Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicate Discussion: The Lore It Needs And The Refinement Of Their Ideas

Mak_Gohae

Given that this is DE... that's likely the full scope of it.

Outside of that what we are going to likely get are orders.

Well I suppose your feedback now makes sense, given that opinion.

A- Your personal experience with this setting doesnt change the fact that the standard rebel faction exists in this setting. DE needs to put in a lot more work that simply saying that they are rebels to have any sort of originality to this concept.

B- It tells something. If this is the base it's not a good base to start from.

Almost nothing is "original" anymore. Especially in science fiction, which is rapidly becoming one of the more "done" genres, originality is harder and harder to find, and also less important. Hell, Warframe is pretty much a combo of stuff like Guyver and Dune. We're not exactly reinventing the wheel here.

It doesn't particularly matter if a faction is original, so much as it matters if that faction is done well. I have no problem with a standard rebel faction existing, so long as it is thematically appropriate and feels like it belongs in Warframe. 

Edited by vaugahn

LORE

New Loki

So apparently there are no humans in the current time line of these events? Thanks for letting us know by the description in a menu.

This stuff should not be learned through menus. What happened to the idea that we were going to do missions for lore? Now that you have money coming in can you hire 3 guys that make 2 minute videos that explain the world we live in? Tennos are suppose to keep the balance... keep the balance for what? We still dont know the world the reside in so what are we balancing?

At least this is the only faction to be totally new. They should give out the feral kubrow skin patter as a reward.

we had always known that grineer enhance themselves so a purist faction isn't that rare, and feral kubrow is farther from "original non corrupted form" than any of our breds, and even ours are fake abominations. (seen from where NEW LOKA stand)

Red Veil

I know ideas develop as time progresses but some stuff needs to have a bit of a guard rail. So the RV are now space jokers? They just want to see the system burn? This just makes me want to have a mission where i can trap all the prisoners i helped escape... i dont want to deal with these people.

This also is another big hit to Tenno presentation. We arent heroes, we arent ninja, we are a bunch of trained animals that are used by everyone. I dont feel like playing a Tenno, we are used by maniacs and people wanting space sushi. This is why i want to play as the Grineer, they have a purpose and a goal and they go. Tenno right now are basically just, "Huh?, what?, bah?, fah?" We all know that story is lower tier when it comes to game development but there has to be a base. In Halo the Spartans were solidly set in their role and even if we were shown as scary to some and villains to other the role was set. In this game we are just floating around going from job to job like people with bad luck in a bad economy, we take what we can.

Red Veil is Closer to the Spanish Inquisition(worse than any other in case you wonder why i choose Spanishs), they are extremist but not anarchist  again you confuse objectives with means, and we are not their lapdogs we help them when our objectives coincide and (from now on at least) will kill them if they collide.

The Perrin Sequence

The Corpus sell to whoever has the money, right? So how about some super rich group, you create a new reason why they are rich, they hold the monopoly on certain source, and they secretly ended up purchasing a huge amount of Corpus weapon and now they want to carve his own kingdom with the army that they built? What's in it for the Tenno? Clear the Corpus and Grineer from their lands and they will be your buddies.

more like slightly less ruthless more crafty corpus who disagree with the main branch, you can rule a market crushing your enemies but you can also make them your clients and get more profit, that is the difference i see

Cephalon Suda

So a Tenno ship faction? I thought you guys were going to expand the world with this. BTW, can i kill my ship? Cause i dont know if he is a spy and i want to make sure. But, seriously, another faction that is just a remix of something we already have seen. When Rebecca said about a Lotus syndicate she had a point. We have version 2 for a lot stuff in-game so why not another Lotus.

seems more like a collective AI to play the emotionless neutral faction, the machine faction is pretty common in the setting in one of Asimov tales all the humanity ended fusing with one (which then became the next god and created another universe but that is beside the point).

Steel Meridian

Give them some flavour. How about a whole faction of Grineer rebels? Or a combination of Grineer and Corpus working together? Just give them some spice. Corpus rebels that captured some Grineer cloning facility and are creating some good clones with the help of some Rebel Grineer clones. And when i mean good clones i mean clean healthy clone. A story could be that we are trying to save them from the Grineer that is actively trying to destroy and steal the tech.

they are a Grineer rebels but you may need to redefine what is a faction for you, i think these either are the ones that try to protect the colonies from the grineer court power struggles or the ones that decide to ignore the corpus and wage war with a far more aggressive enemy which threatens us all (its the infestation if you didn't notice)

and lastly and perhaps most misguided

Arbiters of Hexis

A faction of Tennos that want to be more Tenno than Tennos? I'll count this as a second original idea, New Loki being the first. They do have a distinct goal which is what makes this idea ok.

