Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who Misses Charge Attacks? Returning Confirmed-Edition + Poll

BoomToon43

No, I do not actually. With the current system along with the DPS of the end tier weapons charge attacks would be too slow to be remotely viable now. 

Very little has changed stat wise for most DPS weapons. They just got a chance to shine now that charge attacks are gone.

And having charge attacks back would give us some variety in our melee weapons again, or at least would give heavy weapons a purpose again and bring back a style of play people liked for its effect and the feeling it provided.

I waaaaay prefer melee 2.0, faster, funner, and variety, also looks way cooler, I feel more like a ninja, and ninjas play free(:

Melee 2.0 gave us stances that waste our time looking flashy and being inefficient (unless against infested and just button mashing, then it wont really matter since everything runs into the combos anyways), unless they are specific stance mods where they have specific combos that massively boost your damage.

So for the vast majority of weapons... stances are just a mod cap boost, with quick melee mashing and for some weapons like the Serro the quick melee attack style is simply better then the stance style.

Melee 2.0 is not as much fun as melee 1.0, it does not really have that gratifying feeling of launching a mob into the next room with the sheer weight and force of your weapon. Or seeing them split in half such that the torso and legs go flying in separate directions. You just... slash at a mob that does not really react to you hitting it.

All melee 2.0 did really was change which weapons were the best, and all of the non heavy weapons that could compete with charge weapons never changed their place. They were the best of their style, and the charge weapons were dethroned for being in the at junk or around the junk pile level.

I honestly wish that stances would be changed so that instead of fixed animation combos, it would grant us inputs that we could use to make our own combos. The combos we have now would fit a side scrolling beat-em-up game like Elsword, but even that game has the combos be much faster and more dynamic with many points where you can cancel the combo to perform a different one. There are pages of custom player made combos and some of them are pretty amazing.

I was thinking that if you are in melee mode one could use the reload botton as a heavy attack. This would add more complexity to the combos and would give that button a use while in melee mode. Maybe landing a heavy attack could help in keeping the damage mutipler longer. This would require you to weave heavy and light attacks in combos to keep your damage high inbetween groups of mobs. Not sure how the coding would work, but it is a thought.

Edited by Jinkaza

At least when charge attacks existed, I use it and did so often.  With the combo/stances, I don't use combos and do need to and I don't use melee channeling when I can use that energy for my warframe powers.   It would be great to put charge attacks back in the game along with melee 2.0 and up somehow.  Possibly in corporate it in the combos or have it as a separate mode or something.  If there was a point to using combos, I would use them, but there is no point at all except to showoff when not fighting enemies

• 3 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I do miss charge attacks, but there was really very little point to using normal attacks when charge attacks could be done instead (I'm looking at you galatine users), unless you had those high attack speed type weapons such as dual-something or maybe an Orthos. Also, charge attacks had almost no down side, making it very spammable in just about every situation. Surrounded by infested? Charge attack with a heavy weapon, utilizing a charge build of course, and your monster problems are gone (until the next wave comes in). At least channeling drains your energy. Whether you run a channeling efficiency build or not is a different story.

I don't mind if it came back, but it shouldn't replace channeling. I know a lot of people who prefer channeling over charging, and would be a tad irritated if the system was reverted. Plus, what's not to like about the trail of energy that tails your weapon during a channeling phase? Almost feels like I'm wielding a light saber when using a sword-type melee weapon.

The only problem with having channeling and charge attacks is that for charge weapons (such as galatine) channeling would just make nothing compete. We could see 100k damage charge attacks from galatines before melee 2.0. Now imagine that with channeling on top.

Channeling would have to be made not to apply to charge attacks.

The problem that fast weapons had compared to charge weapons was lack of damage. Give non charge weapons a comparable damage level (just split over many hits) and they would be able to stand next to charge weapons. Hell some people would probably pick the non charge weapons simply for the speed as most charge weapons were generally overkill except at high wave/time in endless.

Hell, even though I had a Galatine built for charge I still had other weapons built for beating the S#&$ out of things since it was fun to hack and slash through infested just like it was fun to cleave swaths of infested in half in one blow.

If they come back with a certain cost, charge attacks & channeling may go along... To avoid stoopid galatine spammers,for instance.

I waaaaay prefer melee 2.0, faster, funner, and variety, also looks way cooler, I feel more like a ninja, and ninjas play free(:

Not entirely false, but I'd feel like a space ninja the day we get proper stealth...

what the hell is the difference with currently spamming E?

Ok im going to put it in a way you can understand

"I will never understand why people want to just spam the same animation all over again..."

The current combo system use only "E" becouse adding more keys it will a totally mess in the current gameplay.

