway. I was trying to cram a realistic operating system into the Braton as it is without changing the silhouette or overall classic Braton shape TOO much. The thing that bothers me the most is actually the ridiculously short length of pull (only 8 inches from the stock to the trigger, you're gonna have to cramp your elbow quite a bit).

thing is the braton base model isn't bullpup. Because the shell casing ejector is in front of the trigger.

The base in-game Braton model doesn't even HAVE a shell ejection port. I replaced the Corpus engraving from the base model with a Corpus-engraved bolt carrier.

Actually, the barrel would have only gained a couple inches if I had made it bullpup, since the Braton is so damn short anyway. I was trying to cram a realistic operating system into the Braton as it is without changing the silhouette or overall classic Braton shape TOO much. The thing that bothers me the most is actually the ridiculously short length of pull (only 8 inches from the stock to the trigger, you're gonna have to cramp your elbow quite a bit).

Yeah, that's what I noticed. It seems like the ergonomics might be better in bullpup, but I'm not really sure. The main thing I noticed is that the handguard is crowding the magazine a lot, that wouldn't be convenient at all. I moved the handle and the magazine around in gimp, and while it's still awfully short it looks like it would be a heck of a lot more comfortable to hold.

I'm interested to see what you're gonna do with the Grineer guns.

I'm interested to see what you're gonna do with the Grineer guns.

I don't think it's even possible to make those realistic from a modern military standpoint. LOL

I was playing with the idea of making the Boltor a light machine with flechette ammunition, but I'm not quite sure how it would work out. The Braton might be a once-of because it was relatively easy to make it work. I guess the Burston would also be pretty easy, but it's no fun if it's too easy.