Seem to me like Tenno who like you felt like tools in meaningless power struggles and decided to search for a new thruth to follow.

now that leads them to 3 possible outcomes

a) they are simply ascetics which refine and perfect the Tenno "way" fusing philosophy with tech as most martial arts where born, in which case they would be mostly neutrals forced to defend themselves or waging strategic war to reach peace

b) they refuse the lotus control and formed their own independent half opposing force   ( apparently with religious  base or perhaps based on some sort of democracy )

or 

c) they accept phorid words and want to "join" the greater being (in greater being a huge amorphous blob of meat) trying to become a higher plane of existance

edit : ill follwo this thread if any of you want to discuss those statements

Edited by Edgedemon

LORE

New Loki

The Grineer and Corpus are definitely human. They're not pure though. No one has been born on Earth for centuries.

The lore is we are doing missions to stabilize the solar system. The Lotus gives us a mediocre reason for each mission at the beginning of each one, every time. 

Red Veil

The Red Veil has always been a resistance group. They exact way they fight the Grineer and Corpus hasn't been clear until now, but with the connections to the Wraith variations, people could already infer the Red Veil was a murder squad. Their solution to helping the solar system is not to burn it.(Where did you get that from?)They wish to kill off all the corruption in it i.e the Grineer and Corpus. Trapping everyone you rescue should give you an automatic mission fail. You never kill everyone in a rescue mission(peeps respawn) so you're basically just killing these resistance members anyway. Who are you to kill someone due to their group's actions with your kind of attitude?(Gives me a "killing is bad" feeling from you)

No one says we are heroes, you are definitely a ninja, and the Tenno actually exploit everyone else, not the other way around. DE is currently giving you the freedom of choosing what kind of Tenno you are. Don't make it such a negative big deal.

I mean, the power rangers kill off all their enemies and how many people ridicule them for that?

The Perrin Sequence

The Corpus are merchants that value research, technology, and money above all else. During the Gradivus Dilemna, you killed members of both sides, depending on what you valued as the better personal gain. The lore behind working with the Corpus was to kill more Grineer. They aren't that different from the Corpus, but they seem to want to treat people better.

Personally I think the Sentients would be better fitting with Cephalon Suda, a group infatuated with the void.

Cephalon Suda

The Cephalon Suda does have people in it. They simply use a plethora of AI.

Arbiters of Hexis

The Arbiters want to "enlighten" the Tenno with the knowledge that they are something more than space ninja. This group is "eh" more me. Seems too pacifistic for realism.

Steel Meridian

You're kinda spot on on this. Just a rebel alliance.

All your suggestions I can't agree on since I don't agree with what you think of the current Syndicates in the first place.

My response is gonna be in the quote for scrolling's sake.

Edited by DarkSlayer690

When have the Tenno ever even attempted to 'balance' anything with a method other then mass murder?

So you think balance cant be made through killing?

If one army has more troops than the other killing those extra troops so the two armies have equal numbers is not balance?

Oh, the sentients are beating the Orokin.  Need some balance there, so let's kill them all!  But now the Orokin are powerful because the sentients are all dead.  We'll balance this - by killing all the Orokin too.  Oh the grineer and the corpus are fighting and out of balance.  Let's kill them all too!

Completely different situation.

Point blank:  Making things better through mass murder is our M.O.  And the moment we've killed everything that might be described as a governmental organization, we freeze ourselves and sleep until there's more murdering to be done.

Where did you get the idea the Tenno froze themselves?

So you think balance cant be made through killing?

If one army has more troops than the other killing those extra troops so the two armies have equal numbers is not balance?

Completely different situation.

Where did you get the idea the Tenno froze themselves?

Actually, yeah, balance can come through killing.  If everybody on side A is dead, and everybody on side B is dead, that's balance.  All dead = All dead.  That's how actual balances work - two things are equal.

