Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Much Difference Would 100Mhz For A Cpu Be?

Kylecrafts

I'm planning building a new PC, and while I was checking out the PC's specifications, I noticed that for £5, I could upgrade the CPU, and gain 100MHz. After doing some research, the internets are telling me it won't make any difference.

http://www.ebuyer.com/467637-intel-core-i5-4670-3-40ghz-socket-1150-6mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80646i54670

to

http://www.ebuyer.com/629960-intel-core-i5-4690-3-50ghz-socket-1150-6mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-bx80646i54690

Any advice guys?

~Kylecrafts

I'd take the 4670K (the k is friggin important for OC), but yea the 100 MHz wont make any difference.

This, even if you don't plan on overclocking now. Soon you will. Something will push you to do it.

Most games currently don't use all 4 cores mind you. 

N00b alert question :D

With multiple cores won't the 100Mhz get multiplied?

They do. 

@OP:

There's basically no reason to get an one year old CPU when there's a newer revision available. So my recommendation would be get the 4690 because it is build upon a newer revision a.k.a "Haswell-Refresh". It is probably better optimized in TDP, and Microcode, the later being the most important if there were some nasty bugs in edge cases of the original "Haswell" iterations.

If it boils down to the 100MHz/Core.... they won't make much of a difference though. That's not even 3% performance gain per core... and only would play in if you'd somehow manage to load each core to 100% 24/7, which I highly doubt. xD

That's as far as the non-K versions go.

If you are into overclocking and stuff then I might recommend getting a 4670K or 4690K anyways... aren't much more expensive either but you'd be able to overclock them by several hundred MHz... probably even to 4000MHz with a proper cooler and motherboard.

With multiple cores won't the 100Mhz get multiplied?

They do. 

Only if the application(s) uses all 4 cores to their full potential... otherwise there are always sitting 2-3 cores around being bored to hell and with them also the additional 100MHz each core would offer. Which is the case most of the time if OP isn't into rendering, video-processing or other CPU heavy applications all the time.

Edited by MeduSalem