Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Isn't There A Lot Of Infested Grineer?

AridTeflon

We have seen a lot of Infested Corpus, such as Infested Crewmen(Runners and Crawlers), Osprey Drones, and revealed in the Devstream, the Infested MOA, but the only Infested Grineer we get to see is the Charger(Infested Lancers).

Why do we only see Lancers getting infested and not Light Grineer or Heavies(Gunners, Napalms, Bombards, Commanders)? 

Edited by AridTeflon

Never noticed until you brought that up. We also are going to get an insane amount of infested ancients later on (not the type of ancients already in-game). I would love to see terrifying versions of Heavy infested units like Bombards or heavy gunners, or fast and frighteningly agile infested scorpion units (Perhaps they could have parkour as well).

That's just a thought, but yeah we should see more infested Grineer hopefully.

Three reasons. 1: The lore reason: infestation is a devestating disease that consumes the flesh. It's likely that only physically powerful specimen survive the process, and there's only 3 grineer: the heavy warrior male, the light warrior male, and the light warrior female. We can suppose that the lighter grineer just become those sticky piles of webs and nodules, having their bodies completely destroyed by the process.

2: Technical reason: The game loads faster the fewer enemy types that exist, so adding lots of variety to the models of any one type makes things load slower.

3: Reality check: It takes a lot of time to design a new enemy, make the model, balance the skills, create an AI for it, and deploy it. They're making new enemies, but there is a significant limitation to how fast that can be done.

I have the true answer. The infestation finds it hard to infect the heavily cloned and damaged genes of the grineer and mutate them into the atrocities they have managed to get from corpus genes. All grineer clones are cloned from the same genes, whenever a grineer soldier is infected you get the same result, a charger. Although, I bet you thought that only the corpus had been toying with the infestation virus, but lately the brightest grineer minds have come up with a thesis to empower its entire race. They have theorised that they could used the superior adaptability the virus has to alter the genes of their race to produce new superior bloodlines and provide them the ability to reproduce once more. Research has been under wraps for now, but a recent report recovered from a rescued red veil agent found on a ceres shipyard has exposed their research plans. The grineer are eerily close to uncovering the secrets locked away in the virus. This does not bode well for our cause. Tenno I fear a great battle is nigh, there is much more to fear other than Vay Hek and his balor formorians...

(Preps tinfoil hat. Also asks that everyone excuse any grammatical errors cause this wasn't proof-read and was written on the spur of the moment.)

Edited by Shreiko

Three reasons. 1: The lore reason: infestation is a devestating disease that consumes the flesh. It's likely that only physically powerful specimen survive the process, and there's only 3 grineer: the heavy warrior male, the light warrior male, and the light warrior female. We can suppose that the lighter grineer just become those sticky piles of webs and nodules, having their bodies completely destroyed by the process.

2: Technical reason: The game loads faster the fewer enemy types that exist, so adding lots of variety to the models of any one type makes things load slower.

3: Reality check: It takes a lot of time to design a new enemy, make the model, balance the skills, create an AI for it, and deploy it. They're making new enemies, but there is a significant limitation to how fast that can be done.

osprey obviously had flesh

OP is right, it always bugged me.

For more than 10 updates, no other unit than normal grineer lancers,(grineer scorpions) or regular corpus crewmen can be infected??

Something is wrong indeed. Butchers?Soldiers?Ballistas?(Heavies too, they could make the infested leave the "weakest-faction" problem.)

Enemies of the tenno submissions will soon be implemented, so I got faith for this.

Enemies really lack variety in general, and this may be solved with already existing things.

I guess since Alad V always does this crazy experiments it mostly infected his own race, when it back-fired.

It never really backfired on him, he did it intentionally.

I still believe if that the regular units can mutate into crawlers, then surely the rest of them are able to mutate

Yes I know that it takes a long time to make an enemy, but the designers have proven multiple times that they CAN do it, seeing as we got the mutalist osprey, infested MOA's, and new infested ancients(That's IF they make it into u15)--all within the time span of about 2 updates once U15 comes out. So if anything, I really think this should be one of their things on the to-do list for the infested, as well as maybe make a new infested unit for the new grineer unit we'll be getting as well (the one that attacks from hidden places).

It's all a thought, and I don't think the artists are limited by anything except what they already have to do (which is quite a lot right now considering we're getting U15 pretty soon), so I wouldn't expect anything in the near future, but it should definitely be something that they look in to.

Edited by SgtFlex

The females all use the same model, heavy gunner and scorpion. I would consider them one unit.

Also, "dust" is mostly made up of dead human skin, so dust on a piece of equipment(like an osprey) could be infected--they clearly have had flesh grow over them.

Also, while regular CORPUS units can mutate in to crawlers, they're reasonably healthy human beings. Grineer, you must recall, are all messed up clones dying of progeria from the moment they're spawned. I would not consider an army of old people in mechanical suits "physically powerful specimen". That's likely why even the grineer that do survive the process can't even stand up.

a little of off topic first, i really hope that DE will make a cutscene with the new j-4  as a message for us (like they do with vay hek) ikr, that probably isnt possible, but one can dream.

To the topic:

Yes, i also most likely wondered why there wasnt more variation depending on the tileset or such to have them spawn other mutated grineer.

Looking at the charger, the Grineer's decaying genes are probably to blame for that twisted abomination.  Even Corpus still remain fairly human compared to the Grineer.  As for heavier Grineer, too many artificial limbs might be to blame here.  While Alad V's infestation can infect inorganic material now, that material probably has to be fairly solid, which Grineer prosthetics are not, they're minimalist.  So for beings like the heavy gunners, all we have left to infect is a torso and a head, which probably isn't nearly enough biomass to make some sort of morbid creature out of.  They just become food for the machine in the end.