And what's different about it, exactly?  That we make some friggin' ice cream koan about balance to justify the reality that we do absolutely nothing other then kill people? 

We don't build cities.  The closest thing to industry Tenno have is our foundry, which are used entirely for the purpose of making new ways to kill stuff.  None of our mission objectives are "Help old lady across the street".  We've always got objectives like "Assasinate this guy", or "Exterminate everything that moves".  The closest we ever get to saving lives is "Go into this base, rescue one dude, kill anybody who tries to stop you." 

The fact is we sit back and decide a faction is evil or whatever, and then we go kill them.  And that's it.  "We think you're evil so you die".  Same thing.

And who else do you suppose could've froze the Tenno, exactly?  We killed the Sentients, and then killed the Orokin.  Who was left with the power to actually freeze us?  And do you think it's just a coincidence that we're frozen but can't remember anything?  Enemies don't freeze you and let you forget.  Allies don't wipe your mind when you go into stasis.  No, you do that to yourself cause you've got so much blood on your hands you don't want to remember.

Edited by Phatose

Well I suppose your feedback now makes sense, given that opinion.

Almost nothing is "original" anymore. Especially in science fiction, which is rapidly becoming one of the more "done" genres, originality is harder and harder to find, and also less important. Hell, Warframe is pretty much a combo of stuff like Guyver and Dune. We're not exactly reinventing the wheel here.

It doesn't particularly matter if a faction is original, so much as it matters if that faction is done well. I have no problem with a standard rebel faction existing, so long as it is thematically appropriate and feels like it belongs in Warframe. 

And given how DE does lore.... the base is not starting well.

New Loki mentioning pure humans expands lore.

Tenno wanting to pass their limits looks like will bring new lore.

Generic rebels is at most, at this time, an excuse to have a different path to offer a specific loot set.

And given how DE does lore.... the base is not starting well.

New Loki mentioning pure humans expands lore.

Tenno wanting to pass their limits looks like will bring new lore.

Generic rebels is at most, at this time, an excuse to have a different path to offer a specific loot set.

Subjective.

Steel Meridian and Perrin Sequence expand the lore on their respective factions. Red Veil expands the lore on colonists. 

Subjective.

Steel Meridian and Perrin Sequence expand the lore on their respective factions. Red Veil expands the lore on colonists. 

Perrin doest not, it just bring questions. Are they different from the Corpus? How? We dont know the business plans of the Corpus. All we know is that they make machines, which we destroy, control the rails, and some times use Tennos, which we stop. We have no info on anything else.

Steel doesnt either. We knew there were colonies caught in the middle.

Red Veil like the Perrin jut brings questions. So the Tenno simply freed people because they were captured and dint bother to check why they were there? The Red V were probably killing Grineer civilians.... we should have checked up on this.

Perrin doest not, it just bring questions. Are they different from the Corpus? How? We dont know the business plans of the Corpus. All we know is that they make machines, which we destroy, control the rails, and some times use Tennos, which we stop. We have no info on anything else.

Steel doesnt either. We knew there were colonies caught in the middle.

Red Veil like the Perrin jut brings questions. So the Tenno simply freed people because they were captured and dint bother to check why they were there? The Red V were probably killing Grineer civilians.... we should have checked up on this.

Luckily, they just released some more news here.

https://warframe.com/news/syndicates-alliances-values-and-rewards

Perrin are peaceful Corpus. Steel are honorable Grineer. Red V are wannabe tenno.

Perrin are peaceful Corpus. Steel are honorable Grineer. Red V are wannabe tenno.

Perrin dont want to make money from conflict, doesnt really state they are peaceful.

We already know that the leader of the Steel was a Grineer, nothing new.

It seems like the RV went from maniacs to Tenno-lite, kinda boring.

Perrin dont want to make money from conflict, doesnt really state they are peaceful.

We already know that the leader of the Steel was a Grineer, nothing new.

It seems like the RV went from maniacs to Tenno-lite, kinda boring.

think i hit the mark with many.

BTW new LOKA issues the title Pure, to Tenno which we know are infused with void energy and mostlikely tecnocite o_O

think i hit the mark with many.

BTW new LOKA issues the title Pure, to Tenno which we know are infused with void energy and mostlikely tecnocite o_O

The titles they game i dont think have anything to do with what they think of the Tenno. It's just a rank like in the military.