Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Puncture Mods Are Still Not Worth It

Vaskadar

Well tbh even after ~150 hours spend in Warframe, not a single puncture mod was given to me. Unlucky@RNG i guess. >.>

you haven't missed anything bro

i leveled my puncture on rifles to the max (something about 0,6 meters) and it's still VERY situational, nothing really that important.

For all of you thinking about equipping puncture to combat shield lancers, just buy the dang boltor. It autostaggers, making it ridiculously easy to kill shield lancers.

That's not the reason to use puncture in any way, it's because puncture actually punctures enemies at the highest ranks. Right now I can shoot through thin doors and most standard enemies, the problem is that the mod costs 15 energy and is still anemic because it cannot shoot through the thicker Grineer doors and has a hard time shooting through corners that it easily would be able to if it was a deeper puncture like it used to be.

Rifle maxes at 0.6m and pistol/shotgun are 0.35m still... I haven't been willing to waste the money on pistol/shotgun to see if they can shoot through doors/enemies, but they should be able to. The majority of us who had used puncture pre-u7 just want to see it go back to being 1-4m depending on the weapon type, because it would actually make sense regarding cost at that point.

I use mine in my Braton Vandal because I'm stubborn, much like how I'm using the Braton Vandal instead of the Braton which is better. I still like the fact that it will puncture enemies and thinner doors, so I'm holding onto it rather than picking up burst damage from the crit mods.

Loadout: r10 serration, r5 cryo rounds, r5 hellfire, r5 piercing hit, r5 stormbringer, r5 split chamber, r5 metal auger and r3 magazine warp

Edited by plznohurtme

I wouldnt mind Puncture all that much, if only the energy cost wasnt so astronomical high

lower that by half and I might just start using it to make it easier to kill shield grineer and get the occasional shot that goes through completely

Hell, we could even do it D&D Style, Using a variant of Cleave. If the projectile does enough damage to kill the first person, It penetrates through. Then you could give it some kind of damage reduction to make up for the lost momentum. So it would go like this.

Assuming all enemies had 100 life (so i dont have to do too much math...cuz no)

1. Shoot first person, Do 100 damage.

2. Projecticle pierces target, taking a 25% damage loss

3. Projectile hits second person, doing 75 damage, Stops because the second person didnt die.

So that if you have a weapon that does, say, 5000 damage, it could penetrate A LOT of people before stopping, but on high level missions, it wouldnt go nearly as far. It just seems to make sense that way. As for Cover, just use a flat rate of 0.5m. Realistically, a foot and a half of material is as much as you could ask anything to go thrugh, especially if its made out of some weird "Space Alloy" or whatever.

I like this. Not only would something like that solve the problem of making puncture useful, it makes more sense than high damage weapons like Lex and Vulkar would get more out of it.

I like this. Not only would something like that solve the problem of making puncture useful, it makes more sense than high damage weapons like Lex and Vulkar would get more out of it.

The only problem would be hitbox and how tight they are in-game.

I put a 0.3 puncture mod on my paris to hit the shield grineer and hey presto it doesn't do anything, the bolt still stops on the shield. Works sort of with other weapons and the shield grineer, but definitely not well enough to justify the cost.

I was thinking that the very concept of the puncture module was to make it pass through non map resources (people) and the value 0.1-1 would represent the amount of damage inflicted after each penetration with a -0.1 for each . So a 1.0 puncture mod would be able to pass through 9 targets but at a 10% reduction in damage per target. Or the module says it's max penetrated targets in the description e.g. 1.0 penetration capabilitiy of 5 targets

Bolt weapons don't get puncture. Balancing feature. No matter how much puncture you have, no bolt will ever do it.

Also, I agree, we need more puncture.

Edited by theammostore

Puncture based on Damage?

mhhh

this...could work pretty nice...

shotguns would have a lower puncture while sniper rifles would have a higher, and rifles would be somewhere between. for 15 points...yes, why not?

i have read somewhere that our actual punture is jsut enough to pierce the Grineer-Shield.

Sooo...i like your idea, i would click the "up" button multiple times if i could.

hope DE will read and think about this thread.

also i hope that the laser weapons would get the ability to puncture...atleast Lanka.

Edited by LazerusKI

There have been some good suggestions here. 

One thing (I didn't read through all 8 pages) I'd like to mention, is that without the over-the-top death animations, Puncture wouldn't be so damn important anyway. I'm sick of seeing infested take 15 seconds to lay down and die...whilst blocking the shots.

Why just dont make puncture like multiple hit mechanic of meele weapon?

- Mod shouldn't have range of puncture att all, it should have number of object it can puncture.

- After each object that projectile did puncture it loose 25% of current damage.