Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Only Human

Kalenath

Till Death do us part

"Kalina?" Janet felt her world start to spin in circles. "Nikis' wife was named Kalina... He cried her name as... as he destroyed everything..." Serene laid a hand on Janet's and Janet surprised herself by gripping it tightly. Serene let her cling.

"I was his wife." The hologram Tenno said quietly. "For some definitions of the word, I still am. I am not gone. Not completely."

"But... you died..." Janet felt her sanity start to fray and Serene gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"I did." Kalina said quietly. "And it hurt Nikis very badly. He tried to be a good man. So very hard. It...wasn't who he was."

"Kalina. She is terrified." Serene said softly. Janet was shivering. "Janet..." She gave Janet's hand another squeeze. "It's okay. She isn't a ghost. Not a boogeyman of some kind. She is..." She paused as Kalina sighed.

"Technically, you could call me a ghost of sorts." Kalina said, kneeling so as to place herself below Janet. A visible means of showing she was not a threat."I am not going to hurt you, Janet. I won't." Her tone was...entreating now? Unshed tears shone in her eyes as well.

"How?" Janet begged, holding on to Serene's hand for dear life. "How can you be here?"

"Orokin was a time of wonders, Janet." Serene said quietly, not moving. Letting Janet work her way through her emotions. "And horrors. Some... people thought it was a good idea to keep copies of the minds of loved ones after those loved ones passed. It... spiraled out of control."

"Yes, it did." Kalina said softly. "Oh Janet, I am not your enemy. I am not here to hurt you. I want to help. Will you let me?" She begged.

"I don't know what to do!" Janet wailed and then she was sobbing. The next thing she knew, Serene was sitting on the bed, holding her gently as Janet sobbed uncontrollably. "I don't even like him!" Her voice trailed off into a wailing scream of horror and frustration.

"That's it, Janet..." Serene crooned softly. "Let it out."

It could have been minutes or hours later, but Janet finally ran out of tears. Serene gave her a squeeze and a cup found its way under her lips. She took a slow, careful sip and the water soothed her burning throat. She was shaking as Serene held her carefully with one hand and held the cup to her mouth with the other.

"Thank you, Lis." Serene's voice seemed to come from far away and Janet looked up to see a golden skinned form retreating toward the door. The woman had golden hoops on her forehead! Corrupted! Janet should have been afraid, but for some reason, she wasn't. "Easy, Janet. She  wanted to help."

"It's... always... something around you Tenno... isn't it?" Janet managed to gasp out. Serene chuckled without mirth. The Corrupted...bowed to Janet and left the room.

"Ah yes." Serene said quietly, giving Janet another squeeze. "Better?"

"Yes." Janet felt...lighter now. She wasn't alone in this. She had known that, intellectually. But having this kind of reassurance helped a great deal. "Thank you, Serene. Kalina?" She looked around, but the holo had vanished.

"She is still listening, but she had to vanish when Lis came in." Serene said with a sigh. "Rules, you understand."

"Not really." Janet said in a tiny voice, taking another sip from the cup that Serene held to her mouth. "But I will take your word for it."

"I don't know them myself." Serene said quietly. "The only ones who do are sworn not to speak of it. Caretakers of the Dead. Like Nikis." Janet tensed at the name, but then forced herself to relax. "What I do know is that many of our ancestor's shades reside in databases scattered around the remnants of the system. Orokin and Tenno alike." Something about that was familiar, but Janet pushed it aside.

"And that is what Nikis used, wasn't it?" Janet said slowly.

"I didn't see your vision, Janet." Serene said softly. "And from Eliza's reaction? I am glad. She is hard to shake, but she was. I have never heard her talking about getting drunk before. I think it was a joke, but I am not sure."

"It was...awful." Janet said, taking another slow, careful sip. "I saw... myself... lying dead at his feet... And he... he..." She slumped a bit.

"Who, Janet?" Kalina's voice preceded her appearing. "Who had killed you in the vision you saw?"

"Grineer." Janet said softly. Serene gave her another squeeze and Janet appreciated the comfort. "I don't know how or why, but she... I had bullet holes in..." She trailed off, unable to continue.

"It's okay, Janet." Serene said, holding her gently. "It will be okay."

"You don't know that!" Janet snapped, ire rising. "I can accept my death. I can."Serene and Kalina looked at her and Janet shook her head. "Part of being human is being mortal. The Board members may be able to live for hundreds or thousands of years for all I know, through judicious use of technology. But most of us? We couldn't afford such. Even if I wasn't gunned down or cut up... My life span wouldn't be more than a hundred and fifty years at best." Serene looked horrified now, but Kalina just nodded. "My job is dangerous. I accept that. I did when I served the Clergy and I did as an Operative for the Lotus. But this..." She shook her head. "This is..."

"Worse." Kalina said softly. Janet nodded. "I understand, Janet." Janet looked up at the holo and Kalina sighed deeply. "I didn't understand before I died. But I do now. There are worse things than death. Far worse things." Janet stared at her and Kalina shook her head. "Please don't ask. I can't tell you."

"I understand." Janet said with a small hiccup. "Need to know and I don't."

"I hope you never do." Kalina said sadly. "Anyway... Serene is here and I am here to try and help you face this mess."

"Because I am the cause of whatever happens." Janet said softly. She shook her head. "I don't even like him! He gives me the creeps!"

"He scared me too." Kalina said quietly, but she was smiling sadly. "But... Janet... Most of that is an act." Janet jerked, staring at the holo.  "...because the pain that dwells within him is so dark and terrible... If he lets it run loose..." The dead Tenno grimaced. "I don't need to say it."

"No." Janet shook her head vehemently. "It was madness, what he did. He...didn't care." She paused. "He said that actually." Kalina seemed to tense and Janet nodded. "He said 'I don't care'. I got the feeling that he had. Cared. But he didn't anymore."

