Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Endgame-Worthy Long Range Primaries?

PurpleBomber

Question

I love my Synapse, Amprex, and Hek dearly, but they can be a bit awkward to carry around when I'm not using my Marelok for a secondary. There's a fair number of good short/mid-range secondaries now (Brakk, Synoid Gammacor, Despiar/Hikou Prime, etc), and after looking at my inventory I realized I don't really have a good long-ranged primary to match up with them.

I do have the Opticor but lack the needed mods for it (Vile Acceleration specifically), I'm not a huge fan of the Soma (probably not worth investing in with the Prime upcoming anyway), and I've never used a bow before (but feel free to reopen the Dread/Paris Prime debate now that the 120% puncture mods are out). Also I do have the Latron Wraith (pre-potatoed obviously, which is a plus), but I'm not sure if that's really viable deep into a Survival or Defense.

So, thoughts? (and feel free to suggest something I failed to name if you think it has potential)

21 answers to this question

depends on how far away you really want to get.   Sybaris can headshot anything on 99% of maps without a zoom mod, if you are a good shot.   It can do the bigger maps if you put the zoom on it.  It holds more shots than pure snipers, but I prefer it to those. 

The vectis can become outstanding with the mod that boosts the first shot fired in a mag -- it only has 1 shot in the mag.  It can be a brutal weapon at any range. 

MOST of the rifles in-game can be used at MOST of the distances in the game without a big deal.  Those are just 2 examples that are closer to the sniper paradigm (neither one is really any good as a sniper rifle -- they go about 5-10% of the distance that a real world rifle would go, if that).  The magnification is on par with an 1800s era scope.  (For reference, I can read the date off a penny at the distances we can barely see the head of a grineer with a cheap deer rifle). 

Edited by jonnin

mmm dat vile accel doe.

personally, youve named off a good majority of endgame primaries. if youve never used a bow, perhaps you should now. at first i thought they were half-baked, but with firerate increases they become some of the most battle-effective weapons out there.

dunno if youd consider boltor prime far enough on the list. probably should though, i find that anything projectile based tends to be more effective.

ultimately, pierce, projectile, and heavy crit/proc weapons are what to look for. the bows tend to sum up those passively.

Edited by Satwo

The Latron Wraith is quite a viable weapon and fills the long range part better than any other weapon. I only used the Latron Prime, but the Latron Wraith has a very similar firepower when I look at builds with it in the Warframe Builder. Crit mods are a must on it, though, including Hammer Shot.

I put five forma into my Sybaris simply because I thought it was fun to shoot, and now it one-shots everything in my T4 missions. It has a long reload time for its small clip (just five trigger pulls), but I feel like that's to balance its huge amount of damage per shot. It's super accurate too.

Boltor Prime is more of a close to mid range but it can do for long range. Braton prime is decent at range as well.

For longer range though I would suggest Burston Prime, Latron Prime/Wraith, Lanka and the bows(which BTW bows where still incredibly viable before the puncture mods)

I don't consider the Boltor Prime long range, no, and while the Braton Prime doesn't exactly have anything going against it... eh.

Quanta... it does have 50 meters on the beam range, but that's not what the Quanta's about at all so I'm not going to call that long range either.

I'd love to use the Opticor, but I've yet to bother to do the vault runs for Vile Acceleration.

The two bows I do consider an option, though I'm not sure which as I haven't heard much fresh debate between them after the Mutalist event. I do have both the Slash and Puncture event mods, for the record. I am aware that Dread is a cheaper investment since it already has those polarities, and that is worth something to me.

Sybaris does seem kinda neat, but the forma investment is such a back-breaker for me.

I might just throw 3 Forma on the Latron Wraith and see what happens, since I already have it and 3 Forma's not too bad of an investment.

I consider the Lanka generally inferior to the Opticor, and snipers in general lacking (DE plz buff). I don't really see myself using Vectis short of buying a Primed Chamber (which even imagining the cost is laughable).

I have heard good things about the Burston Prime, but I don't have its parts and I'm not very far in Arbiters of Hexis for its augment mod either.

As for what I define as endgame, I can already solo 20 waves of T4 Defense and 40 minutes of T4 Survival (whee Marelok). I just want some primaries to compliment my short-range secondaries so I can keep doing what I already do.

Vectis is a fantastic weapon.  It's basically a rifle version of a bow: single-shot, high damage per round.  I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic, too.  You can crank up its base damage really well, and it's decently accurate when fired from the hip (no-scope).

Note: I'm biased because I really enjoy sniper weapons.  Vectis + hush is great for soloing extermination missions, too.

Vectis is a fantastic weapon.  It's basically a rifle version of a bow: single-shot, high damage per round.  I'm a huge fan of the aesthetic, too.  You can crank up its base damage really well, and it's decently accurate when fired from the hip (no-scope).

Note: I'm biased because I really enjoy sniper weapons.  Vectis + hush is great for soloing extermination missions, too.

+ 1 You dam straight  

Edited by SlapClown

Vulkar with Lasting Purity is pretty nice, too. The +60% dead aim is incredible in boosting damage, and the Purity effect to proc everything with Corrosive is very good against Void enemies.

Paris Prime and Dread are always great. They do take a while to get used to, though, but then you feel pro getting a headshot from across the room. Or a headshot from in the air!

Opticor does not need Vile Acceleration. Just learn target priority to snipe out big guys or use Shred and hit the ground to clear out mooks.

My personal favourites are:

Vectis

Sybaris

Dread

When it comes to really tough content though, nothing matches the Dread. 

you don't have to put 5+ forma into sybaris to get a good weapon.    3 will get you a very, very good gun.   Diminishing returns kick in after 4, IMHO.  

You kind of do because that's what it takes to get both crit mods and a double element on there. If you leave out the crit mods, you may as well be using the Tiberon/Burston P and if you leave out the elements... well you won't achieve a whole lot once you start using it in areas where guns should be Forma'd anyway. 

Edited by Cynick

You kind of do because that's what it takes to get both crit mods and a double element on there. If you leave out the crit mods, you may as well be using the Tiberon/Burston P and if you leave out the elements... well you won't achieve a whole lot once you start using it in areas where guns should be Forma'd anyway. 

True, if your only purpose for  it is endless hour+ content.   With 3, I can do anything else with it just fine.   The reload time, capacity, and fire rate drag me down in endless large waves, and I don't care to use it there, so I guess what I was trying to say is 3 is fine for exterminate/capture/solo/stealthy sniper type runs. 

Vulkar with Lasting Purity is pretty nice, too. The +60% dead aim is incredible in boosting damage, and the Purity effect to proc everything with Corrosive is very good against Void enemies.

I love the Vulkar, too.  I haven't potatoed it yet, but when I mentioned how much I liked it, I was laughed at.  Still have it, though.  I'm a fan of sniping!