Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lotus In Bloom [Ooc]

Temperance000

Speaking on the behalf of another character. I.E. Pinning the frost's wrists, then taking his gun, then disassembling and disabling it, and then apparently handin the pieces back. The way to not Metagame in this situation would be to attempt to pin the frost's wrists, and then give renegade time to respond.

From forum rules:

Do not post on behalf of another character, unless you have their express permission. If you wish to make a post that involves another person’s character, then you may wish to contact them first and be sure that the actions you have planned fit the character concept.

For example, Bob the Grineer enters the room and shouts death-threats at the Tenno present. That in itself is not a problem, but if Bob also posts that all the Tenno cower in fight at his manly voice, you are taking control of that character away from the controlling player.

This process is called Metagaming and is a big no-no in forum-based RP groups.

Ah. For clarity, we usually refer to that subset of metagaming, making other characters perform actions, as 'hijacking.' The term metagaming is more commonly applied to using OOC knowledge for an IC advantage. 

Though that's just terminology quibbles.

More on topic, perhaps a better way to handle it would have been "Arthur attemped to take the weapon from him," but given the Frost's lack of coordination, actually being able to resist that would be very out of character.

True, I never had Renegades permission to do that. Although I'm used to that as long as you don't harm another character this is usually okay even it it's on the border. I held his wrists and took his gun, that's all. I never added anything to the Frost, what he did or said or thought. And I needed to get a point accross fast, so maybe that was impatient.

But als as Snale said, I doubt that he would have been able to resist it as clumsy as he's shown himself to be. And this was perfectly IC for my OCs to do without punching him in the face.

Now what was this about me metagaming all the time?

Gots it, just saying, if that happens to my character...

Also, this is the second instance of it I've seen, the first was when Jynx invaded Lancelots mind also forcing him to calm down in the same post. You could argue that blah blah Nyx would be able to control minds, but when looking at PVP in game and how helpful it is to mind control another player(not a specter) it seems obvious that tenno are able to resist a Nyx's mind control.

Edited by ultimatumcore

Also, this is the second instance of it I've seen, the first was when Jynx invaded Lancelots mind also forcing him to calm down in the same post. You could argue that blah blah Nyx would be able to control minds, but when looking at PVP in game and how helpful it is to mind control another player(not a specter) it seems obvious that tenno are able to resist a Nyx's mind control.

In that case I actually did have Drakes permission. Anything else?

People, I do not care if other roleplayers hijack/do whatever to my character (to a very good tolerance), because I just go with whatever happens, and make it up from there. 

So, just do whatever you like to my character. That is all. 

No need to be so fatalistic, Renegade. As I mentioned before, I don't think there's much Alfrond could have done to stop Arthur anyway, from what we've seen.

Actually, that raises a concern we've been kicking around in the chat. Alfrond seems kind of inconsistent. How could someone who accidentally fired their firearm also reassemble it blind? Someone familiar enough with the weapon to quickly reassemble would be able to keep the safety on, and someone with the coordination to do so blind wouldn't be tripping over doorframes, especially a Tenno.

Hypothetical questions so I can better understand your opinion; would you call if hijacking if-

1. Someone wrote that their character's weapon hit your character,

2. If they go on to say it went through the shielding

3. A GM writes that some Infested beast hits your character hard enough to send them flying across the room

4. If they go on to write that it, indeed, sent your character flying across the room

People have different opinions on what level of injury or forced movement is hijacking.

Edited by SnaleKing

Nope that's it, statement retracted about "always" hijacking, but I'd really prefer being given a heads up so as to when it was agreed to or not, but in all honesty, it's your choice to inform me, I'll most likely only call it out if it's in blatant disregard for the actions and ownerships of many characters at once.

1. They can say they swung at my character, or the like, and it will very likely hit, but not in a place of lethal or fatal range, resulting from my character attempting to block or dodge.

2. I do believe that's a textbook hijacking, as you can not possibly know exactly how much shielding my character has, though if discussed earlier, would not be hijacking, of course.

3 & 4. I'm assuming that GM means the same thing as DM, and if that's the case, what the GM, DM, or OP says, goes, though I reserve the right to choose whether or not my character dies from that attack and throwing.

Simplified:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. No.

Edited by ultimatumcore

Actually, that raises a concern we've been kicking around in the chat. Alfrond seems kind of inconsistent. How could someone who accidentally fired their firearm also reassemble it blind? Someone familiar enough with the weapon to quickly reassemble would be able to keep the safety on, and someone with the coordination to do so blind wouldn't be tripping over doorframes, especially a Tenno.

Consider it like the differences between pure mathematics and applied mathematics. 

Both areas deal with mathematics, but one would be dealing with problems that can be applied to real life (and thus would be less skilled in dealing with problems that uses just the rules of mathematics), and the other would be dealing with the other aspect (which means that Alfrond would know how to build and reassemble things [including weapons], but would be a bit lacking in the 'gun-firing' skill). 

And excellent fine motor skills ≠ excellent gross motor skills. Besides, he was having a debate in his head, so a bit of inattentiveness would be normal.

Hey guys, not attacking anyone, just being a bit surprised at how so many of the group were instantly hostile... Though I guess it makes sense for the no nonsense, masters of the gun and blade, tenno. It'll be nice to RP the caring character for a change.

On another note. I am amazed at the amount of OCs in this thread who seem to lack any sense of what security and safety is. For example, does Annabelle realise how many she might have to treat for injuries if this Frosts behaviour went unchecked? And many of the others seem to just shrug what happened of as if it was nothing.

