Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orokin Reactors And Catalysts Pay To Win?

TerraLupus

In before someone says "It's not PVP so it can't be pay to win".

If you can't win against higher level bosses due to a lack of these, then it's pay to win.

You don't remotely need them  in order to beat high level bosses.  Maybe solo?  But if you're playing solo, you're just making things harder on yourself anyways.

It's fine.  I've gotten enough reactor and catalysts from '?' alerts to make a full set (2 reactors, 4 catalysts so far).  Buying more won't give me any advantage in a match, only more choice of what to go in with.

I don't understand this pay to win BS, you can get everything in game (except cosmetics & weapon/warframe slots) by playing. Rarity doesn't matter because you can pay with time spent playing. I'm glad this isn't exclusively a PLAY to win game like any subscription type MMO where you can only get somewhere if you can devote a full time job at it.

It means if I get frustrated at some annoying drop rate, I can pick up the item with my wallet instead of wasting a bunch of hours trying to beat the RNG. I think DE got a fair balance on the free to pay ratio. Maybe a better topic would be, can we make the potatoe alerts last longer?

BlueEden, on 02 May 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

I don't understand this pay to win BS, you can get everything in game (except cosmetics & weapon/warframe slots) by playing. Rarity doesn't matter because you can pay with time spent playing. I'm glad this isn't exclusively a PLAY to win game like any subscription type MMO where you can only get somewhere if you can devote a full time job at it.

It means if I get frustrated at some annoying drop rate, I can pick up the item with my wallet instead of wasting a bunch of hours trying to beat the RNG. I think DE got a fair balance on the free to pay ratio. Maybe a better topic would be, can we make the potatoe alerts last longer?

A few days ago,a catalyst alert last for 7-8 hours. So...it's totally random. The RNG decides all the alerts

You can defeat high level bosses without Orokin Chargers just fine. Argument is moot.

There is no one you are winning against. Arguement is moot.

It#s more convenient to get these things from the shop than to wait for an alert. Convenience.

/thread.

Missed the alert too I suppose? I they're fine the way they are.

I use an un-catalyzed Grakata and while it's not as OP as a potatoed one, I still kick some &#! on Pluto.

You just have to run around for ammo a lot to compensate for it's "vroom"

Hmm, most mods that involve damage can be slotted with unpotatoed weapon and make catalyst largely unneccessary. I don't consider putting catalyst into something I don't like to use.

We have topics that want

1. Free slot

2. Free color/cosmetic

3. Free reactor/catalyst blueprints

Perhaps it's time to choose which one we really want to be free.

Hmm, most mods that involve damage can be slotted with unpotatoed weapon and make catalyst largely unneccessary. I don't consider putting catalyst into something I don't like to use.

We have topics that want

1. Free slot

2. Free color/cosmetic

3. Free reactor/catalyst blueprints

Perhaps it's time to choose which one we really want to be free.

Maybe none of them free, and except color/cosmetic make everything else acquirable in game if you play enough time/grind enough time (10 hours for a bp or a slot)? 

I love how "pay to play more sooner" now means "pay to win" ... especially IN A PVE GAME

NEWSFLASH: If I win, that means you do to ... because, you know, we're kinda on the same team.

You're complaint isn't that you have to pay for potatoes, rather that you can't have more of them for free .. and right nao!

Entitlement 101. CMAR

Can't stand the disturbing trend of people that demonize the idea of financially supporting the game they are playing. These people always seem to want the devs to only charge money for things they don't want.

You can defeat high level bosses without Orokin Chargers just fine. Argument is moot.

There is no one you are winning against. Arguement is moot.

It#s more convenient to get these things from the shop than to wait for an alert. Convenience.

/thread.

These, all the way.

It really does seem like we just got a huge influx of people who want instant gratification while also not wanting to pay for it. I've said it a thousand times before: DE is here not to just give us an awesome game, but to also gain a profit from it. And yet, people that DO know this seem to think it's a bad thing. I swear, the entitlement in this community lately is ridiculous...

I'd also like to point out that almost everyone who agreed wholeheartedly with the OP are days or weeks old on this forum. Hell the OP's account was created -today-. Yes I know, that doesn't always mean anything, but...Just something to keep in mind.