"That is what I have feared." Kalina said sadly. "Our son died. Died a hero, but he died. Then the most ancient of Tenno enemies returned. You saw some of that." Kalina looked at Janet as Janet nodded slowly. "He was trying to die. He let an enemy strike him down. More than once." Serene looked horrified but Kalina shook her head. "People care for him. People admire him and didn't want to let him go. None of them had any idea what was happening to him. That his sanity was eroding. If he merges with the database as he is... He will destabilize it."

"He said 'I won the game'." Janet said in a monotone. Both Kalina and Serene both recoiled at that and Janet nodded. "I thought that was bad when I heard it. Vor was terrified when Nikis said that."

"Say no more!" Kalina commanded and Janet shut her mouth with a click. "The less I know of that potential future, the better." The holographic Tenno shook herself a little. "I am here because I knew and loved Nikis. Serene is here because of all of the Tenno alive and awake at the moment, she understands the darkness within him better than most." Janet looked at Serene who paled a bit but nodded. "We want to help. I don't know how though. All of us... the shades who reside in the databanks... have been trying to find alternatives. But... We also have to keep our searches from him and that is not easy. He is diligent in his duty. He always was." Fondness mixed with exasperation in the shade's tone.

"A Caretaker of the Dead..." Janet said softly. Kalina and Serene both nodded. "I never understood that particular nomenclature. But if you are not really gone... Then I guess it makes sense."

"Some." Kalina said with a sigh. "Nekros warframes allow the user to access the Orokin databanks. It is not magic although some have called it such. Necromancy was the ancient term for it. But it isn't. It is no different from manipulating programs on a computer, if on a slightly more...permanent scale."

"Any sufficiently advanced technology would be considered magic by users of any of less advanced technology." Janet said firmly. Kalina and Serene both looked at her and the human woman shrugged. "Yes, I read Arthur C. Clarke. Sue me." Serene was obviously trying not to chuckle as Janet smiled. "The Corpus used that occasionally. When they found a primitive colony, the Traders would occasionally use the 'magic' card. It didn't always work. But it was always better than killing people."

"I..." Serene shook her head. "I don't like what the Corpus does or how it does things. But the Orokin did those things and worse."

"Not all of them." Kalina said quietly. "But yes. Some of them." Something in her voice had Janet staring at the holo. "Yes, Janet. Orokin scientists killed me and took my body to experiment on." Janet's eyes went huge at that and Kalina nodded. "Nikis came looking and they caught him too. He was trying to act the nice guy. For me. To help me. They tricked him, hurt our kin using him. He did not react well to that."

"I would think not." Janet said quietly. "And Dust?"

"The people who had me were trying to recreate Tenno for their own use." Kalina said quietly. Janet's eyes got even more wide and Kalina smiled gently. "Might want to close your eyes, girl. They might fall out. Then where would you be?" Janet sputtered a bit at that, but nodded and relaxed. Kalina sighed and shook herself before continuing. "Those mad scientists made a young male from Nikis' and my DNA. Nikis called him 'Dustin' after my own father. He was... removed from the womb pod already infected. But he didn't change. So when Richard arrived... Nikis and Richard taught Dustin how to be Tenno."

"How did they get away?" Janet asked, caught up in the story.

"Oh, Nikis could have escaped anytime." Kalina sounded so sad now. "But he wouldn't leave me. I was brain dead from what had been done to me." Janet stared at her and Kalina shrugged. "The memories were there, but inaccessible. My body was alive and they were using it to grow clones." Janet hissed and Kalina nodded. "Didn't work out so well for them." The holo said dryly. "Richard and Nikis were bad enough apart. Together?" She shuddered dramatically.

"So your body died." Janet made the statement a question.

"Nikis killed it." Kalina said softly. Janet went still and the holo nodded. "I was dead already. But... trapped in the shell. Until they pushed him too far. He showed them what he really was. By the time the authorities got in to where they had been, Dustin, Nikis, Richard, and the clones were gone. There was one survivor from that entire side of the base and he was stark raving mad." Kalina shook her head. "Only a fool angers Nikis." She said with a shudder.

"I know." Janet said weakly. "But... If he loved you... and he loved Dustin... He has lost everything he loved."

"Yes. As I say, he has been trying to die." Kalina said sadly. "But we worry that if he does..." Janet inhaled and Serene hugged her again.

"He will cause more damage. Or go completely off the deep end, like I saw."Janet shook her head slowly. "Is there anything I can do?"

"You are going to have to talk to him." Kalina's voice was quiet, but Janet tensed anyway. "No matter what you choose, hiding things from him doesn't work. We will keep looking through records, Janet. You are not alone." The shade promised her. Then she was gone.

"I..." Janet felt tears start to fall again and dashed them away angrily. "I don't know what to say, what to do."

"For now, you don't have to do anything." Serene promised her. "You have had one hell of a shock. My recommendation -such as it is- is to rest for a while. We may not have any options now, but things will change. They always do." She gave Janet another squeeze and rose. She sat back in the chair she had been in before and smiled at Janet's expression. "We are not going to leave you alone. I can get some books sent in if you like. Or we can talk."

"Talk I think..." Janet said softly. "Not that I have a clue what to say."

"One thing..." Serene said slowly. "Another...entity spoke to Sara and Eliza after you saw what you did. After you fell asleep."

"Entity?" Janet asked, confused. "Oh... Yeah. I am not sure what it was. But it said it was my friend. That I saved it and it wanted to repay the favor."

"Yes." Now Serene looked decidedly uncomfortable. "It took the form of a nineteenth century Russian Princess. Called itself Mira."

"And... you do not trust that." Janet's words were not a question. "It did talk to me. Calmed me down. But I don't know... I couldn't tell if it was male or female. I wouldn't know a nineteenth century Russian Princess to look at one." Serene shared a chuckle with Janet at that.

"Me neither." Serene said with a smile. "You will be under surveillance at all times, until and unless Kalina comes back or sends word." Janet slumped but nodded.

