Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Low Can You Go? {Read Before You Play Limbo}

Liverslices

Yesterday I spent the last bit of my once grand platinum stockpile to buy Limbo... And man am I disappointed. Its not that I wasn't excited or supprised by Limbo, I am actually appalled and just a little bit disgusted. Please read on, Im not just butthurt.

Appearance

What a great idea, DE. I was so excited when I heard a void sorcerer was joining the Tenno family. 'What will it look like?' I wondered. It isnt hard to understand then when I saw Limbo. Limbo does NOT look like a magician. He instead looks like DE tried to make frost wear a dumb helmet and loose weight. 

DE, why would you make Limbo look like this? Not only does it go against the various artistic themes of Warframe, but it doesnt even look like what you are trying to imitate. Even worse, it doesnt look good... Limbo has mud flaps for pants and a stick of cotton candy from the fair as a hat. At this point I would pay for a complete reskin.

Abilities (General)

All Warframes have a theme, and a void sorcerer was a great one. Limbo not only got a cool theme, but also a cool mechanic, where he could "manipulate" dimensions. But this awesome theme and mechanic didnt survive the jump from planning to implimentation. 

Instead of a cool sorcerer theme, we are left with a warframe that can put shiny glowy effects on enemies. An observer should easily be able to see what this warframe is suppose to be doing, but instead we see him waving his arms and making things light up. Occasionally they die afterwards... GREAT.

The mechanic itself is also disappointing. When playing Limbo, being in an alternate dimension is a DISADVANTAGE. You cannot attack enemies or pick up items. You actually have to pull others into it with you, which is a pain (ill talk about that in just a sec). There is also the part where this cool new dimension is just a visual effect that clouds your screen, decreasing visibility.

Abilities (Specific)

When characters have a kit of abilites, synergy between those abilities is very important. For example: Loki can disarm a group of enemies, go invisible, and then place a decoy to lure the disarmed enemies into melee range.

However, Limbo doesnt have that kind of synergy. His 3rd abilty is completely dependent on his 1st and 4th abilities, neither of which are easily used. You either individually target one enemy at at time, or put down his ulti and hope to high heaven that they stumble into it. Meanwhile his 2nd ability makes you useless to your team, unless you use your 1st and 4th abilities agian. 

So what does that mean? He doesnt have synergy because the abilities are too hard to use all at once. You can use them easily by themselves, but they are useless individually.

EDIT: I forgot to mention- Limbo's 2nd ability restors 2 energy per second. This is useful, but it doesnt help his case in any way. 

When it comes down to the bottom line, Limbo is a flop. A good theme and mechanic was spoiled by a ugly look that doesnt fit the Warframe vibe and abilities that are a pain in the @$$ to use. 

I wouldnt recommend to anyone spending time or platinum to get Limbo.

Edited by Liverslices

That's what YOU recommend.

I'm going to enjoy my new top hat and void magic.

I might even attend the birthday parties of Corpus board member children and pull Tenno bred kubrow pups out of my hat and steal their parents' credits.

Although I do recognize that certain aspects of Limbo need rework (troll Limbos putting allies into rift for a long time), I think its far too early to make a heavy judgement on Limbo. Limbo does not play like any other frame; his key role lies in battlefield management and damage control. I see a lot of potential in Limbo's abilities that is just waiting for the right player to come along and figure it out. 

I still wouldn't recommend spending plat to get him early though.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by legendarysidekicksteve

Yesterday I spent the last bit of my once grand platinum stockpile to buy Limbo... And man am I disappointed. Its not that I wasn't excited or supprised by Limbo, I am actually appalled and just a little bit disgusted. Please read on, Im not just butthurt.

Appearance

What a great idea, DE. I was so excited when I heard a void sorcerer was joining the Tenno family. 'What will it look like?' I wondered. It isnt hard to understand then when I saw Limbo. Limbo does NOT look like a magician. He instead looks like DE tried to make frost wear a dumb helmet and loose weight. 

DE, why would you make Limbo look like this? Not only does it go against the various artistic themes of Warframe, but it doesnt even look like what you are trying to imitate. Even worse, it doesnt look good... Limbo has mud flaps for pants and a stick of cotton candy from the fair as a hat. At this point I would pay for a complete reskin.

Abilities (General)

All Warframes have a theme, and a void sorcerer was a great one. Limbo not only got a cool theme, but also a cool mechanic, where he could "manipulate" dimensions. But this awesome theme and mechanic didnt survive the jump from planning to implimentation. 

Instead of a cool sorcerer theme, we are left with a warframe that can put shiny glowy effects on enemies. An observer should easily be able to see what this warframe is suppose to be doing, but instead we see him waving his arms and making things light up. Occasionally they die afterwards... GREAT.

The mechanic itself is also disappointing. When playing Limbo, being in an alternate dimension is a DISADVANTAGE. You cannot attack enemies or pick up items. You actually have to pull others into it with you, which is a pain (ill talk about that in just a sec). There is also the part where this cool new dimension is just a visual effect that clouds your screen, decreasing visibility.