What Jinx and Arthur did was nice compared to what a Drill Sergent or Officer would have said or done IRL. What that Frost did was something really serious. Something that might even have cost a soldier their position. So why aren't more of the Tenno actually not taking this seriously? This frost is someone you're going to have to trust with your life out on the field. And he can't even handle the most basic weapon safety procedures? Why was he even playing around with his gun in a crowed area to begin with?

You are correct on most accounts, but remember that Annabelle will be able to heal most wounds, considering her In game fourth ability, she's designed to be more of a caring mother than an angry doctor, and she's already kind of mad at Jynx and Arthur for lashing out at her when she thought she was helping. Though it is true, things like a misfiring of a weapon are grave indeed, and, considering we are "masters of the gun and blade" I guess it could be assumed as an insult to all tenno. So that angle makes the most sense...

Do you think they're bad or poorly written characters, or dislike them like a movie villain?

Neither. I mean, I just hate them in the sense that, they're too... I don't see anyone getting along with them.

I don't hate movie villains, because honestly, the more of a menacing, or well-done villain they are, the more they give me chills or the more dark they are, it makes me love them more.

Jinx and Arthur are just those grade A a*sholes in a movie that you expect to clap when they get punched in the end and knocked on their a*s or get put in their place.

For example; The Walking Dead.

I /hated/ that blonde girl. Hated her so much I can't even freaking remember her name that's how happy I was she was gone.

No loyalties, and she was a complete b*tch. /hated/ her. Started with an A I think... L...?

Regardless, Jinx and Arthur are the stuck up bullies that I'd have straight-up broken my pacifistic ways to /deck in the faces./

That's bad coming from me because I don't hate people, and if I have to deal with someone, I do it by ways of mischief and things that aggrivate or scare you to the point of leaving me be, all the while amusing myself in the process.

Edited by WingedCrusade

I dislike Jinx and Arthur no matter what you say to justify.

Just getting that out.

CORRECTION!;

Dislike with /extreme prejudice./

That's fine and dandy, but please try to remember to keep OOC perceptions out of IC interactions.

I.E. While you might think that Jinx and Arthur's reactions were over-the-top, would your character, who is a trained killer, think the same? In an actual military position (read: what all our characters are in) Alfrond would have been much more heavily reprimanded. Not only was he disrespecting his superiors (by 'zoning out' Temperance's speech), he also actively endangered every person in the room by interacting with - and eventually firing, his weapon in a crowded area. Even if they wouldn't be mortally wounded, getting burned by a Spectra would still hurt.

Edited by fishworshipper

Neither. I mean, I just hate them in the sense that, they're too... I don't see anyone getting along with them.

I don't hate movie villains, because honestly, the more of a menacing, or well-done villain they are, the more they give me chills or the more dark they are, it makes me love them more.

Jinx and Arthur are just those grade A a*sholes in a movie that you expect to clap when they get punched in the end and knocked on their a*s or get put in their place.

For example; The Walking Dead.

I /hated/ that blonde girl. Hated her so much I can't even freaking remember her name that's how happy I was she was gone.

No loyalties, and she was a complete b*tch. /hated/ her. Started with an A...

I see. I'm curious how people will perceive Zokah, since she has a similar intolerance for such things. Difference is, she doesn't think it's worth it to even speak with those she deems incompetent.

I think I can speak for me and Viper, when we say we aren't always out to make affable characters. Just good ones.

Edited by SnaleKing

I have a separate thought process than that of my OCs of any given RP, except those made to represent me. While I'd have been pulling on my psycho nutcase smile by now and plotting my oh-so joyously enjoyable mischief to pull on them to oh-so subtly enact maddening revenge, Lusith will try to be friendly and look past it as best she can...

And if they piss her off? Well, Lusith's got a favor in for her Paralysis power and has a brick-wall of rage and anger for a firewall in her mind to keep others out.

(Keep that in mind, Viper and Jinx. You try to get in there, you're hitting a sh*t storm of a brick wall and p*ssing off a Valkyr that'll rip your arm off and beat you with it. I'd probably just play jump rope with your intestines.)

Edited by WingedCrusade

I see. I'm curious how people will perceive Zokah, since she has a similar intolerance for such things. Difference is, she doesn't think it's worth it to even speak with those she deems incompetent.

I think I can speak for me and Viper, when we say we aren't always out to make affable characters. Just good ones. Like Fish has pointed out, it's important to separate IC and OOC feelings.

I edited my post.

Besides, while I may hate those two and want to find out what makes their minds and sanity tick, Lusith will see past that and realize that she has to work in the same ship as them so she may as well try to make it pleasant as possible.

I still would have punched them though. Especially Jinx.

I edited my post.

Besides, while I may hate those two and want to find out what makes their minds and sanity tick, Lusith will see past that and realize that she has to work in the same ship as them so she may as well try to make it pleasant as possible.

I still would have punched them though. Especially Jinx.

I had a similar reaction when I first met Jinx in Faithful.

Then my character spent a lot of time around her. 

And I realized that everything she did and thought was completely justified.

Just wait, you'll see.

I have to say, speaking of dislike and like for characters, Dalimir, your Nekros has managed to hit that small spot in the mischief god's darker side inside me in just the right way.

His dark and foreboding aura about him just tickles me in a good way.

Edited by WingedCrusade