"If anything happens to me... and Nikis...reacts..." Janet said slowly. "I think I need to talk to him. Soon."

"Let me tell them it is okay to monitor." Serene rose and walked to the door. She opened it and nodded to someone outside. "We are clear. Can you send word to Nikis that Janet needs to talk to him?"

"You just love making our lives difficult, don't you, Serene?" A sour voice preceded a young female into the room. Janet couldn't tell if she was Tenno or human. She had aspects of both, the curious vulnerability of a human and the confidence of a Tenno. She wore a gown very similar to the one Eliza had worn. "Hello Janet, I am Michelle. I will stay with you for a while."

"I can stay with her." Serene protested.

"Serene..." Michelle said with a smile. "Go on. Rocky needs you and you always feel better with him." Serene bristled a bit, but then nodded. "I won't eat her! Go on."

"Keep me informed." Serene asked as she leaned close to kiss Janet on the cheek. "We will help you, Janet. I don't know how, but we will." She was gone before Janet could recover from the shock of such a friendly farewell. It hadn't been erotic, just...

"She means well, but Serene often has the social graces of a thunderstorm." Michelle said sourly as she sat. "She walked alone for a long, long time."

"She does seem a good sort." Janet said, touching her cheek where Serene had given her the peck. "But not someone to anger. I saw what she left behind at Neptune." The agent shivered a bit. She tilted her head in curiosity. "Who is Rocky?"

"Her son." Michelle said with a smile. "Less than a year old and already a heartbreaker."

"Tenno?" Janet asked slowly. Michelle nodded and the agent sighed. "I... never thought of Tenno as having kids."

"The Tenno that most everyone sees won't." Michelle agreed. "Most Tenno that are out and about are Warriors. That is, they follow the Warrior's Path of the Tenno Code. But there are other paths. The Healer's Path that Iriana follows is just one of many."

"I see." Janet said with a nod. "So... do I need rehab now as well?"

"Your injuries have been healed to the best of our ability." Michelle said quietly. "But yes, you will need exercise to loosen the muscles. You can do anything you wish, within reason."

"As long as I stay in the room?" Janet asked slyly. She was not expecting Michelle to shake her head. "What?"

"You are not a prisoner, Janet." Michelle said calmly. "If you want to take a walk, or go for a swim, you can. A guard will accompany you, but that is more to keep you from being mobbed than anything else. People will be curious. You are a new face and they have no idea why you are here. We would rather they not be told. The last thing we need is a panic."

"I wish I didn't know." Janet grimaced. Then she perked up. "Swim?"

"Oh yes." Michelle said with a smile. "Great exercise and the water can be recycled nearly infinitely. Want to go? I could use one too. Sitting in meetings gets old." She groaned dramatically and Janet had to smile.

"A swim sounds marvelous." Janet said quietly. "I haven't done it since I left the Corpus. What do I do?"

"Come with me." Michelle held out a hand and Janet took it. Janet was amazed at how strong the young looking woman was. She pulled Janet to her feet without effort. Michelle nodded. "I was Tenno once, but Tenno do not rule and I will have to someday."

"I see." Janet said as Michelle led her towards the door. "Do you think you could tell me about humans becoming Tenno?" Michelle looked at her sidelong and Janet shrugged. "Serene mentioned something about that, but it doesn't seem plausible."

"Oh yeah, it happened." Michelle led the way out the door, a Mag Prime and a Banshee Prime forming up behind the pair. "Hayden Tenno was the First, but after him came others. Some were infected with the Technocyte virus, others were not..."

Behind them a small form appeared in the middle of the room. The being who had called herself Mira shook her head slowly.

Not that way, Janet. You will see. All too soon, you will see... My friend.

Edited by Kalenath

Till death do us apart i swear I have heard that somewhere before

'Till death do us part'

Part of the vows of marriage in most forms of Christianity and many other religions.

No, Janet is NOT going to marry Nikis. Putting that out there now.

Edited by Kalenath

Congratulation Kalenath.  My level of worry is now equaled only by my level of curiosity.

I really need a bloody Evangelion or something....

Someone tried building an Evangelion in a previous story. It didn't work out so well for them. Better to just grab some munchies, a drink and a chair. Kal puts on one heck of a show.

Someone tried building an Evangelion in a previous story. It didn't work out so well for them. Better to just grab some munchies, a drink and a chair. Kal puts on one heck of a show.

I think it was more like a Gundam.  Miguel's reaction to it was still bloody hilarious though.

Anyone have a spare nuke shelter?

Won't help you much, my naive young friend.

I think it was more like a Gundam.  Miguel's reaction to it was still bloody hilarious though.

I actually thought of it more like an unfinished Robotech/Macross Valkyrie. But yeah. Big fat TARGET...

:)

Surprises

Janet finished toweling herself off and smiled at Michelle who was doing the same. The pool hadn't been large, but it also hadn't had many people in it. The other swimmers had been as curious as Michelle had warned, but none had pressed too closely. The two Tenno guards at poolside were probably why. Michelle had kept up with Janet easily and both women had enjoyed the swim.

"Back to the room?" Janet asked, checking her suit.

The bodysuit she had been given repelled water like nobody's business.  She slid through the water like a greased eel. It would have provided life support in case of problems, which she hadn't had. She also coincidentally, wouldn't foul the water. All of the swimmers she had seen had worn similar full body suits. What was more interesting was the fact that the pool wasn't really one. It was an aquarium. Aquatic animals had come close to the two swimmers and looked at them, but left them alone. Janet hadn't recognized most of the animals.

"If you want." Michelle said with a nod. "You look tired."

"Stress and exercise." Janet agreed. "But I did need the exercise. Thank you." She said gratefully. "This has been... a bit much."

"A bit more than 'a bit' much." Michelle said with a snort that Janet matched. "But you are coping very well."

"You see a lot in training and then in the field." Janet said with a shrug. "But you knew that if you were Tenno."