Edited by SoulEchelon

catalysts are so dirt cheap on the market as well.. why complain? You started with 50 plat for hells sake you can buy a few right there... but all in all you dont need them the whole paying on the market thing only makes it so you can get content sooner and save time thats all it is. I dont see how this is pay to win at all, I myself have bought alot of platinum only to save alot of time due to the fact I cannot play as much as I was able to before due to work loads, etc. irl alot of other people do that for the same reason in no way is this a pay to win game its only a pay to save time game even then I must say the stuff can be rather easy to get for example look at how expensive the boltor is for plat, but look how easy it is to craft. You just farm a few defense missions for awhile maybe half a day or a day and bam you got it. All in all it sounds like red herrings to hide the fact that you want it all free and handed to you. Just like in life if you want something you gotta work for it, put the effort for it, and lastly never give up.

Edited by Klaww

I've played for a long time now and i've played a lot. the game says 105 hours spent on playing missions only (this excludes my time in the menus.)

so this tells you i've played at least for a couple of weeks right?

I've had 2 Orokin Catalysts and 0 Orokin Reactor alerts that i played in all this time.

Something must be done, i don't care what... potatoes buyable for credits, potato blueprints farmable on a boss (that idea is pretty good actually), potatoes removed (everything supercharged by default) anything, i don't care what!! just do something about this. not for me but for the other people who haven't spent 50$ on the game and have 400 plats to spend as they choose (most of that will probably go for potatoes and weapon slots.)

I have yet to hear a credible argument on how its a bad system at the moment.. Also supercharge which is a nickname we give throwing a catalyst in basically just makes it OP so its more of a bonus to your weapon than anything not a "need".

I've played for a long time now and i've played a lot. the game says 105 hours spent on playing missions only (this excludes my time in the menus.)

so this tells you i've played at least for a couple of weeks right?

I've had 2 Orokin Catalysts and 0 Orokin Reactor alerts that i played in all this time.

Very odd. I've been playing since early Feb and I currently have 3 orokin catalysts and 3 orokin reactor blueprints chilling in my Foundry...and I JUST crafted three catalysts (Grakata, Ether Blades, Glaive) and two reactors (Frost and Volt). And no, I don't actually play Warframe that much.

Sounds like either you're lying, or just have bad timing.

Edited by SoulEchelon

I dont doubt hes lying I just think hes butthurt and wants everything handed to him, it still doesn't change the fact if you have bad luck you start off with 50 plat more than enough catalysts really after you get comfortable with a gun enough to drop a potato in.

it's not "pay to win even more", because you don't need to spend anything to get catalysys, or reators.

I meant, if somebody wants to call it "pay to win" its just wrong. If you can play the game, you win all the time. You can only "pay to win even more" and even that is wrong in a way.  If you want we could call it "pay, wait, get lucky or use stuff you get at the beginning of the game, to win even more".

I dont understand these online communitys anymore. There are games like SWTOR, wich are free to play but have restrictions to gear and other stuff, wich you can only take away by paying. ONLY is the important word here. When you have a chance to unlock every single thing you can buy with money trough ingame means it is NOT "pay to win". It might take longer but everybody gets the same stuff. You cannot buy something that puts you above people that dont pay. THIS IS IMPORTANT. As soon, as thats implemented, a free to play game has a good payment model.

But even for these games like SWTOR: It was a full price title + monthly subscription before. Now you can play 90% of the game for free. and unlock the rest for maybe 20 bucks. Thas still way better than 50 $ + 15$ monthly. You have to consider that.

Regardless, saying warframe is "pay to win" is just plain silly. Imagine there was PVP in the game. I have an overcharged frame, and an overcharged weapon without spending money. There is no amount of money you could Pay to win aginst me (it would only be skillbased). The only way it would work is, if you give me your money and i decide to let you win ;-)

I think catalysts and reactors should be removed from the game. Make things harder for all of us, encourage teamplay and communication between players. Not watching one guy go ahead and slaughter everything "Which I do sometimes" because he is overcharged and his warframe and weapons are crammed with all sorts of mods.

I think catalysts and reactors should be removed from the game. Make things harder for all of us, encourage teamplay and communication between players. Not watching one guy go ahead and slaughter everything "Which I do sometimes" because he is overcharged and his warframe and weapons are crammed with all sorts of mods.

Try playing at higher levels, this is not the case. Plus they are going to release tougher content.

Very odd. I've been playing since early Feb and I currently have 3 orokin catalysts and 3 orokin reactor blueprints chilling in my Foundry...and I JUST crafted three catalysts (Grakata, Ether Blades, Glaive) and two reactors (Frost and Volt). And no, I don't actually play Warframe that much.

Sounds like either you're lying, or just have bad timing.

Check the alerts.  When was the last time an Orokin blueprint was offered?