Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Magnetism Requires Los, Shouldn't We Be In Zero-Gravity If We Can't See The Sun / Large Mass Object?

(PSN)Stinja

Having line of sight means there are no barriers between you and what you're looking at. It's not a question of "sight" so much as it is "what's between you and your target."

If there's something between you and your target, and that something happens to be able to block or divert magnetic fields, you can bet your britches that you're not going to hit the target with a magnetism-based attack.

I'm aware of that. Which is why there's some degree of silliness/discontinuity (i.e. on Earth)

It would make more sense on a Corpus ship; they have a LOT of electronic devices, so they're going to want to have a LOT of EM/Magnetic shielding set up to protect sensitive electronics.

So, if enemies are in back of me, magnetism still dont work because i cant see them.

Or LoS still work in a small radius back of me?

The question therefore is, why does shield polarize get the LoS treatment but Crush does not, if logic.

But for real, I can't even attempt to try to sound intelligent when Logic is attempted to explain occurrences or used as a rationale involved in games with such fantastical abilities and powers.

So, if enemies are in back of me, magnetism still dont work because i cant see them.

I think you're confused about how line of sight works. You can still hit enemies behind you with a radial LoS ability.

indeed you can swing/shoot blindly, but will it go through a wall? nope, will you have the accuracy to even hit anything at all? 

is your sight different than mine? cause as far as i know.. my sight is not a physical material nor does is exert any force in the world

We're talking about magnetic fields, magnetic fields go through walls.

This is like arguing no one should have died in Hiroshima or Nagasaki because the bomber pilot was too far away to see people on the ground.

This isn't about shoot blindly, it's about arguing that a nuke needs to know there is something there to kill it.

It would make more sense on a Corpus ship; they have a LOT of electronic devices, so they're going to want to have a LOT of EM/Magnetic shielding set up to protect sensitive electronics.

Yes and no, they would only require the external shell of the ship to protect against EM/Magnetic as well as around any potential sources on board of the ship. This could also be negated if they have shields that serve the same purpose (though some redundancy couldn't hurt).

From what I understand, the Line-of-sight rule is that if you can see the enemy or the enemy can see you (including if you can see the enemy by turning/looking in a different direction without moving your position), you can hit them.

Basically if there are no obstacles between you and the enemy, your skill will hit them.

Having line of sight means there are no barriers between you and what you're looking at. It's not a question of "sight" so much as it is "what's between you and your target."

If there's something between you and your target, and that something happens to be able to block or divert magnetic fields, you can bet your britches that you're not going to hit the target with a magnetism-based attack.

I'm aware of that. Which is why there's some degree of silliness/discontinuity (i.e. on Earth)

I can debunk your theory by saying mag's ult, crush (which is also magnetic), ignores LoS.

Isn't Earth a huge magnet? if a Object comes Close to Earth I assume the magneic Field will not get work anymore because of this New obstacle? Using the Shield Polarize as the framework, I Guess that is how DE thinks?

The earths magnetic field is only about 0.5 Gauss while a typical kitchen magnet has an average rating of 100 Gauss.

Edited by Dead_Rabbits

I might need a science person...  but if both magnetism and gravity are field-phenomena, i.e.: they create fields of force thru their respective effects on mass/matter, surely this means (in the Warframe universe's laws of physics) we should have zero gravity, unless a large mass object is within LoS?

Walking outside on Ceres - gravity and magnetism functioning normally;  go indoors / put a wall between the sun and enemies, and suddenly magnetism and gravity should turn off.

Someone please explain, my schooling can't comprehend how the laws of physics are meant to work anymore... 

Remove Earth from your line of sight (by closing your eyes, being in a tall building and not facing windows, etc). Are you weightless now? No?

Line of sight is not relevant to gravity.

Ceres is a dwarf planet with its own gravity, being indoors should not turn off gravity. There is no faraday cage for gravity AFAIK. Being indoors on Earth doesn't make you weightless, there's no reason it should on Ceres.

The general rule with sci-fi is that the rules of science work the same way as they do in reality, unless stated otherwise.

I agree with LoS for some powers...which are obvious  (hell, Bladestorm is debatable but then his ult would be useless).  However, Shield Polarize probably should not require LoS.

Then change the damage output portion of it. Something's gotta take the hit, it's just a matter of what (and given that Shield Polarize, a second ability, can completely decimate any and all Corpus, this isn't about Viver either).

OP do you ever try to wall run? in warframe when you try to wall run or wall climb the walls make you bounce some meters and propel you/your frame in the air like there is no gravity falling slowly.... this have been working this way since december 2013 or before enough to believe is intentional, so yes there is almost no gravity in warframe or at least when the sun isn't directly lighting the warframe.

Edited by KonRon

From what I understand, the Line-of-sight rule is that if you can see the enemy or the enemy can see you (including if you can see the enemy by turning/looking in a different direction without moving your position), you can hit them.

Basically if there are no obstacles between you and the enemy, your skill will hit them.

So... Mag Pull?

That is why i have trust issues.

Some of you are taking this WAYYYYY too literally. Line of Sight doesn't mean you have to see it in order to kill it, it means that there should be no obstructions (aka. tangible objects) to block your wave of destruction. 

I'm seriously face palming myself to death. What ever happened to common sense?

Some of you are taking this WAYYYYY too literally. Line of Sight doesn't mean you have to see it in order to kill it, it means that there should be no obstructions (aka. tangible objects) to block your wave of destruction. 

I'm seriously face palming myself to death. What ever happened to common sense?

Except radial javelin is now forward javelin and Mag can't see herself.  Also it's a bad mechanic, why do I need a nuke if I can already see the enemy when I have a gun.

Except radial javelin is now forward javelin and Mag can't see herself.  Also it's a bad mechanic, why do I need a nuke if I can already see the enemy when I have a gun.

You are incorrect.

Radial javelin still hits 360 degrees. It will only hit enemies that have a "line of sight" (read: no obstacles between player and enemy) to the player. It has been tested and confirmed working (anyone who says otherwise is reading "line of sight" as "line of sight + field of view" and has not actually tested it themselves).

Except radial javelin is now forward javelin and Mag can't see herself.  Also it's a bad mechanic, why do I need a nuke if I can already see the enemy when I have a gun.

I don't understand what your argument is. But I'm explaining what "LOS" is. I'm not defending game mechanics good or bad or how inconsistent/consisten they are. I'm just pointing out how taking LOS literally is plain ridiculous.

This is a very strange thread to me that seems to indicate some glaring misapprehensions (no offense) regarding how magnetism and such work. I'd like to offer what I think are some definitive answers as a physics student, but I'm not sure what the question is... is it about the game's physics in general, or are we talking about some specific warframe powers i.e. Mag's?

This is a very strange thread to me that seems to indicate some glaring misapprehensions (no offense) regarding how magnetism and such work. I'd like to offer what I think are some definitive answers as a physics student, but I'm not sure what the question is... is it about the game's physics in general, or are we talking about some specific warframe powers i.e. Mag's?

He's just being sarcastic about the LoS nerf to Shield Polarize.  I don't think the nerf was needed and I do not think that the sarcasm was warranted.

He's just being sarcastic about the LoS nerf to Shield Polarize.  I don't think the nerf was needed and I do not think that the sarcasm was warranted.

That makes sense, I wasn't actually aware of the nerf until this thread... still, there are apparently people here who think you fall towards the Earth because of the Sun... ?