"I was never a spy." Michelle replied easily. "While I did espionage missions on occasion, it wasn't my focus." She did not elaborate and Janet would not ask. The Princess nodded to the guard who took up station behind them. "You are handling it very well. Mother is impressed and she is hard to impress."

"The training that the Clergy agents go through is intended to make them the best they can possibly be." Janet said with a shrug. "Not superhuman, but as close as possible."

"Interesting." Michelle said with an odd look. "That sounds... similar to other training I have heard of. Elite troops of the Orokin age."

"Oh, we were not Orokin Marines or anything." Janet said with a laugh. "But we sure tried to be as close as we could." She sobered. "The job took all that and more sometimes." Michelle nodded and Janet sighed. "Yeah. I guess rest would be good. I am betting that talking to Nikis will not be fun."

"Ya think?" Michelle asked with a comical expression and Janet had to laugh. She liked this woman who was not a Tenno anymore. She wasn't like any Princess that...

Something was wrong! Janet could feel...something happening. She was...being pulled. But... where? And by what?

"Janet?" Michelle's voice came from far away and Janet forced herself to focus on the other woman. "What is wrong?" The other woman demanded, the guards moving close.

"I...don't know..." Janet gasped out as she felt herself start to fray. "Help me!" She begged as the world slipped from her fingers.

When Janet could see again, she wished she couldn't. She was standing in the middle of a mass of infested flesh. The deck of the ship she could see was totally covered by Infested material. Despite being obviously incorporeal, she could feel the wrongness that surrounded her. All around, she could see masses of Infested. Chargers, Leapers, Runners, Ancients... She quailed inside. While working for the Corpus, she had tried to infiltrate Infested ships occasionally in the line of duty and had always been forced to flee in short order. The Infested shared some kind of link. No one had ever been able to define it to her satisfaction and...

Hello Janet bit back a scream as a curious voice sounded in her head. It was... odd. Neither male nor female. Not human, but with aspects of human and animal mixed in. Who are you?

No! Janet begged, trying to recoil, but her body wouldn't move.

No need to fear. The voice replied. It sounded... gentle? Odd that. I know we are frightening. But you have no need to fear. We will not harm you. You did not intend to come here?

No. Janet said weakly. Something touched her and she was babbling, aghast at her loss of control. I don't know what is happening. I am... elsewhere. But... here too. Is this the past? The present? The future? I don't know... I...

Oh... The voice was soft and sad now. We see. The voice was suddenly worried. Oh dear... this... complicates things. Easy, girl. We will not harm you. We cannot. You are not really here. We may be able to help you. Nikis. Talk to Nikis. He is coming.

What? Janet begged as the touch on her mind was suddenly soothing. What do you mean?

You need to wake up, Janet. The touch was so soft, so gentle. She had the feeling it didn't have to be. But it chose to be. This is your present and you need to wake up. Now.

Without sense of transition, Janet was lying on something soft, her throat raw as if from screaming. She stared around wildly. She was back in the room and Serene sat in a chair by the bed, the Tenno's face worried.

"Oh god... it happened again..." Janet sobbed. Serene was out of the chair in an instant, holding Janet as she cried. "Why? Why is this happening to me?"

"I don't know." Serene said softly, rubbing Janet's head soothingly. "Easy...Easy, Janet... it's okay. You are okay."

"Am I?" Janet demanded. "What the hell is going on, Serene?"

"Another vision?" Serene asked carefully. Janet nodded savagely. "Of what?"

"It didn't make any sense!" Janet snapped. "Infested don't talk to people. They certainly are not kind to people! I... I don't... I am going crazy."

"No, you ain't." Janet went totally still as the door slid open and Nikis strode in. He was &!$$ed. But... not with her. "What you saw is real, Janet. Just... only known to a few."

"You mean to tell me there are sentient Infested out there?" Janet demanded sarcastically. She went still again as he nodded. "I... No... That is not possible!"

"Well, it happened." Nikis said with a shrug "Possible or not, they is real and you just talked to 'em." Serene stared from Nikis to Janet and back. She gave Janet a squeeze and held the human gently as Janet cried. "Easy girl. None of this is your fault." The ancient gunfighter said quietly.

"What the hell is going on, Nikis?" Janet nearly screamed. "This isn't right! I..." She wilted in Serene's grip. "This isn't right..."

"What else have you 'seen', Janet?" Nikis put an odd inflection on the word 'seen'. "It is important." He prodded when she hissed.

"How did they know you?" Janet demanded. "How do a group of Infested know you by name?"

"Janet..." Nikis said slowly. "Ah hell... I am screwing this up." He knelt slowly, placing himself consciously below her. "We need privacy." He said softly as the door opened behind him again.

"Mom said you may need an official witness." Michelle looked scared and who could blame her. She knelt near a wall, as far from Nikis as she could for all the good it would do her. "If she is what we think."

"Yeah." Nikis said softly. "I think so too."

"What?" Janet tried not to shout as Serene held her in a gentle grip that was at the same time, totally unbreakable. "What the hell is going on?" Now she was shouting.

"Janet." Nikis' voice was calm and matter of fact. "I know you are scared. Of me. Of whatever you saw. Of everything that is happening. There is an explanation." Janet went still again and Nikis sighed. "Not a rational one, but I think rational took a long jump out an airlock."

"I am not in love with you." Janet wanted to pull those words back in as soon as she said them, but Nikis just nodded.

"I know." Nikis agreed. "You can barely stand me. Can barely tolerate my presence. You are tough. That is what drew me. Janet... it ain't your fault." He said with a shrug. Then he said something she had never heard him say. "Please?" Janet reeled at that. Nikis was never polite! Never! From Serene's and Michelle's stunned looks, this was a new experience to them too. "What did you see?"

"I... I saw Serene's daughter Sierra die. She corroborated what I saw." Janet said in a monotone. Serene nodded. "I saw my own family. I can't be sure... but I bet that happened as I saw. They are moving on. I can't go back." She swallowed hard.

