Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Initial Melee Weapons Through The Game

1FFP1

Question

Hi, I'm new to this game and I want to know if it's viable to keep using weaker weapons like skanas or even heatsword (don't have it yet) until the higher levels. I mean, I like the way they look and I wanted to use them efficiently forever. It is possible to match a dragon nikana with mods,stances, etc?

melee is my focus in combat.

To be honest, MK-1 Bo and Skana are weapons you should replace when you can, theyre fine at lower lvl, but without good mods theyre useless, yes skana can be brought to high tier mission, but it won't be as good as Scindo prime, Dual Ichors, Dakra prime or Dragon nikana, and yes there is a special mod for skana, 

Heat sword can be good vs infested, but heat base dmg isn't really good, unlike electricity.

I would recommend for you ;

Scindo

Orthos

Bo

Fragor

Ether Reaper

Glaive ( alert weapon )

also a tip ; Don't pick up daggers. they suck for the most part

Pretty much what everyone said. Any melee weapon is viable, even beginner ones, as long as it's catalysted, formaed multiple times, but then you'd have to work up to there. A skana can be as good as a dragon nikana through proper modding and formaing. If you want to take a Skana to a T4 Survival, i'd suggest you mod it properly with elementals to make up for the weak base damage. I have soloed fought Alad V with a Skana and Braton. It's not impossible. But I'd suggest trying out different weapons for mastery purposes. You might find another weapon you might like.

Good Luck, Tenno.

Edited by TheKingOfAllNoobs

Pretty much what everyone said. Any melee weapon is viable, even beginner ones, as long as it's catalysted, formaed multiple times, but then you'd have to work up to there. A skana can be as good as a dragon nikana through proper modding and formaing. If you want to take a Skana to a T4 Survival, i'd suggest you mod it properly with elementals to make up for the weak base damage. I have fought Alad V with a Skana and Braton. It's not impossible. But I'd suggest trying out different weapons for mastery purposes. You might find another weapon you might like.

Good Luck, Tenno.

Viable =/= Comparable. There are many delusional people in this thread thinking that just because you bring a skana to a t4s, that makes it viable. I could bring an unranked skana and it wouldn't even matter since I'm killing the enemies with Primaries and Secondaries anyway.

Your skana can't be as good as your dragon nikana, PERIOD, because the base stat of dragon nikana is just a whole lot better than a dragon nikana. Otherwise, we would have seen people running with mk-1 braton in a T4S, after all, every weapon is viable through forma and potato, right? right? ... right?

Your skana can't be as good as your dragon nikana, PERIOD, because the base stat of dragon nikana is just a whole lot better than a dragon nikana. Otherwise, we would have seen people running with mk-1 braton in a T4S, after all, every weapon is viable through forma and potato, right? right? ... right?

Dragon nikana doesnt get the 300% damage boost from Crimson dervish and it does not have the 100% damage boost from Bright Purity. The Skana can be made to do quite a bit of damage if you want to put that much effort into it.

That is a 400% damage boost, it would put the Skana on similar levels as D.nikana

Viable =/= Comparable. There are many delusional people in this thread thinking that just because you bring a skana to a t4s, that makes it viable. I could bring an unranked skana and it wouldn't even matter since I'm killing the enemies with Primaries and Secondaries anyway.

Total damage of my Dragon Nikana with Radiation+Viral build = 827

Total damage of my Skana with the same build, with Crimson Dervish x3 multiplier = 897

Looks viable to me.

Dragon nikana doesnt get the 300% damage boost from Crimson dervish and it does not have the 100% damage boost from Bright Purity. The Skana can be made to do quite a bit of damage if you want to put that much effort into it.

That is a 400% damage boost, it would put the Skana on similar levels as D.nikana

It's more than that because the crimson dervish damage boost isn't additive.

But that damage boost is only for the normal E combo. Nothing for other more powerful ones like spin/slam/air attacks. That's the main reason why crimson dervish doesn't make single handed swords actually very powerful. Only the players who melee by spamming E and not using the better attacks think it's very powerful.

It's more than that because the crimson dervish damage boost isn't additive.

But that damage boost is only for the normal E combo. Nothing for other more powerful ones like spin/slam/air attacks. That's the main reason why crimson dervish doesn't make single handed swords actually very powerful. Only the players who melee by spamming E and not using the better attacks think it's very powerful.

But at least the other two combos are actually useful, Twisting Flurry causes knockdown and Coiling Impale prompts a counterattack finisher, which is useful for dealing with high-leveled humanoid enemies.

Total damage of my Dragon Nikana with Radiation+Viral build = 827

Total damage of my Skana with the same build, with Crimson Dervish x3 multiplier = 897

Looks viable to me.

IDK what food you give to your melees but your damage is way too low.

On a serious note, I learned it the hard way that when comparing melee weapons with different stances you shouldn't take them at face value.

My D. Nikana for corpus.

Result:http://imgur.com/a/Q7y9a

Normal attack 2.3k DMG - 7.2k DMG

Crit 4.7k DMG - 17.5k DMG

You would think that it's actually my combo counter that's affecting the damage, but NOPE. The highest non-crit damage that I got was from first attack actually(1 combo mult), which completely throws the charts off.

If you want to compare how viable skana is based on the face value, try comparing it with a weapon with same stance (Dakra P for example).

Skana VS Dakra P

Edited by xyLoneZ

So I'm delusional? That's nice to hear, at least I don't go for the most strongest weapons and give other weapons a chance.

If you can bring it into a match and work well with it, it means it is viable for usage.