Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Graphics Card Help :d

MajesticPinecone

not exactly sure if this belongs in off-topic of players helping players im not very smart in computer tech but i KNOW i need to upgrade my graphics card especially if i plan on playing TW3.

im wondering if there is a massive difference in 2gb cards and 3gb cards.. im looking to spend anywhere from lets say...100-250$ right now im using a 1gb card and its performed great for what i love but i do notice in the higher graphic games i gotta play on low ):

anyone have any good recommendations for cards? also the only thing ive replaced on my comp is a fan im assuming a graphics card is a bit more complicated then that but do you think its beyond an average persons know how to install ?

happy new years! 

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

not sure how to find out my powersupply without taking my case off and its to late for that
Edited by Grim_Shadow

The more gigabytes means more processing space and power. You can't go wrong with higher.

Actually, you also have to consider power consumption as well. 

I mean, sure, your graphics card is top of the line, but it probably would be a bit bad if it rendered your laptop's full charge down to zero in thirty minutes. 

The memory value on cards is "VRAM".  It's space for holding models, textures, and other things like that.  The difference between 2GB and 3GB on the same card is negligible for normal gaming practices nowadays, it'd only come into play with ultra-HD resolutions, triple-monitor gaming, things like that.

There's a lot more to cards than just the VRAM, it's entirely possible for a 1GB VRAM card to kick the butt of a 2GB one.  Could you tell us some actual model numbers involved here, like what your current setup is and what you're looking at?

I mean, sure, your graphics card is top of the line, but it probably would be a bit bad if it rendered your laptop's full charge down to zero in thirty minutes. 

Well, laptop graphics aren't upgradeable in general.

Edited by Rydian

The difference between 2GB and 3GB on the same card is negligible for normal gaming practices nowadays, it'd only come into play with ultra-HD resolutions, triple-monitor gaming, things like that.

There's a lot more to cards than just the VRAM, it's entirely possible for a 1GB VRAM card to kick the butt of a 2GB one.

This is very important to remember, everyone.

Actually, I had my Mac kaput recently, and I just went to get it fixed, and also ordered for the other graphics card (the one that is not Intel) to be upgraded slightly for other things. 

And you can upgrade laptop graphics. It just takes more care, and more risk associated with it. 

Actually, I had my Mac kaput recently, and I just went to get it fixed, and also ordered for the other graphics card (the one that is not Intel) to be upgraded slightly for other things.

If your dedicated card came back as a different physical model, then chances are they sent you a different machine back than the one you sent in.

And you can upgrade laptop graphics. It just takes more care, and more risk associated with it. 

Laptop cards do not use a standard physical connector or form-factor, they are not able to be upgraded like desktop graphics.  You cannot take a different model out and put another model in.

I mean... just try to find a site selling laptop cards for upgrade.  The only ones you'll find, if any, are replacement parts for specific laptops, not generic ones that you can upgrade any laptop with.

If your dedicated card came back as a different physical model, then chances are they sent you a different machine back than the one you sent in.

The Intel one is integrated. The other one was something else. 

Laptop cards do not use a standard physical connector or form-factor, they are not able to be upgraded like desktop graphics.  You cannot take a different model out and put another model in.

Technically, you still can upgrade laptop graphics card. Some would need you to disassemble most of the computer (and maybe the motherboard) to do it. Some would just need you to take off the back cover of the laptop to do it. 

I mean... just try to find a site selling laptop cards for upgrade.  The only ones you'll find, if any, are replacement parts for specific laptops, not generic ones that you can upgrade any laptop with.

The point I am making is that laptop graphics card can be upgraded. It is irrelevant to whether the upgraded graphics card can be used to upgrade any laptop. 

The Intel one is integrated. The other one was something else.

And that is what I am referencing as the dedicated card.  If that came back as a different physical model, then chances are your mac was swapped for a different one and had the profile transferred (OSX's UNIX design can make this process surprisingly-easy from what I've seen).

Technically, you still can upgrade laptop graphics card. Some would need you to disassemble most of the computer (and maybe the motherboard) to do it. Some would just need you to take off the back cover of the laptop to do it. 

That statement of yours assumes that these things are swappable separate cards like desktops use and that laptops have spare slots for cards like desktops do.  It's usually not that way.

The point I am making is that laptop graphics card can be upgraded. It is irrelevant to whether the upgraded graphics card can be used to upgrade any laptop. 

The idea that laptop graphics can be upgraded like desktops is one of the most common misconceptions I see.  People assume it must be so because it is this way with desktops.

