Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who Misses Charge Attacks? Returning Confirmed-Edition + Poll

BoomToon43

I will never understand why people want to just spam charge attacks all over again...

because say you run a stealth mission as Ash or Loki... whoever with a shade sentinel

not only do you get  a damage bonus form charge attacking while invisible but say you had a crit build on the dark sword (that weapon flourished from charge attacks but now its just useless) you could've potentially one-to-three shotted a level 60 enemy

As I recall from waay back the reason people used charge attacks over the so-called 'useless' normal attacks was because the former ignored armor. It was all about practicality. I really doubt anyone wanted charge attacks completely removed but instead more viable normal attacks so we could mix and match and break the montony. Adding charge attacks back would do just that to our current system because the channeling aspect would force charge attacks to scale off of normal attacks. (i.e. killing blow would not affect it like it used to and completely overshadow pressure point).

tldr; Adding charge attacks back would add more diversity as it would be a sidegrade. Players could then mix and match the standard combos with charge attacks, slide attacks and even the new air attacks for 'true' situational combos.

I miss them. It's not like I really dislike the new melee system with the combos, but tbh, I'm not the biggest fan of it.

We should be given options to play as we like.

If player A wants to use combos, go for it. But if player B wants to use charge attacks, go for it.

Even better, combine the two would really spice up the melee system.

As it is now, I still rather spam EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, than running around using combos.

As I recall from waay back the reason people used charge attacks over the so-called 'useless' normal attacks was because the former ignored armor. It was all about practicality. I really doubt anyone wanted charge attacks completely removed but instead more viable normal attacks so we could mix and match and break the montony. Adding charge attacks back would do just that to our current system because the channeling aspect would force charge attacks to scale off of normal attacks. (i.e. killing blow would not affect it like it used to and completely overshadow pressure point).

tldr; Adding charge attacks back would add more diversity as it would be a sidegrade. Players could then mix and match the standard combos with charge attacks, slide attacks and even the new air attacks for 'true' situational combos.

^ This! That's exactly what I would've wanted from Melee 2.0: Lots of different attacks for different situations, overall variety, and FUN!

They all do something better than spam E, but generally spam E is easier to pull off while achieving a mostly comparable result if not better in some cases. 

The dashes are mostly incapable of catching fleeing targets so they're added value is rather negligable, the bonus damage hits are usually tied in to a very simple combo any ways so they don't contribute to the point. 

The AoE style ones are in a small range where we play in a largely gunbased game. And against infested a slide attack is faster to get to. 

The combos on paper are more valuable, but not in practice or in execution. 

Depends on the combo.

1. Quick attacks on something like the Galatine , Fragor, Glaive, etc. don't give the ability to perform AoE attacks that are useful for taking out enemy groups at once. A Glaive performing a combo can clear out rooms faster than just doing quick attacks I find, especially if the group is rather large.

2. Agree with the dashes, but usually the dashes are to allow for faster movement between targets in a group as opposed to catching fleeing targets. Also, the dash on Blind Justice has incredibly long range and hits everything like Slash Dash, and it'd be great if all the combo dashes work the same way.

3. AoE is never useless, because people don't just sit still waiting for an enemy to come to them, you can go to the enemy and bring your AoE to them  - that's what all the Warframe's mobility is for. There are also situations where you can't slide attack simply because of lack of momentum, like say getting into the mistake of being pinned down by an Infested mob.

4. They do need to fix a lot of the combos to be useful, but a good portion of them are in fact rather great at what they do - I'd rather have Cleaving Whirlwind's Broken Bull combo than the same old hold charge ad infinitum on the Galatine, and I can never imagine not having Swirling Tiger's combos on my dual swords, or being unable to perform super spinning with Crushing Ruin on a Fragor, or going back to Glaives being only ranged weapons on a melee slot.  

Besides, one thing people miss about the difference between quick melee and combos is that the latter actually saves on stamina - multihit attacks from a combo count as a single attack as far as stamina is concerned, so you can actually regenerate stamina while attacking. Your Warframe lasts longer in melee doing melee combos rather than doing quick attacks.

I like the new melee but I do miss have some charge attacks. 

I think melee is still in need of further revision. For one I think quick melee should be removed, In its place put and rifle butt hit similar to other shooters that would always stagger enemies but have a 2 sec cooldown so that it could be used to interrupt an attack and give you a chance to get away or hopefully finish them off but not something you spam over and over because it does more dps than actually pulling out your sword.

Secondly the combo system needs tweaking. I think we need a second attack button so that we have a light and heavy attack which would open up new ways of pulling off combos rather than a pause here, a hold back while attacking there.

Thirdly to make the sword alone more fun and more practical more general utility needs to be added. Things such as sweeps, stuns, attacks that knock down an enemy, or knock them into the air that aren't burried in the middle of a long combo.. Combat that is akin to Devil May Cry, God of War, and other spectacle fighters. As well as tweaking some boss fights that are near impossible to do with melee (hitting sargas ruks weak point with melee)

Nearly 20 pages of old vets nostalgia...Keep it going guys!

I seriously don't understand why they removed it. It would have been a work of genius if we had charge attacks and combos,as planned.

Now the combo attacks have a weird hit detection,weapons don't really have the same impact (without a stance, my Fragor is now a child toy) and making people fly isn't as controlled and satisfying as before.

Please reintroduce them D.E....

Nearly 20 pages of old vets nostalgia...Keep it going guys!

I seriously don't understand why they removed it. It would have been a work of genius if we had charge attacks and combos,as planned.

Now the combo attacks have a weird hit detection,weapons don't really have the same impact (without a stance, my Fragor is now a child toy) and making people fly isn't as controlled and satisfying as before.

Please reintroduce them D.E....

yea i wish they would of let us know that they were removing them, i wouldn't of been so mad about them being 2 weeks late.

Edited by BoomToon43

We need to have charge attacks to balance the bad heavy weapons (Galatine). The damage should be a set amount and charge speed should be independent of attack speed. The two attacks should share mods, as well.

To balance that and keep things from getting out of hand, we should also have channeling values vary in terms of multipliers. It would make things more interesting and make melee more viable (Jaw Sword, etc). It would make melee more dynamic and it would be just plain fun to have charge attacks again. They still exist - look at glaives - it's just a matter of bringing them back.

If they restored the Galatine to its former glory by adding charge attacks and a good channeling multiplier, it would make it excellent at the cost of energy. It's this sort of balance that the game needs when it comes to melee.

Frankly, I don't much care for Channeling. It doesn't seem to be all that useful, really. It could just be replaced by light and heavy attacks, with heavy attacks functioning like charge attacks, and be affected by the charge attack modifiers, after they get converted back from their Channeling state.

Either that, or channeling needs some significant improvement. I think someone found that compared to an elemental build, most channeling builds barely did more damage, and in exchange, it both requires energy, and that the weapon be actively wielded, losing out significantly when you were just making quick attacks.

Frankly, I don't much care for Channeling. It doesn't seem to be all that useful, really. It could just be replaced by light and heavy attacks, with heavy attacks functioning like charge attacks, and be affected by the charge attack modifiers, after they get converted back from their Channeling state.

Either that, or channeling needs some significant improvement. I think someone found that compared to an elemental build, most channeling builds barely did more damage, and in exchange, it both requires energy, and that the weapon be actively wielded, losing out significantly when you were just making quick attacks.

definitely, when I found out channeling was replacing charge attacks,I thought the heavy weapons would have really high multipliers, like 3.0-4.0 damage multiplier,but I was sad when I found out that all the melee weapons have the same multiplier