Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sleep Paralysis.

Snydrex

FOR ALL OF YOU WITH NIGHTMARES, BE GLAD YOU'RE NOT ME.

Sleep paralysis is theoretically caused by stress/ sleeping in a bad position. No one really knows, but this is how it supposedly happens:

I don't know the fancy anatomy, but there are three parts of your brain that contribute to sleep. One keeps you from moving while sleeping, another that keeps you from waking up, and the other produces vivid REM, causing dreams.

One sometimes fails. It can be a genetic thing, or just be caused by irregular sleeping patterns. If the part of your brain that keeps you from moving fails, we all know what sleepwalking is. Now, you know what causes it.

However, if the one keeping you from waking fails, you will awaken, but because the part of your brain keeping you from moving is still active, you won't be able to move.

This is where the freaky sh*t begins to happen.

Your brain still believes you are asleep, so it keeps dreaming, even when you are awake. So, you'll still be experiencing visions, despite you being awake.

This means that something could be happening to you in your dream, but you would be incapable of doing anything about it. You will be able to see your sleeping area, clear as reality. But no one else will be seeing your visions. To them, It looks like you're still asleep.

People have often described being strangled alongside their sleeping, or even awake spouses, creatures crawling toward them while they couldn't move; Dark, twisted beings sitting on their chest..

And every vision will be remembered by you when you wake up in a cold sweat, unlike dreams.

Even more bizzarely, people seem to describe the same visions alongside more then one SP's. The same, recurring monsters/phantoms again and again.

Some even describe the same one in completely different persons. And every time, every person who has encountered it has described a feeling of impending doom.

Accounts of this condition have been recorded as early as the medieval ages and the renaissance.

John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

And perhaps the scariest part is, pet owners will see their dogs and cats barking and hissing at the monster in their SP....

My experiences with sleep Paralysis:

- Eyes opened, I saw myself smiling at me.

- Fell asleep on the plane, opened eyes to see that everyone in the plane was ignoring what looked like a gurgling, skinless dog walking down the aisle.

- In college, woke up in bed to see my roommate sitting up in bed, staring directly at me. His eyes were glowing.

- When I was younger, I would wake to see my caretaker ignoring a hideous, stunted monkeylike creature limping onto my bed.

I've had more, and worse, but have any of you?

Sleep is for the weak/casuals

In all seriousness, I haven't experienced sleep paralysis, though awhile back while rather sick I had some pretty strange hallucinations while half asleep.

More than anything they were strange, but at the time for some reason I found them pretty horrific

Some recurring SPs I have are as follows:

- My best friend walks up to me, her eyes are glowing bright white, she is holding what is usually a large knife. I get stabbed, every time.

- An octopus/man thing stares at me eerily from the hallway, never entering my room.

- Good 'ol Stalky Stalks sitting in a throne of skulls near me, sharpening his Hate.

- An eyeless version of me is sitting on my chest, crying. There are no tears.

These are the tamest SPs that I get, or have ever had. The others are far too graphic to detail here, on the forums.

I do, accompanied by twisting shadows on the walls and an intense burning sensation through my whole body whenever I close my eyes until it wears off or I fall back asleep. I also used to wake up face down in my pillow, which meant that I really couldn't breath, and I also couldn't roll over to allow for air. 

Edit- Once, through sheer force of will, I was able to break the paralysis, which A, made me feel like a total badass, and B, did not in fact wake up the REM centers of the brain.

Edited by Vattira

The weirdest thing I have ever experienced in relation to sleep is False Awakening. Not just a single one, but a double one, which I strangely enough remember clearly. I woke up once to get ready for the day, to wake up again to get ready for the day, to waking up a third time wonder "what in the actual Vay Hek?". Well, didn't really say Vay Hek, but we can't really make poo poo words here. 

Other than that, the worst I've experienced is waking up with both yer arms asleep since I had been lying atop of them both, and then the damn waking clock goes off... I swear I damaged by hearing before I managed to get up as I literally couldn't get up normally at all. Couldn't even roll out of bed since my arms prevented me.

Edit- Once, through sheer force of will, I was able to break the paralysis, which A, made me feel like a total badass, and B, did not in fact wake up the REM centers of the brain.

It's possible. People have done it... but I still have yet to.

No sleep paralysis, no. Except for one time (in the final spoiler)

But I have this special thing caused by anxiety and stress that makes me dream about things I should be doing or that I will do.

The problem with that, however, is that they repeat in an endless loop and it becomes a torture when everything you do fails.