"And?" Nikis prompted her, very gently.

"And then I saw you kill every living thing in this system." Nikis actually jerked back from Janet's soft, scared words. "To avenge me."

"S#&$." Nikis said with heartfelt sadness. "Ah Janet..." He shook his head. "Damn it... I had hoped I was wrong..."

"Nikis... Please don't..." Janet begged.

"Janet..." Nikis said sadly. "I don't... There are parts of me that never see the light of day. Dark, terrible parts. I keep 'em walled off for a reason. I can't control 'em."

"No..." Janet pleaded, hugging Serene tight. Serene let her cling. "I don't want to be responsible for the death of everything!" She begged.

"You ain't." Nikis said quietly. "If anyone is, I am. I am the elder here, Janet. I have had more relationships than you have taken breaths." This last was in a sour tone much more like himself. "My feelings for you are all messed up and I can't go to a shrink." Janet looked the question at him and he snorted without mirth. "Amelia or Iriana would take one look at what dwells inside my head and go stark raving mad." No boast that, simple fact. "They are both good at what they do and they wouldn't have a chance."

"I am sorry..." Janet said weakly.

"You got nothing to be sorry for, Janet." Nikis said with a sigh. "You didn't ask to be part of this mess."

"You know what is going on." Janet said slowly. Nikis nodded. "Will you tell me?"

"In a moment." Nikis' voice turned savage. "I need to be sure we are alone." Janet gave an 'Eep' as dark energy played form his hands to waft across the room. Everything stopped as a scream sounded from one corner of the room. Michelle and Serene were on their feet in combat stances as... a blurry form appeared out of nowhere. The humanoid form was transparent, but easy to see. It was outlined by Nikis' dark energy. "Figured." Nikis said sourly. "You morons just cannot stop meddling, can you?"

"This is... not what you think... Tenno Nikis..." The voice was familiar to Janet. The form solidified into a young human woman in archaic looking clothing. "It isn't."

"Give me one good reason I shouldn't send you back to your master in pieces." Nikis said with a grunt as he rose, his hands limed with orange fire.

"Janet is my friend." The strange human replied quickly, fear coloring her features. "Or...she will be..."

"I warned you and your master the last time that if I caught you meddling again, I would hurt you." Nikis said quietly. His hands did not move. "You are not the one I want to flay. Your master is and that is why he sent you."

"I came on my own!" The woman snapped, than gave a scream as the energy around her pulsed. "No! I... No, please!" She begged.

"Nikis?" Janet asked softly. "Who is this?"

"She calls herself Mira." Nikis said sternly. "She is not human, no matter what form she may wear. Dunno what she is, except a liar." Michelle and Serene stayed where they were. Wise of them.

"I never lied to you!" Mira screamed in agony as Nikis raised a hand. "Nikis, I never lied to you..."

"Maybe not." Nikis said mildly. "But if not, then you bent the truth so far out of whack you might as well have been lying to me." He shook his head. "Not lying while not telling the truth takes practice, wouldn't you say, Janet?"

"Yeah it does." Janet said softly. "Why did you say I 'helped' you?" Her tone was cold as she sat up straight. "I don't know you."

"Not yet." Mira said weakly, curling up as Nikis hurt her again. "Nikis, please!" She groaned in agony.

"Come off it, Rasputin!" Nikis snapped. "Show yourself and I will stop hurting her!"

"He isn't here, Nikis!" Mira gasped as she collapsed to her hands and knees. "He... isn't here. He doesn't know I came. He will be...annoyed with me. But... I had to help her!"

"Why?" Nikis demanded.

"Because she is waking, Nikis." Mira said weakly. Nikis went still and she gasped in relief as the power clenched around her faded. "I didn't send her. She went on her own. I guided her, after. Then she... took off. Went her own way. I lost her. I didn't know where she went. Just that she started screaming and when she came back..." She bowed her head and laid it on the floor. "Nikis... I don't want to die. If you kill everything in the system, I will. Self interest on top of wanting to help her? Good enough?"

"Get lost. And tell your boss I am going to find him." Nikis clenched  a fist and Mira shrieked. Then she vanished.

"Nikis..." Janet said weakly. "What is going on?" Nikis looked at Serene and Michelle and then nodded to Janet.

"You deserve an explanation, Janet." He sighed deeply. "And it is going to be a bit long winded."

"I can manage." Janet said, her voice tiny. "What is happening to me? What am I turning into?" She begged.

"You are not changing, Janet." Nikis said quietly. "You are human and you will remain such." He slumped a bit. "I think."

"You...? Think...?" Janet swallowed hard. Serene sat on the bed beside her, offering comfort that Janet gladly accepted. "You don't know?" She pleaded as Serene held her gently.

"No, I don't." Nikis knelt again, but that didn't lessen the aura of fear around him. "I am neither omniscient nor omnipotent. I am a Tenno, not a god, Janet. I know a lot, but mostly... I know what I don't know. Which is a lot." His tone was slightly amused, but Janet was having none of it.

"Then what the hell is going on?" Janet demanded, ire rising. "Why do I keep having these... episodes?"

"They are not episodes, Janet." Nikis said mildly, not at all put out by her rise in temper. "They are visions." Janet went still and Nikis nodded. "Since the dawn of human history, people have claimed to have visions. Of the past, of the present, of the future. Most of those were charlatans trying to fool people. But not all." Janet's eyes went huge at that.

"Visions...?" Janet's voice was -if anything- tinier. "I..."

"You saw the past. Serene losing Sierra." Nikis nodded to Serene whose face was set. "Accurate?"

"Yes." Serene said quietly. "As far as I could tell, totally accurate."

"I see. Then... You saw the present." Nikis continued. "The reason the those Infested know me by name? I have dealt with 'em on occasion. I don't trust blindly, but they have proven to be trustworthy allies." Janet was shaking her head, stunned and the Nekros continued. "They contacted me as soon as you left. They were very worried about you. You were...stressed."