Why don't you do what I said earlier and try to actually find some laptop cards for upgrading?  Seeing the lack of ability with your own eyes may help.

Edited by Rydian

Games already start requiring 2gb.

If you want to future-proof yourself, go higher.

I ordered a new rig few days ago, and while initially aiming for a 3gb R9 280x, i went for a 4gb R9 290 (windforce) instead.

Newer tech, more power. Worth the extra money.

PS

You might want to upgrade your cpu too, depending on how old it is.

It's really hard to give correct pc upgrade advice without knowing your specs, and since (no offense) you don't know how to replace a gpu, your decision of buying a new one may not be the best choice about what to replace

Edited by Shifted

And that is what I am referencing as the dedicated card.  If that came back as a different physical model, then chances are your mac was swapped for a different one and had the profile transferred (OSX's UNIX design can make this process surprisingly-easy from what I've seen).

An upgrade to the version I have before, not a totally different one. 

That statement of yours assumes that these things are swappable separate cards like desktops use and that laptops have spare slots for cards like desktops do.  It's usually not that way.

You could swap out the motherboard, and thus also swap out the graphics card in there. So, yes, you still can upgrade laptop graphics, but it would be far more riskier. 

The idea that laptop graphics can be upgraded like desktops is one of the most common misconceptions I see.  People assume it must be so because it is this way with desktops.

I am not saying that point. And yes, you can still upgrade laptop graphics, but not how it is done with desktops and such (and I have done it on one occasion with a desktop). 

Why don't you do what I said earlier and try to actually find some laptop cards for upgrading?  Seeing the lack of ability with your own eyes may help.

Would eBay count? Because there are quite a few laptop graphics cards for sale, and they can be used for upgrading a few other laptops (but some of them might need a replacement of the motherboard, but that is beside the point). 

The memory value on cards is "VRAM".  It's space for holding models, textures, and other things like that.  The difference between 2GB and 3GB on the same card is negligible for normal gaming practices nowadays, it'd only come into play with ultra-HD resolutions, triple-monitor gaming, things like that.

There's a lot more to cards than just the VRAM, it's entirely possible for a 1GB VRAM card to kick the butt of a 2GB one.  Could you tell us some actual model numbers involved here, like what your current setup is and what you're looking at?

give me a few minutes to get my setup and all my information :)

edit :  

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

not sure how to find out my powersupply without taking my case off and its to late for that if you need any other specs lemme know
Edited by Grim_Shadow

Misunderstanding corrected.

An upgrade to the version I have before, not a totally different one.

... details?  Upgrade from what to what, how?

You could swap out the motherboard, and thus also swap out the graphics card in there. So, yes, you still can upgrade laptop graphics, but it would be far more riskier. 

Considering how much is integrated onto the motherboard nowadays, that'd be more akin to getting a whole new machine inside the same chassis, not just upgrading the GPU.

Would eBay count? Because there are quite a few laptop graphics cards for sale, and they can be used for upgrading a few other laptops (but some of them might need a replacement of the motherboard, but that is beside the point). 

Ebay would count... if the parts are for upgrade and you can show me what can be upgraded with what.  Catch a video tutorial of the process or something, swapping out to a higher-end model?  That'd be a sight to see.

And if the motherboard is swapped out, that's pretty much a new computer when dealing with laptops...

Edited by Rydian

Are you confusing system RAM with VRAM?

No I'm not.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650

Check the specs.

And yeah, I tested it.

Didn't work on my 1gb gpu

BTW, can you please stop derailing the thread with that laptop BS? would be nice. Thanks.

Ontopic:

With a budget of $250 the best thing I'm looking at is a sapphire 280x. I would suggest adding $10 for a 290.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003622sr

and your CPU is definitely good.

The only issue is the PSU, make sure it's at least 600W.

Edited by Shifted

give me a few minutes to get my setup and all my information :)

edit :  

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

not sure how to find out my powersupply without taking my case off and its to late for that if you need any other specs lemme know

GPU-Z is a great little utility that will tell you everything about your graphics card

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You card is probably a 7770 which isn't a bad card but it is getting old.

Power supply is pretty important.  Some of the newer card can pull a lot of juice and some graphics cards need multiple 6 or 8 pin connectors that you may not have.

$100 isn't going to get you much of an upgrade.

$250 should get you something pretty decent.

You can get something like a R9 280X that should last you for a few years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125726

Or save up some more a get one of the new GTX 970 cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685

It also depends on what resolution you are going to be playing at.  If you are at 1920x1080 a "lower" card will do fine.  If you are going to explore 1440P or 4K gaming you'll need a monster card (or two!).

No I'm not.