Even this night I had that happen to me, although yesterday was remarkably an excellent day. In the dream everything changed and turned, basically the opposite of what I have lived... With both real and unreal consequences...

Friends turning against me and never willing to talk to me again
College going incredibly bad taking my hopes for a career
Being diagnosed with a terminal disease granting me a slow and painfull death countless times before I wake up.

And then the supernatural flavor that everyone is looking for...

Being almost immobile (because technically you cant go far while laying in a bed with blankets on top of you) but having to walk and run, for some reason in my dreams I feel stuck because of being on my bed, and not free as people usually do.
While slowly walking and having things falling apart, having random creatures appear to turn things a bit worse.
Hear my own breath, which sounds like those of Regenerators from Resident Evil 4, among other things...

It doesn't sound that bad, and it really isn't as bad as sleep paralysis, but I can tell it's not easy either.
Having to live over and over your own nightmares every night, with different paths and actions taken to avoid a bad outcome, but still having everything fall apart is really wearing, think of those cliche movies where the guy has to save someone from dying over and over. but everytime they die in a diffent way.

Edit: Seems like I have a similar experience from Aeiroth

The weirdest thing I have ever experienced in relation to sleep is False Awakening. Not just a single one, but a double one, which I strangely enough remember clearly. I woke up once to get ready for the day, to wake up again to get ready for the day, to waking up a third time wonder "what in the actual Vay Hek?". Well, didn't really say Vay Hek, but we can't really make poo poo words here. 

Now for my only sleep paralysis experience.

Once I was regularly sleeping and woke up (or so I thought) to a noise in my room, I felt something passing by really quickly, even felt some wind. But I couldn't turn back to look at it, so I tried to ignore it and came back to sleep.

I woke up once again, this time I was already facing the other direction, and felt it again. I opened my eyes and seen a black skinny creature with glowing eyes pass by so quick that it was distorted like if it was wind. Running from my door to my window while looking at me. I couldn't move and i just kept on looking. It touched the window and opened it. My window does a hell of a noise to open, so I probably "woke up" because of that, but not before the creature vanished and passed through the opened window desintegrating itself and letting the wind carry him. At the same moment, out of nowhere, my grandmother appeared where the creature was, with a candle on her hand, asking if I was ok. I was already awake at this point and turns out she was just coming to do a prayer or whatever in my room because of the heavy and windy rain we were having...

Edited by Slaytanic93

I only had such "dream" once, lying in the pit with snakes unable to move, at first struggling made me realise that i was too weak to break free, seeing snakes getting closer anger kicked in and i broke free thus woke up.

Needed few moments to collect myself afterwards, odd thing is i don't have any phobias regarding pits or snakes, i do tend to have anger issues though.

Edited by Morgax

It's hard to even move a finger. I tried as hard as I could a few times, but it felt like I was drugged or something. Technically, I was.

It was one of the times where I was face down and couldn't breath. I guess the adrenaline kicked in, because I was able to use my arms to lift the whole of my upper body.

I remember one very vivid "daymare".

I had fallen asleep on a park bench that was directly in the center of said park. I "woke" to see something that was very slowly shuffling into the park.

I don't know what it was exactly: I remember it being like a thick fog you could barely see through, but something was walking my way erratically, like a puppet on strings.

The worst part was that nothing happened. They were always shifting around and just about to enter the park, but never really advanced. Either way, it was terrifying.

I done that myself too, breaking from the sleep paralysis. The trick i do is to use some specific muscles in your body to vibrate your body back and forth and in time, you can break it. I dont know the name for the musckles, but they are located around lower and upper body from what i felt.

I woke up with Sleep Paralysis once. I was so scared. My heart was racing way too fast. I could not move, speak or anything. 

This was back when I was sharing a room with my brother. It felt like someone was choking me, even though there wasn't. I tried calling out for help, but couldn't even get a whisper out of my mouth. It was freaking awful.

My best advice to anyone who experiences it is to keep your eyes shut and breathe calmly as you can. Your body is apparently still sleeping because you woke up before your brain told you to, and thus are in real danger of seeing scary things from dreams in your room. That's all it would take to have a heart attack.

Edited by Tymerc

is stress the casue for SP to be scarry stuff? as in, most storys of SP is always some scary shadow figure, why can't it be something like . . . fancy thing (Serious question)

SP commonly results in nightmarish visions. However, there are also less scary "happy" SPs, but those are few and far in between.