"Can you blame me?" Janet asked softly.

"Not at all." Nikis actually sounded kind. Another first in Janet's experience. "But that means that the other present time vision you had is also likely accurate. Your husband and kids."

"How do you know...?" Janet started and then shut her mouth with a click. She shook her head. "Never mind. I don't want to know."

"Kalina is really worried about you, Janet." Nikis said sadly. "She was always a good person. Dying ain't changed who and what she was. Is."

"So... the other one..." Janet slumped a bit. "I..."

"Janet." Nikis' tone turned sharp. "Listen to me. The future is not set. You saw a possible future. A very bad one. And we are warned now. That future will not happen, Janet."

"You don't know that!" Janet cried as she tried to burrow into Serene's arms. Serene held her. The female Tenno was just as stunned by all of this as Janet was. Michelle... looked worried.

"Janet." Nikis' voice was stern now. "Look at me." Janet looked at him and he nodded. "It. Will. Not. Happen."

"How can you be so sure?" Janet asked, confused. "You just said... it is not set..."

"Because I am going to say this..." Nikis said quietly. "I swear to you, Janet. I will not do what you saw. I will not avenge you by killing all life in this solar system." Janet stared as his hand dipped to his back and came up with an oddly shaped dagger. He slashed once over his palm, then squeezed the bade until a dark fluid seeped across it. He nodded to her. "By Blood and by Steel, I swear it to you, Janet. I will not do what you saw." Janet went still as both Serene and Michelle gasped as one.

"What does that mean?" Janet asked, calming a little.

"It means he will never break his word to you." Serene said softly, awed. "Nikis..."

"I can't guarantee I won't go off the deep end some other way." Nikis said sourly as he sheathed the dagger. "But I will not avenge you that way, Janet. Okay?"

"Okay." Janet calmed a bit. She felt the assurance that Nikis radiated now. Somehow she knew he would die before he broke that oath. "Thank you, Nikis."

"You have gone through hell, Janet." Nikis said softly. "And it is only going to get worse."

"What do you mean?" Janet demanded, fear starting to rise again.

"You are an Oracle."

Edited by Kalenath

Now the actions of the tenno will be guided by oracles and not reason. Damn, Humanity advanced indeed...

Let's remind ourselves:

Even if the visions are true, oracles are people and people lie...

This reminded me of Homer's Cassandra, which means oracles can be tricked too...

I see a very steep downhill. Go to your shelters!

Edited by renleech

Sorry,but i'm not optimistic.

If you REALLY think the Tenno are going to take some HUMAN'S orders, prophetess or no...

You don't know anything about Nikis, do you? He is on his ABSOLUTE best behavior at the moment because Janet is so fragile right now.

And... he has a bit of experience in such things.

As for the rest?

Wait for it...

Edited by Kalenath

Oracle

"Nikis..." Serene's voice held warning now and Nikis nodded slowly as Janet stared at him. Michelle hadn't moved at all, Janet noticed.

"That doesn't make sense." Janet sounded dazed. Who could blame her? "An oracle was a priest or priestess acting as a medium through whom advice or prophecy was sought from the gods in classical antiquity. I am not a medium... I... I am not..."

"No, you are not." Nikis agreed calmly. "The visions are not coming from some bearded half clothed guy sitting on a throne atop a mountain somewhere." Janet couldn't help herself. She had to giggle at that image which was probably Nikis' intent. "They are also not coming from the ether or whatever else fanatics have come up with to explain their delusions." Janet stared at him and Nikis shrugged. "I am not debating the existence of deities. We haven't got a couple of years to do that. All I am saying is that you are not channeling one. The term 'Oracle' was used during the Orokin Empire for people who experienced things like you have."

"Oh, good. I don't need a deity in my head." Janet said with a sigh. "So... what is happening?" She asked carefully.

"The visions are coming from you, Janet." Nikis said quietly. "It was called a lot of things. Precognition, postcognition, clairaudience, clairvoyance, ESP... A lot of things..."

"Are you saying I am psychic?" Janet demanded. "I mean... I have felt minds touch my own. The Reverend Mother, the Lotus... But I have never..." She paused. "The Lotus... Wait! Why haven't I heard from her?" Michelle jerked and Nikis nodded for her to speak.

"Because as soon as she realized what was happening, she stepped back, Janet." Michelle said quietly. "This has happened before. If not recently." Nikis gave the Princess a shallow nod. "The Lotus deals in probabilities. This kind of thing...defies most of those. It is outside her experience and control. She is worried. As are we all. The last time this happened, the young man in question took his own life."

"He was hounded." Nikis snarled. "Stupid industrialists. Always looking for an edge. Always the bottom line, no matter the cost to a young man's soul." Janet gasped and Nikis relaxed. "Yeah, Janet. You can imagine what the Corpus would do with such power. What the Reverend Mother would do."

"The Reverend Mother?" Janet asked nobody. "She would be scared s***less of this." But then she grimaced. "The Board though... Oh dear..." She shook her head. "The Reverend Mother would use it. She wouldn't have a choice." She went still as she stared at Michelle. "That is why you and your mother have been so nice to me..." She tried to keep hurt from her tone and mostly succeeded.

"I don't blame you for thinking that, Janet. But no." Michelle said calmly. "Ask Nikis."

She nodded to the Nekros. Janet looked at him and Nikis sighed.

"Some of us remember." Nikis said softly. "That young man, his name was Franklin. His family were drawn into a cult. The cult tried to use his ability to further their lunacy. He didn't know what was happening. Until one of the nutballs came at him with a hypo filled with the Technocyte Virus, he didn't have a clue his life was in danger." Janet gasped, and Nikis snorted without humor. "They thought they could make him 'ascend' or some such. The Tenno did not take kindly to thefts of samples of the Technocyte Virus. Just before the fanatics could inject him, Tenno arrived. They did what Tenno do."

"They killed all but the boy." Janet's soft words were not a question. "And the boy?"

