Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tipedo.

(PSN)theelix

What's the difference between glue and tape? They're used differently.

Granted, real-world differences don't translate well into video games, especially when you can arbitrarily make the rules/physics, but I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind staves and polearms being different classes in this game.

Orthos is weird because its used like a staff. It should be a staff.

Edited by DarkTails

What's the difference between glue and tape? They're used differently.

Granted, real-world differences don't translate well into video games, especially when you can arbitrarily make the rules/physics, but I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind staves and polearms being different classes in this game.

Orthos is weird because its used like a staff, but also a polearm because of the length i guess.

But I would assume you'd use the Tipedo like a Pole arm considering it has a blade on each side and nearly as much reach. 

*shrugs* I dunno. Just curious at this point. 

Tipedo is physically built that you could probably use it like a polearm, but it's a staff in this game.

It doesn't really matter what weapons are classified as as long as they're fun to use. Trying to use real-world examples to explain things in an imaginary world just makes everyone argue over what does and doesn't make sense.

Tipedo is physically built that you could probably use it like a polearm, but it's a staff in this game.

It doesn't really matter what weapons are classified as as long as they're fun to use. Trying to use real-world examples to explain things in an imaginary world just makes everyone argue over what does and doesn't make sense.

I beg differ. The argument about polearm and staff is fair regarding the physical appearance or makeup. True, that you can't really always use real-world examples to compare with in-game world. However, it does help with some level of immersion and believability.

Most of us can accept fireball shooting out from your hand..., Nova's powers, e.g., and we can even explain how can light at a molecular level travels thru some solid materials. But to have a sword's slashing with an effect and impact of a mallet's pummelling require more than just some imagination.

Because it's supposed to be a spear, but the devs realize they didnt have a "spear" stance (stabbing, thrusting attacks) at the last moment and shoved it into the staff category in order to differentiate it from other polearms.

Uhhh... 

This looks a lot more like how you'd use a spear than the staff category. I hope that's not what DE did, because then I'd have to question if we're playing the same game. 

Uhhh... 

This looks a lot more like how you'd use a spear than the staff category. I hope that's not what DE did, because then I'd have to question if we're playing the same game. 

It's still not spear-y enough though, which is why I presume the devs put it into the staff category just for the sake of difference. Most of the attacks are very spinny and slashy, which is not what people normally think of when it comes to using a spear in combat (think Roman Legionnaire).

It's still not spear-y enough though, which is why I presume the devs put it into the staff category just for the sake of difference. Most of the attacks are very spinny and slashy, which is not what people normally think of when it comes to using a spear in combat (think Roman Legionnaire).

Actually, according to MOST sources, anything with a pole is a polearm. So spear, pike, staff, Monk's Spade, pollaxe, bill/halberd/naginata... All of these are polearms. Staff is sometimes considered one and sometimes not since it has no cutting surface.

Most spear combat involves quick stabs instead of the flashy spins. One reason that spearmen were so easy to train, hence their popularity in the ancient world. Add to that, reach as well as far lower cost cost. 1 sword or 5 spears... Decisions, decisions...

I have practiced both spear and staff. The Warframe versions are very much 'staff' no matter how the models look. I can HOPE for a proper stabbing spear with a proper animation at some point.

Edited by Kalenath

The Tipedo is based on the Monk's Spade, a staff with a shovel shaped blade on one end, used for combat and digging graves while traveling, and a crescent blade on the other end used for parrying an attack. Obviously those aspects won't translate well with the stances we currently have, but the Tipedo fits more as a staff than a polearm.