Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Snipers Worth Using.

Pie4man

Personally, I'd never go near Vectis if it had an autolock.

But I would love if snipers got a scaling thunderbolt, honestly thunderbolt would've been nicer on snipers than bows in the first place, in my opinion. Vectis is certainly slower than bows, even if that wouldn't be case for all snipers.

But yeah it'd have to be scaling.

Maybe Vectis could highlight weakspots while scoped though? Lit up a bit or something. It'd make spotting the EXACT spot a bit nicer on things like infested or whatever, while not just being a boring Mesa ult.

I mean lighting up would be kinda ehh but it's not like Vectis really needs something extra too bad, besides the fact it's slow for killing off tons of enemies in a many enemy game, it's pretty good.

Oh, and as someone who uses snipers and bows a lot, I would HATE having an autolock. The whole enjoyment of using a sniper rifle is the rush of making a difficult shot. You don't get that if your rifle has a built-in aimbot.

I understand that which is why I suggest we make the abilities toggable.

Wait, am I missing something? Vectis is one of my favorite weapons for high level missions. A auto-locking mechanism would completely ruin that weapon for me. Also, if they make an auto locking mechanic they'll have to rebalance the damage to be worse.

Edited by ceefa

"auto-lock" was probably a too broad way to put it, what I mean is that at long range your mouse-movement (however little it is) makes too big jumps to aim. You can a) wait until the target passes the dot or just try and hope you got it. It was not meant to not need any aiming skill - it was meant to compensate for mouse movement beyond your control. - However: That something like that could easily "lock" on the wrong target is something I did not consider. A possible solution would be; if you hold your mouse button down you start the lock-process (again; only as long as you are moving the mouse yourself and to compensate for annoying jumps). Those who don't need/want it just don't hold the button - and those who constantly decide to wait too long until the target is out of sight have a penalty of shooting and having to wait until it's done reloading. Though: if you could easily zoom further in (again probably just by holding down the lmb) it would be possible to move your mouse with enough accuracy again to actually track a faraway enemy yourself. 

Maybe Vectis could highlight weakspots while scoped though? Lit up a bit or something. It'd make spotting the EXACT spot a bit nicer on things like infested or whatever, while not just being a boring Mesa ult.

Only problem is then banshees sonar would be useless

Only problem is then banshees sonar would be useless

Not true. Sonar creates (effectively) new weakspots that take a huge damage multiplier if hit. Just highlighting the head for snipers and only getting the extra head damage wouldn't be an issue and in fact if sonar was cast it would be with your while to target the sonared areas more than the head.

"auto-lock" was probably a too broad way to put it, what I mean is that at long range your mouse-movement (however little it is) makes too big jumps to aim. You can a) wait until the target passes the dot or just try and hope you got it. It was not meant to not need any aiming skill - it was meant to compensate for mouse movement beyond your control. - However: That something like that could easily "lock" on the wrong target is something I did not consider. A possible solution would be; if you hold your mouse button down you start the lock-process (again; only as long as you are moving the mouse yourself and to compensate for annoying jumps). Those who don't need/want it just don't hold the button - and those who constantly decide to wait too long until the target is out of sight have a penalty of shooting and having to wait until it's done reloading. Though: if you could easily zoom further in (again probably just by holding down the lmb) it would be possible to move your mouse with enough accuracy again to actually track a faraway enemy yourself.

I understand where your coming from with that but the whole idea would be very heavy to script and would end up upsetting more people than not.

And thats why this is in the fan concepts area and not in the feedback area xD - Correct me if I'm mistaken but to me the feedback area is like the "We need something fixed now and go about it in a realistic manner" (There I would go for an optional extra zoom - but fact is: I don't think Snipers need to be fixed right now. They are pretty okay at least at midrange and with the current maps that's enough most of the time) and the fan concepts area is like "Man, that's something that can be improved. - Now at it with everything we got no matter how impossible to realize it seems atm"

And thats why this is in the fan concepts area and not in the feedback area xD - Correct me if I'm mistaken but to me the feedback area is like the "We need something fixed now and go about it in a realistic manner" (There I would go for an optional extra zoom - but fact is: I don't think Snipers need to be fixed right now. They are pretty okay at least at midrange and with the current maps that's enough most of the time) and the fan concepts area is like "Man, that's something that can be improved. - Now at it with everything we got no matter how impossible to realize it seems atm"

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that one. The majority of people don't use snipers just because they have nothing unique going for them.

I'm not talking about high level or something. - I'm talking about just messing around and having fun. Up to T4 the only point where my Vectis starts to disappoint is after ~45 min Surv / Def Wave ~40-50. Then again; I love to run Volt with Vectis so I just stack two more shields and then it's all okay again. - But again: I would take neither of them for a 1h+ surv. run. That's not what they're made for, in my opinion. 

But back to the original "how-to-improve"-Part. I distance myself from the Auto-lock idea. If it were to be implemented it would have to be similar to the lock-function of missiles in other games; you have your target not exactly in the crosshair, but in a certain area around the crosshair and after 2-3 Seconds it locks on to it, then you can fire. Would only work for single targets quite far away; Capture for example or  the one or another boss. But currently we do not really have maps to make it worth the hassle. - A little more optional zoom would improve pretty much all Snipers I guess.