Abilities (Specific)

When characters have a kit of abilites, synergy between those abilities is very important. For example: Loki can disarm a group of enemies, go invisible, and then place a decoy to lure the disarmed enemies into melee range.

However, Limbo doesnt have that kind of synergy. His 3rd abilty is completely dependent on his 1st and 4th abilities, neither of which are easily used. You either individually target one enemy at at time, or put down his ulti and hope to high heaven that they stumble into it. Meanwhile his 2nd ability makes you useless to your team, unless you use your 1st and 4th abilities agian. 

So what does that mean? He doesnt have synergy because the abilities are too hard to use all at once. You can use them easily by themselves, but they are useless individually.

When it comes down to the bottom line, Limbo is a flop. A good theme and mechanic was spoiled by a ugly look that doesnt fit the Warframe vibe and abilities that are a pain in the @$$ to use. 

I wouldnt recommend to anyone spending time or platinum to get Limbo.

nice explanations there mate :)

but you made me to want to take a look at this freaky mess-up :D

...just to make him to sit in inventory, or to be vanished for the sake of space xD

That's what YOU recommend.

I'm going to enjoy my new top hat and void magic.

I might even attend the birthday parties of Corpus board member children and pull Tenno bred kubrow pups out of my hat and steal their parents' credits.

Now this is how you sell a warframe

Limbo does not play like any other frame; his key role lies in battlefield management and damage control.

Sounds alot like Nyx and Loki, but I see what you are saying. He is different. I figured that out quickly.

How can he manage a battlefield if he has to target each enemy individually to banish them? This is both a waste of time and a waste of energy. His ulti also doesnt do this well because it is hard to control and it keeps other players from helping.

what?

He edited his spelling mistakes

i only agree with you on one point.. you cant pick up drops in hsi void.. which seriously hinders me

as for his look..

you were expecting this..

sorcerer.jpg

but we got this, which i like better

Magician-Isolated-dreamstime_xxl_1686990

What we expected: Warframe_logo_by_jackshepardn7-d681vp4.p

What we got: 716px-Fisher-price-logo.svg.png

Edited by Liverslices

Limbo actually offers quite a few things to his allies:
-He can safely revive anyone anywhere by rift walking to them and reviving.
-He can make the most damaging enemies completely harmless until the group is ready to deal with them.
-He can pop his 4 and give his allies a safe area to heal/revive/reload/regain energy

-Against infested he can make the defense target completely invulernable because it isn't shunted, meaning he hits 4 and the pod is 100% safe against them
-Abilities do cross the rift/material boundry.  Shunt ember into the void and have her hug enemies while safely using accelerant, world on fire and fire blast without fear of being hurt AND while regening energy slowly.
-Can Riftwalk to get around laser doors and things that allies are activating elsewhere without penalty
-Can Riftwalk to safely draw fire from heavy enemies so allies can take them down without worry as he shunts other enemies to the Rift and deal with him

He is far from useless, and when actually used well he does his job very safely.
He can disable the largest damage dealers and then get bonus damage against them while the team picks up the other trash left behind.
He can save allies from near insta-death attacks that are coming their way by shunting them to the void quickly so that they can heal.  I've actually saved people from Stalkers Slash Dash and the G3 already.  Not to mention Napalm rockets.
He is different than other battlefield control frames and he can do it incredibly well.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I cant tell how i like / hate him yet , but i gotta say im dissapointed by the whole "other dimension" mechanic , i was expecting something different , i was hoping for to actually put the target in a different dimension , turn it ghostly for the ones outside the rift , in the battlefield when you have alot of enemies around its as hard to notice the targets inside the rift as it is to notice targets affected by Mind Control , comon DE , you can make the visual effect on rifted targets better .

Limbo actually offers quite a few things to his allies:

-He can safely revive anyone anywhere by rift walking to them and reviving.

-He can make the most damaging enemies completely harmless until the group is ready to deal with them.

-He can pop his 4 and give his allies a safe area to heal/revive/reload/regain energy

-Against infested he can make the defense target completely invulernable because it isn't shunted, meaning he hits 4 and the pod is 100% safe against them

-Abilities do cross the rift/material boundry.  Shunt ember into the void and have her hug enemies while safely using accelerant, world on fire and fire blast without fear of being hurt AND while regening energy slowly.

-Can Riftwalk to get around laser doors and things that allies are activating elsewhere without penalty

-Can Riftwalk to safely draw fire from heavy enemies so allies can take them down without worry as he shunts other enemies to the Rift and deal with him

He is far from useless, and when actually used well he does his job very safely.

He can disable the largest damage dealers and then get bonus damage against them while the team picks up the other trash left behind.

He can save allies from near insta-death attacks that are coming their way by shunting them to the void quickly so that they can heal.  I've actually saved people from Stalkers Slash Dash and the G3 already.  Not to mention Napalm rockets.

He is different than other battlefield control frames and he can do it incredibly well.

I did not say Limbo is useless. He has some good things about him. However, the bad things about him are too bad for the good things to outshine.