Check the specs.

And yeah, I tested it.

BTW, can you please stop derailing the thread with that laptop BS? would be nice. Thanks.

Ontopic:

With a budget of $250 the best thing I'm looking at is a sapphire 280x. I would suggest adding $10 for a 290.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003622sr

and your CPU is definitely good.

The only issue is the PSU, make sure it's at least 600W.

im PRETTY sure i have atleast a 600 w... its pretty damn big ill check it out in the morning :) thanks for the info!

GPU-Z is a great little utility that will tell you everything about your graphics card

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You card is probably a 7770 which isn't a bad card but it is getting old.

Power supply is pretty important.  Some of the newer card can pull a lot of juice and some graphics cards need multiple 6 or 8 pin connectors that you may not have.

$100 isn't going to get you much of an upgrade.

$250 should get you something pretty decent.

You can get something like a R9 280X that should last you for a few years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125726

Or save up some more a get one of the new GTX 970 cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685

It also depends on what resolution you are going to be playing at.  If you are at 1920x1080 a "lower" card will do fine.  If you are going to explore 1440P or 4K gaming you'll need a monster card (or two!).

i mainly play on 1080p as i dont have a massive monitor or even one that supports anything higher then 1080p!

... details?  Upgrade from what to what, how?

Just upgraded to AMD Raedon HD 6750M, from AMD Raedon HD 6490M. 

Just a very minor one for getting the best out of Final Cut Pro 7. 

Considering how much is integrated onto the motherboard nowadays, that'd be more akin to getting a whole new machine inside the same chassis, not just upgrading the GPU.

I think I would say there are laptops that allow swapping/upgrading of graphics cards, with some laptops starting to use MXM (i.e.: Laptops that allow swapping of graphics card more freely) (although as for its performance, I think I would need to test it out a bit, but from the looks of it, it would be similar to integrated graphics). 

just double checked decided to i do have a 600w power supply that is enough right?

should be, but barely.

GPU is up to 300W. CPU is 88W, add HDD, SSD, optical and whatever.. It will pile up.

Edited by Shifted

should be, but barely.

GPU is up to 300W. CPU is 88W, add HDD, SSD, optical and whatever.. It will pile up.

alright thanks for the info :)

edit : if it really comes down to it i guess i could also upgrade my power supply if its not to expensive

Edited by Grim_Shadow

No I'm not.

Check the specs.

And yeah, I tested it.

Ah damn, yeah that's a good case, I retract my statement since OP's going to be slotting this into a rig with a decent CPU as well so future-proofing is a concern, will go edit my post accordingly.

Sorry that this annoys you, but, I don't let people spread bs info, especially when others might actually make purchasing decisions based on that info.

I work in computers for a living and I am sick to effing death of people getting cheap laptops with the expectation that they can upgrade the GPU later, and it's because of posts like in this thread that it happens.  It's a waste of precious time and money because somebody decided to try to talk big about something they've never done.

Just upgraded to AMD Raedon HD 6750M, from AMD Raedon HD 6490M.

And how, exactly, was this done?  You sent one model in and they sent another model back.

I think I would say there are laptops that allow swapping/upgrading of graphics cards, with some laptops starting to use MXM (i.e.: Laptops that allow swapping of graphics card more freely) (although as for its performance, I think I would need to test it out a bit, but from the looks of it, it would be similar to integrated graphics). 

Last I checked MXM was a signaling standard and not a full form-factor standard.  Not to mention that the connector is not the main issue for laptops, it's space and fitting.

Show me a laptop with upgradeable graphics and some upgrade cards that fit that model, or quit it, I'm getting tired of this.

alright thanks for the info :)

edit : if it really comes down to it i guess i could also upgrade my power supply if its not to expensive

A decent 700-750W 80+Gold is going to be around the $110-$140 range ordering online (barring special deals).  A 650W of the same could be in the $95-$110 range.

And how, exactly, was this done?  You sent one model in and they sent another model back.

The motherboard was almost the same, but with a few very minor differences in circuitry (which can already be assumed to be the same). 

Last I checked MXM was a signaling standard and not a full form-factor standard.  Not to mention that the connector is not the main issue for laptops, it's space and fitting.

Show me a laptop with upgradeable graphics and some upgrade cards that fit that model, or quit it, I'm getting tired of this.

In which you can swap out graphics cards with MXM more easily. 

And see Elitebook (HP) (8570w, for instance) for swapping out graphics cards. Sure, it is limited in what you can upgrade it with (very limited indeed), but you can still upgrade it, and thus showed you that laptops can have graphics cards upgraded if need be.