"They took him in for a time." Nikis said sadly. "But he wasn't Tenno. He didn't want to be Tenno. No one was going to force him. His visions were documented. We gave him the stability he needed while he adjusted to his visions. As we will you. If you wish."

"You were there." Again, Janet's words were not a question.

"I was." Nikis agreed. "I wasn't part of the team that went in and took out the fanatics, but I was there when they brought Franklin back to the Citadel for medical checks. The boy was..." Nikis shook his head. "He was calm. He knew we wouldn't hurt him. That we would help as we could. But then... He wanted to leave. Find his own way. What right did we have to keep him, even as powerful as his visions were? If we had...maybe he wouldn't have killed himself."

"Or he might have gone crazy in captivity." Michelle said sternly. Nikis looked at her and Michelle shook her head. "Benevolent captivity is still captivity, Nikis."

"I know." Nikis agreed. "Which is why we let him go. Then he ran into Rasputin. If I ever find that dog..."

"You said that name before." Janet said before Nikis could start to rant. "Who is he?"

"Rasputin wasn't his name originally." Nikis said after a moment. "He took the name from a notorious Russian. An advisor to the Tsars, the rulers of Russia before the Revolution of 1917. He was an Orokin scientist dedicated to proving that psychic powers existed and determining how they worked. His methods were... brutal." Janet stared. Nikis sounded odd. Not angry. Something far, far beyond that. "The boy was never the same after Rasputin got his claws into him... I tried to help. And the boy ignored me." Nikis shook himself. "That is neither here nor there. You are going to have more visions, Janet."

"Is there any way to stop them?" Janet asked fearfully. Serene gave her a squeeze and Janet relaxed a little.

"Not without lobotomizing you." Nikis said before anyone else could. "And that really wouldn't work either, from what little I remember. You just wouldn't remember why you were so scared. You wouldn't be able to vocalize your fears. You would go mad."

"How many times have you seen this happen, Nikis?" Janet asked, horrified.

"Four. Three destroyed by Rasputin's 'research' and the other took his own life." Nikis said softly. An indrawn breath circled the room. The Nekros let out a slow, deep breath."We can help, Janet. If you want us to. If you let us. Being an Oracle is no fun at all. But we can help." His hand came up, empty and he held it out to her. "We will not ask you for your aid. Just being what you are will be hard enough for you without anyone demanding you lead them as a Messiah or something.  We can help." He repeated. "Please let us."

"I am scared." Janet said softly, staring at Nikis' outstretched hand.

"No one blames you." Nikis replied calmly. "No one at all. I can't say it will be okay, because I am not an Oracle. But what we can do, we will." This also was an oath.

"Michelle?" Janet asked, not taking her eyes from Nikis' hand. "I... I don't know... You have been kind. You, Serene, your mother..."

"The frightening thing, Janet..." Michelle said heavily. "Is that we could use you. And if we could? We likely would. Not for frivolous things..." She said as Janet wilted a bit. "But that makes it all the more dangerous. Any power is tempting, Janet. Any power has the potential for misuse. We would use you and both I and my mother think it would be wrong. We would wind up relying on you and we cannot do that."

"Thank you for your honesty." Janet said softly into the silence that fell. "Serene?" She begged.

"Tenno follow the Lotus, Janet." Serene said slowly. "None of us would follow a human. No matter how skilled or charismatic. Sorry." She said with a sad look.

"I am not." Janet said with a sigh. "I would mess things up. I know I would. It was bad enough just being an operative. I am no leader. No guide."

"That is because you are smart, Janet." Nikis said, still not moving. "Some humans need the reassurance of a herd. Or of something greater than themselves to make them feel safe." Janet nodded soberly. "Some more than others." Nikis said dryly and Janet chuckled sourly.

"Don't need to tell me that." Janet sat up, nodded to Serene and Michelle and slid her legs off the bed. "So... what do we do?" She asked Nikis as she reached for his hand.

"We travel to somewhere where you can relax for a bit. Rest. You need it." Nikis said as Janet took his hand in a trembling grip. "You won't be able to track us, Michelle. Don't try. I will protect her." He warned. Janet shivered from the malevolence in the ancient Tenno's words..

"Nikis..." Serene begged as she let go of Janet's other hand. "Please be gentle."

"Serene, you know what I am." Nikis said softly. "But I have never raised my hand to a human who did not attack me first or violate the Code. I ain't gonna start with Janet. Come on." He started for the door and Janet followed. The door hissed open and both guards stiffened on seeing the Nekros with Janet, but froze in place as Nikis' eye swept over them.

"She is going with Nikis." Michelle said quietly from behind them. "Inform the others. No one is to hinder them. My authority."

"As you will, Princess." The Mag Prime said with a nod. Both Prime warframes saluted Nikis who ignored them.

Janet was stumbling after just a little ways. She hadn't really rested after her latest vision and her exhaustion was catching up with her. Nikis wasn't moving nearly as fast as he could, but she was having difficulty keeping up. She kept on. One foot in front of the other. She would not quit.

"How proud are you?" Nikis asked her quietly as he slowed just a little.

"Too tired to be proud right now." Janet said softly. She gave a squeak as he swept her off her feet and cradled her in his arms. "Nikis..." She groaned. "People will talk."

"Let them. You are exhausted." Nikis said quietly. "I am not."

Janet shook her head but did not try to argue further. She knew it wouldn't work. She was... so tired. Her eyes were drooping as Nikis strode through the corridors of the Orokin facility as if he owned the place. Maybe he did for all she knew. Then he stopped. She forced her eyes open and stared as a tech in a gold uniform hurriedly backed quickly away from a console as Nikis stepped up to it. The human raised empty hands. This was... a portal room. She had used the ancient Orokin portal networks occasionally on jobs for the Lotus. Rarely. And she had not enjoyed the experience.