Because a multikey system without timing is better than a single key with timing system in a game where the gameplay is this fast. 

if with "multikey" you are talking about using 2 keys to remove the timing system ? becouse im totally ok with that but having to do a totally dance dance revolution for only a single combo is a big no.

the current combo system is a lot better than charge attacks and dealth with it charge attacks was a totally broken feature literally bashing any other stat no related to charge attack or time, im glad its gone.

Edited by Dasmir

Ok im going to put it in a way you can understand

"I will never understand why people want to just spam the same animation all over again..."

The current combo system use only "E" becouse adding more keys it will a totally mess in the current gameplay.

I'm not asking for more keys, but barely anyone uses combos. The only weapon that actually does benfit from combos are long swords with Crimson Dervish, and any weapon with Cleaving Whirlwind but there are still better alternatives. Quick melee obviously still much more efficient than the combo system and you say that charge system was broken.

I'm not asking for more keys, but barely anyone uses combos. The only weapon that actually does benfit from combos are long swords with Crimson Dervish, and any weapon with Cleaving Whirlwind but there are still better alternatives. Quick melee obviously still much more efficient than the combo system and you say that charge system was broken.

"barely anyone use combos" totally nope, all combos has something damage mod or status proc in the moves so it will always be better use it over quick melee also the combo count multiplier damage bonus.

Crimson Dervish and Cleaving whirlwind are the Boltor prime of melee and has nothing to do with a bad perfomance of the combo system its like saying the old galatine with 250 charge damage and 20% crit was totally balanced.

"barely anyone use combos" totally nope, all combos has something damage mod or status proc in the moves so it will always be better use it over quick melee also the combo count multiplier damage bonus.

Crimson Dervish and Cleaving whirlwind are the Boltor prime of melee and has nothing to do with a bad perfomance of the combo system its like saying the old galatine with 250 charge damage and 20% crit was totally balanced.

Let me ask you a question. How would reimplementing charge attacks effect melee 2.0? I've played with tons of high ranked Tenno which are MR13+ and they barely bothered to use combos in a T4S. Combos are clunky as heck and there's no satisfaction of doing a combo to begin with.

Melee 1.0 Hold E

Melee 2.0 Spam E.

So what's the difference now? Combos are practically spam EEEEEE and require no skill like melee 1.0. If charge attacks were implemented back in heavies would be on par with the rest of the weapons.

They all do something better than spam E, but generally spam E is easier to pull off while achieving a mostly comparable result if not better in some cases. 

The dashes are mostly incapable of catching fleeing targets so they're added value is rather negligable, the bonus damage hits are usually tied in to a very simple combo any ways so they don't contribute to the point. 

The AoE style ones are in a small range where we play in a largely gunbased game. And against infested a slide attack is faster to get to. 

The combos on paper are more valuable, but not in practice or in execution. 

Edited by LukeAura

Melee 1.0 Hold E

Melee 2.0 Spam E.

So what's the difference now? Combos are practically spam EEEEEE and require no skill like melee 1.0. If charge attacks were implemented back in heavies would be on par with the rest of the weapons.

"The spaming E argument !"

I already answered that and heavies current state is fault of DE leaving them with the old charge attack stats like any other outdated thing DE leave.

Edited by Dasmir

I personally think that both system charge and melee 2.0 need improvement, not ditching one for the other.

This probably will never ever happen in warframe, but what i wish for is a multi key system that requires fine adjusting to use. For example  e is horizontal slash and r vertical and t would be heavy slash. Lets take a dakra for example, you do the keys as i said but then you decided to go stronger in and press t+e which makes the frame do a flip and do heavy dmg with a horizontal slash (sorry for S#&$ty explanation)

Like this we would be able to make our own combos, and not have to choose from preset ones which we have to incredibly time for them to hit. But these are just my 2 cents xD...

Edited by MihawkDulacr1

I imagine if charge attacks did return that would be put back in differently, no the same old broken second damage type charge attacks, so it'd be more like this, the galitine for example would have a 4.0 multiplier, while weapons like Fang would have an 1.5-2.0 so even light melee weapons would even light melee weapons would have nice charge damage. Here i'll make a chart for the multipliers

30-45 dmg-x4.0

46-50 dmg- x3.0

61-75 dmg-x2.0

76-115 dmg-x1.5

crit weapon like the dual ichor, dual zoren, dual cleavers, anykros(prime), furax(mk1), Obex, kogate  fragor, atterax, and venka would all have the dmg on the chart be placed their crits so,

Dual Ichor-105

Dual Zorens-90

Dual Cleavers-105

Ankyros- 60

Ankyros Prime-76

Furax-70

Mk1-Furax-60

Obex- 50

Kogate- 70

Fragor- 115

Atterax- 85

Venka-111