Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Two-Handed Axes - A Little Bit Of Love?

88th_Phantom

Hey there, Tenno.

This has been bothering me for a short while when looking through the weapon stances and it can be helped to notice that the Axe category of weapons is in a bit of a pickle.

By a pickle, I mean that there are more Greatswords in the Axe stance list than actual two-handed axes.

Now it'd be unfair just to say the Greatswords outnumber the two-handed axes 2:1 because there are only two Greatswords (Gram & Galatine) and only one two-handed axe (Scindo), but for a category of weapon that has existed in this game for so long, I can't help but feel like it's been forgotten about.

As far as opportunities go, I feel a few have been missed and this is a category of weapons that could easily be filled by something as polarising as another faction's style of two-handed axe/Greataxe; currently this category only holds Tenno-based weapons with the most recent closest relation being the Ether Reaper, of which - for its style and shape - was more befitting of the scythe stances (no grudge held on that one).

Think of the concept behind the Serro, it's a energy-based saw built for scrapping ships or the Spectra - originally a cutting tool designed for deep space construction - it's not uncommon for factions to have deadly apparatus  turned into weapons. What's stopping the Grineer having an axe styled tool for cutting up their ships or even a tool that was designed for trying to cut through the trees back on Earth before they found that effort was fruitless and later turned it into a makeshift weapon?

I wouldn't ask for anything groundbreaking from this category, just some variety. It'd be nice watching Rhinos run past with another type of Axe based weapon that wasn't the Galatine (or on very rare occasion, the Gram).

What do you guys think, am I the only one on board with this (or would we prefer another longsword)?

Leave any feedback you'd like.

Thanks for your time.

Scindo has 2 skins, one of them being a Grineer axe. It works, I guess. The Fragor also has a Grineer skin, and it's Lech Kril's hammer IIRC. Anyways, the category of heavy weapons in general could use some more weapons and much more power.

Need Scindo Prime with 30-40% crit so you can put berserker on huehuehue.

About slow powerful hit, it is the stance (cleaving whirlwind) that make it powerful.  Rending Crane doesn't have much damage modifier.

Edited by Hueminator

Scindo has 2 skins, one of them being a Grineer axe. It works, I guess. The Fragor also has a Grineer skin, and it's Lech Kril's hammer IIRC. Anyways, the category of heavy weapons in general could use some more weapons and much more power.

Very true, it's quite bad that i actually forgot about the Scindo and Fragor skins.

I honestly don't think it would do any harm to separate them now. I know they said before in the past they wouldn't, but a lot has changed with weapon variety and the melee system and the damage system since that comment.

Granted, it wouldn't be anything new, but it'd be something - 'mastery fodder' at the very least.

I feel like they should change the Gram and Galatine too, as it is now the only difference between the two of them is crit chance and status chance, with Galatine being slightly better. Gram should get a boost in damage or attack speed, either up to 50 damage or 1.1 attack speed, to give it some kind of edge over Galatine. They both could use a boost in crit chance too, it's just a joke giving them that crit multplier with that low crit chance.

As for Scindo, it seems alright, especially with the Manticore skin boosting damage, combined with the damage boost in Cleaving Whirlwind, which puts it at a place where it can compete with Dakra Prime and Crimson Dervish for damage.

Honestly, Cleaving Whirlwind is a huge saving grace for all the heavy weapons. Haven't used Rending Crane in a while, though.

As for the Axe category in general, they could take the Dagger Axe, remove that as a skin, and make it its own weapon, perhaps as the "fast" axe. Or a Grineer woodcutting axe would be a good idea, too, honestly, it's not that hard to come up with an axe, you just need A. long handle, and B. big, heavy blade at top.