Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Oberon Supposed To Be A Paladin Or A Druid?

Vanadium

So, we got this super-baller Oby statue coming to the relays:

395px-Warframe_Oberon_Relay_Statue.jpg

But it again brings up the confusing issue of what Oberon's theme is supposed to be.

Sure, all of his abilities have very Paladin-power sounding names, but visually and mechanically they're all pretty ambiguous. He could easily be called either a Paladin or a Druid (or Mag-that-heals or Trinity-v.Bad).

Aside from Hallowed Ground, all of his abilities are mechanical copypastas of other Warframes' abilities (Smite is a radiation fireball, Renewal is Blessing but slow, Reckoning is Crush that actually works).

And I get that he's supposed to be a Jack-of-all-Trades-Frame, like Pallys and Druids in most other games/universes. But I feel like he lacks a real uniqueness that the other Frames have.

So the question is...

Will Oberon forever be simply known as DeerFrame?

How so?

How so for which? For both?

Mechanically, he's a frame that just doesn't hold up well as enemy level gets higher at all. Even past lvl 30, you start to feel his usefulness falloff. The Smite Augment is probably the only thing that makes him useful, however there are 3-4 other frames that have the same augment. Smite itself just doesn't do enough in terms of CC and Damage. Hallowed ground isn't a snare (though the rad proc is nice for CC), so enemies can just walk right through, taking minimal damage. Renewal is like a blessing that doesn't arrive fast enough. By the time you need it (when your shields are going down in a burst or two from the baddies), you could be dead before the ability actually saves you, where Blessing is right there as long as the Trinity can press 4 in time. Finally, Reckoning, though very cool to watch, is just Crush, and Crush sucks.

Conceptually, every frame is something. They fulfill some archetype, role, or have some weird animal-totem thing going on. This makes them feel unique and fleshed out, like they had some place at some time in the Warframe lore. Even in the Devstream where the Devs intro'd Oberon, they're like "He's a druid, he's a paladin, we don't know, whatever". It really feels like they didn't give him any love at all when they threw him at us and that's a little sad. Even Vauban is at least Space-French.

Edited by Vanadium

Garbage is what he is not Paly or Druid. Honestly I was so excited when he came out and then my expectations were crushed.  :(

Have you tried him recently?

I took my Broberon for a spin yesterday and I'm having a lot of fun with him. Hell, I completed the tactical alert with him, using underleved Galatine and didn't go down once.

He's better than you might think.

As for the topic - I'd say he's more of a paladin. His appearance may be a bit misleading, but his powers definitely feel more "paladin like".

Of course that doesn't men he has to be a typical, generic paladin. 

Oberon uses lots of Radiation and has horns and hooves so he's obviously neither paladin nor druid but some kind of monsterous man-goat mutant hybrid.

Also between Smite and Renewal and Reckoning and occasionally Hallowed Ground he's actually a pretty good frame.

Aside from the hooves & horns - I don't get where the Druid reference comes from at all. In traditional RPG terms - he's a paladin - end of story - melee focused, area denial/enemy control, bit o'healing = Paladin.

That being said this game is just a fantasy/scifi %&$&@-fest in general, so I don't see why it matters.

PS - why is it always the damage when folks gripe about Hallowed Ground? The fact I'm not bleeding or blast stunned to death while its there is well worth the cast, the damage is just gravy.

If you think Oberon sucks then i have to ask, exactly what game are you playing? DeerJesus is one of the most versatile and useful frames in the game and he has more than earned a spot in a t4 squad and if you think otherwise then im sorry but you are simply a rookie. He can damage deal at low to mid levels with his 1 and 4 he can heal his allies (which only one other frame can do without augments, and he can CC whenever his damage does fall off with again both his 1 and 4, with reckoning being similar to a mini chaos with the added benefit of a radial blind thrown in. Oberon is an incredible frame and if you cannot see that then as the forum trolls would say, "git gud" 

I was hoping for an awesome paladin when he came out, but he turned out to be a disappointing druid.

It's just none of his powers are particularly good.

Usually paladins are more resilient, but Oberon fails as a tank, falling behind every frame that has come out since his release in that regard.

Edited by Holeypaladin