The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Channeling... Is It Actually Used?

(PSN)LeviathanTM

Question

18 answers to this question

I guess I must be using it incorrectly or actually expecting channeling to do something it wont. In my mind, I am expecting an energy mod mutation (I know broken as fuuuu) but running into heavy's or any other tough enemies I don't ever use my melee weapon unless reload time is slow and I am surrounded or unless I want to level the weapon by using it. 

i use channeling only for healing 

- non channel build full base dmg

- only life strike so i can absorb when channeling..

have fun being immortal melee only ( if you do it right offc )

edit: oyeah if your gon use a life strike build advice: turn channeling off after healing lol

Edited by NickBoay

All weapons benefit the same percentage of damage from channeling.

Percentage, yes, but not amount of damage, and they also all have the same channeling cost per hit. This means that channeling gives you more extra damage per energy on higher-damage weapons.

Personally though, I mostly just use Channeling with life strike to heal myself.

Edited by Tails-san

For many weapons, channeling is the best way to achieve the highest DPS possible- for pure-damage builds, it's a must. I use it on any weapon that can fit it without sacrificing something more important. However, melee weapons are also generally weaker than ranged weapons in terms of DPS, even with melee combos stacking over time; their main advantage lies in coptering and life steal, with exceptions in stealth-play and Hysteria. Ammo conservation is another notable perk, but it can't replicate the kind of damage your Primary and Secondary weapons can achieve.

Life Strike is pretty much the only other channeling mod I use, other than Focus Energy (which kinda counts) and Corrupt Charge (which can increase damage nicely, though whether it's worth dropping an elemental depends on the spots you've already used). A final exception may be Quickening, which I've personally never used, but could have a use in trying to get super-quick combo counters/Berserker procs from. It might also work on coptering, but I've never tested it so I can't say for sure- but if it does work, it wouldn't require Berserker procs or channeling energy, since channeling energy consumption is based on the number of strikes that hit the opponents.

I usually mod channelling for

- High efficiency for caster frame who has energy generation, so it can use frequently. (Killing blow, Reflex Coil)

- High damage for high damage finisher weapon, it will drain a lot energy per hit, so I use it sparingly and finishing a downed enemy. (Killing Blow, Currupted Charge, Reflex Coil and Focus Energy if need corrosive damage)

- Health restore, very inefficient but it works quite nicely when I need health in a middle of fight. (Life Strike)

If you use Killing Blow and Reflex Coil instead of two elements, you're going to do about 30% more damage per attack, at the cost of one energy/swing. However, if you channeled with the element setup, you'd do more damage at a much higher cost. Because you can channel just the special hits, it makes far more sense to not channel most attacks and only channel the finishers - you'd get higher DPS and probably less energy used.

Any weapon with a high attack rate will have poor channel efficiency. This holds true for all weapons with decent crit and Zerker installed.

My 'general' advice would be to ignore channeling mods, and only channel special hits, slide attacks and finishers. The only setup that works well for Channeling is with a frame setup  (no shields and rage, or trinity) that allows you to use a channel build WITHOUT installing Reflex Coil. And specialty setups like only using a melee for channeled slides with quickening or stacking combo counter for Bladestorm, etc.

i figured OP would mention this but Focus Energy + Reflex coil and WITHOUT any mods that consume channel efficiency percentage, makes your hits free of charge , focus + reflex = 100% efficiency tested it and no energy was taken from me tat day ^^) , cant use life strike etc if you want a "channel for free" build however you can take advantage by adding elemental dmg , and for example killing blow , and channel it the entire mission if u feel like it wich every hit being OP ( well i must admit i tested on dragon nikana so no wonder its op).