"You try to trace this and I will not be happy." Nikis said with a growl to the tech who looked as if he wanted to be anywhere but where he was. "And if anyone tries to follow me, I will find out about it and be back to talk to you. Clear?" The tech gulped, nodded and turned to face the wall. "Smart kid." Nikis said with a grunt as he shifted Janet so he was holding her with one hand. He did something to the controls that she couldn't see.

"Where are we going, Nikis?" Janet asked. She couldn't quite keep her words from slurring.

"Somewhere safe." Nikis said with a sigh. "A place you can rest for a while. After you have recovered, we can talk about your future. But for now, you need rest."

"I don't like these portals." Janet tried to keep from whining, but it was hard. Almost as hard as keeping her eyes open.

"I don't know anyone who does." Nikis said with a snort as he carried Janet onto the platform. "Hang on to your lunch, girl. We are going for a ride." The immobilization field clicked on and Janet felt the familiar energy start to build. But... It felt... different. She felt...

Janet screamed as the golden energy enveloped her. It was burning her. Searing her nerves! Then it faded, but...she wasn't alone! A sense of accomplishment came from... somewhere. It wasn't hers! The feeling wasn't hers!

Leave her alone, Rasputin! Nikis' voice was not audible, but it cut through Janet's mind like a sword. I will find you this time you sorry son of a $#*(@!

You cannot find me. The voice was oily and despite her training, despite her skill and courage, Janet was shaken to her core by the sheer...something it projected. It wasn't evil. She knew that feeling, that sound. It wasn't apathy. No... It was cold disinterest in Nikis' threats. No... The voice was looking at her. So... My dear. You have woken at last. You will come to me and we will do marvelous things together.

Never. Janet snapped with all the strength at her disposal. Which wasn't much. I will never serve you!

Serve me? Either this being was the best actor Janet had ever encountered or he was honestly surprised by her statement. Oh my dear... Don't let that fool Tenno poison your mind. No. I do not ask for your service. I ask for your help.

Janet! Don't listen to him! Nikis snapped. He lies! It is what he does!

Janet felt the portal activate. Somehow, the other was following them through the transfer. Nikis... he is tracking us!

Let him! Nikis actually snarled. If he wants to die, he can come right after us. I would love to put some rounds through him.

Always so limited, Nikis... The other sounded sad now. I have nothing more to say to you. I simply wanted to say hello to Janet. We will meet again, my dear.

I... won't help you... Janet forced her mind into stillness as she had been taught by Tenno Intelligence and Rasputin actually gasped.

Don't do anything rash, Janet. We need you. The other pleaded. The Solar System needs you. We can end this conflict. Bring peace back to the system. Rebuild it better than it was.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! Janet screamed and then she was falling. Her head hurt. Nikis caught her as she lost control of her stomach and spewed nastiness onto the floor at his feet. "Nikis..." Janet begged.

"It's okay, Janet." Nikis said quickly. "Well done. Not many I know of can toss that scum out like you did. But it hurt you. Elenia!" He cried out as a female voice sounded.

"We have it all set up!" A warm hand touched Janet's brow and then was snatched away. "Nikis, she is feverish! What happened?"

"Rasputin." Nikis made the name an epithet. "He tried to convert her while we transited. Damn it! I need to find and kill that dog."

"How many times have you killed him, Nikis?" The one called Elenia asked sourly. "Get her in. We can take it from there." The hand was back on Janet's forehead as she was laid...in something that yielded under her. "Janet? Janet, can you hear me?"

"Hurts..." Janet managed to gasp out past her pain. "He... I... It..."

"Easy." The soft voice was crooning at her now. "Just relax. We have you. Nothing will happen to you now, dear. Just  relax. Let go..." And indeed... Janet felt something envelop her. Something warm and accepting. She was crying softly as the warmth soothed her pain and lulled her to sleep gently.

"Damn him." Nikis said softly as Janet fell asleep. It was probably a good thing she wasn't awake to see the pod she was in slowly form over top of her and the blue viscous healing fluid start to fill it. The Ancient Healer who served this odd group as it's medical professional gave a head bob and left the room. The Mag who was a Caretaker of the Unclean looked at him and Nikis sighed. "I am sorry, Elenia. I will... keep it down."

"I wish we could help you, Nikis." Elenia said sadly.

"You have." The Nekros sounded grateful. "But there are limits to everything. We had to limit my access to the mass mind. I will not make the mass mind go nuts just to keep my own darkness at bay for a while. You, Jasmina and the others helped a lot." He shrugged. "I am just... too far gone."

"Not yet." Elena reached out and hugged the Nekros warframe tight. "We will find a way to help you, Nikis."

"Don't do that." Nikis protested, but did not struggle. He liked Elenia. "People will think I went soft."

I highly doubt that. A silent male voice sounded in Nikis' head. From Elenia's chuckle, she heard him to. Besides, soft for you and soft for anything less dense than neutronium are two completely different things.

"Be glad you don't have a physical body anymore, Dust." Nikis said sourly as he patted Elenia's head awkwardly. "I would hurt you." A rude noise answered him and the mental trace that was all that was left of his son vanished. "You guys... I swear..." He shook himself and Elenia let go of him. "Jasmina around?"

"I was finalizing things." The Ember Prime who entered the room looked odd. But then again, she was odd. "She can't stay here too long, Nikis. If she does, she will be subsumed despite our care."

"I know." Nikis said sadly. "Rasputin hurt her." At that name, Jasmina hissed and Nikis nodded. "I guess it's time to kill him again."

"Nikis, it doesn't work." Elenia said softly. 'How many times have you killed him? He keeps coming back."

"And every time he does, I will kill him again until I find his core processes and wipe them. Erase his evil." Nikis said sourly. "Pity he isn't in the main databanks. Most of the others would hold him down for me to erase."

"Nikis..." Jasmina sounded worried now and Nikis sighed.

"I won't do what Janet saw." Nikis promised. "But it is high time that scum got what was coming to him."

"Taking energy form is not supposed to be a way to commit crimes in the real world..."

Edited by Kalenath