Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Star Citizen Has Crossed 73 Million Dollars In Funding [News]

TheErebus.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-crosses-73-million-in-funding/1100-6425451/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-passes-70-million/1100-6424866/

So apparently this space simulator has passed about 73 million dollars in funding thanks to crowd-sourcing. My question to you guy is that do you think the game will live up to the promises it keeps giving us or will it flop?

Also, can anyone explain to me what the game actually is?
I get conflicting statements saying it's an MMO and some saying it's like half an MMO.

ITS A SPACE-SIM !!!!

That´s just an own Genre . 

I think it can´t possibly flop , they make huge amounts of money and Chris Roberts is behind it . If it should fail somehow or they get into some financial crisis , they could just go to the big publishers and ask for money for finishing . 

But its hard to believe that they will get the game ready in time , because since the kickstarter campaign they kept adding and adding things . 

Edited by Habba

it is an MMO, watch the trailers.

i'm going to give it a try. however i might not stick around if it's too much like EVE, or if it's subscription based.

Not a fan of trailers, a lot of times they ruin the first impressions I'm supposed to have on the game.

it is an MMO, watch the trailers.

i'm going to give it a try. however i might not stick around if it's too much like EVE, or if it's subscription based.

Well part of it is , part of it not . Squadron 42 is not . Well the online persistent Universe is . It is not Subscription based . Once paid you play . They will keep adding things when the game is fully released . It will have paid "DLC"s , where they keep adding new locations . 

i cant believe after 73mil its still a terribad game

elite dangerous.. meh

eve valkyrie at leasts gets your heat pumping

how come nobody can make a good space sim ? its just too hard it seems, maybe computers just arnt powerful enough yet maybe check back in 10 years

I sort of lost interest very early on when I saw some of the absurd "packages" to buy ships or the game in advance due to how wildly overpriced a lot of it was. Thanks, but I'd rather not have to spend several hundred dollars for a promise.

I'm worried that the developers have let the money go to their heads. Just look at some of the stretch goals. 

When the cheapest, likely worst ships are $45.00 USD... and some of the better ships are all over $400... that sends up red flags for me.

I'll wait until after it's released before I consider putting any money into it.

I sort of lost interest very early on when I saw some of the absurd "packages" to buy ships or the game in advance due to how wildly overpriced a lot of it was. Thanks, but I'd rather not have to spend several hundred dollars for a promise.

I'm worried that the developers have let the money go to their heads. Just look at some of the stretch goals. 

When the cheapest, likely worst ships are $45.00 USD... and some of the better ships are all over $400... that sends up red flags for me.

I'll wait until after it's released before I consider putting any money into it.

Really? You have to pay money to get the ships? I'd assumed you'd build your own and even customize it a little...

Really? You have to pay money to get the ships? I'd assumed you'd build your own and even customize it a little...

Well there are different Game-Packages , those include the game and a starter Ship . I am pretty sure the cheapest Game-Packages is 30$ . 

It´s not really buying , it´s more like funding , as the game isn´t released yet . But there is an alpha at the moment (or sorta) , where you can fly your ships . You can costumize or they want it to be possible , to costumize every bit off your ship and character . You can build / buy your own , with the money you make in game , when the game is released at the end of 2016 . Just wait for the release if you aren´t sure .

Well there are different Game-Packages , those include the game and a starter Ship . I am pretty sure the cheapest Game-Packages is 30$ . 

It´s not really buying , it´s more like funding , as the game isn´t released yet . But there is an alpha at the moment (or sorta) , where you can fly your ships . You can costumize or they want it to be possible , to costumize every bit off your ship and character . You can build / buy your own , with the money you make in game , when the game is released at the end of 2016 . Just wait for the release if you aren´t sure .

The cheapest is $30 but only includes access to the game when it's released. It doesn't allow access to the alpha or beta.

And with how expensive the packages are (I kid you not there's a $15,000 game package), I honestly wouldn't be surprised if people have to pay a significant sum of money in order to progress at all (players aren't going to be able to make much in-game money, if at all, with a personal transport ship, which is the lowest tier ship; even then it seems like you're out of luck if some souped up player decides to blast you to space dust, causing you to lose pretty much everything, including your ship).