Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There's A New Macbook Being Released

TheErebus.

Hey, Scrub, I know a way more efficient power source than a battery, people call it... A Desktop, and it comes with something called a power cord... Isn't that amazing?? Laptops are nice for convenience, but really... Talking about battery life doesn't phase me unless it has to do with how crappy my i5's battery is.

I use an alienware laptop (because it's just more useful to me) and the battery life is horrid.

But woe is me, it doesn't have a "stable" keyboard, "pressure sensitive" touchpads and retina display. Apple save me! 

I use an alienware laptop (because it's just more useful to me) and the battery life is horrid.

But woe is me, it doesn't have a "stable" keyboard, "pressure sensitive" touchpads and retina display. Apple save me!

Wanna know how many USB ports the low-budget laptops have at my trade school class? Four. I'm using a mouse, while being plugged into a friggin' robot during programming, while charging my phone. While using my Flash Drive. All at the same time. One USB is pathetic.

In my eyes, apple products are just overpriced standard products.

I am entitled to my opinion.

That's not opinion, it's fact.

Apple's greedy. They even make you pay for customer service even if they can't help you. Don't you realize this? I'm sticking to my HP computer that plays games like a lord, thank you. I don't want a S#&$ty laptop for internet surfing that can barely even play Snake. No, not metal gear snake, I mean, squares eating squares Snake.

False. Apple doesn't make you pay for customer service. The number of support tickets for out-of warranty products might be limited, but they provide service to anyone. 

I can play games on my mac just fine. And when it comes to laptops the differences are more marginal. I will concede custom PC for hardcore gamers, but outside of that, there is less of an issue.

That entire first paragraph is overkill. You don't need any of that unless you're just some rich #$&(% that wants to sound high and mighty.

I and plenty of others would disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, but an innovative product that pushes the limits of industrial design, and aesthetics, packed with performance is a thin, lightweight, enclosure for a price that no one will be matching anytime soon is something I find attractive. I can't afford this right now, but I am seriously considering this new macbook. My Macbook Pro 13 inch is over 5 years old, and refuses to die. Need an excuse to upgrade.

Prove that statistic.

needham-140221-1.jpg

http://marketrealist.com/2014/10/consistent-mac-growth-helped-apple-gain-share-pc-market/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-second-best-seller-mac-1414428004

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apples-mac-stomps-pc-industry-with-18.9-growth-and-7.1-global-share

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/analysts-say-apple-saw-double-digit-us-pc-unit-sales-growth-in-holiday-quarter/

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25372415

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-apple-took-over-the-only-segment-of-the-pc-market-that-still-matters/

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

All of those just show mac isn't anywhere near the level of gaining the money that PCs gain.

PCs are just better. They are more adaptable and far more cost-effective. If something breaks on my PC, I can just get it fixed for like what, 200$? 

MAc though, if one thing breaks, it's gonna be quite costly. I remember when there was a slight crack on the screen, it costed about 1500 DHS to fix. 

When my PC screen broke, it was about 850 DHS.

Edited by ScrublordPrime

False. Apple doesn't make you pay for customer service. The number of support tickets for out-of warranty products might be limited, but they provide service to anyone.

I can play games on my mac just fine. And when it comes to laptops the differences are more marginal. I will concede custom PC for hardcore gamers, but outside of that, there is less of an issue.

I and plenty of others would disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, but an innovative product that pushes the limits of industrial design, and aesthetics, packed with performance is a thin, lightweight, enclosure for a price that no one will be matching anytime soon is something I find attractive. I can't afford this right now, but I am seriously considering this new macbook. My Macbook Pro 13 inch is over 5 years old, and refuses to die. Need an excuse to upgrade.

http://marketrealist.com/2014/10/consistent-mac-growth-helped-apple-gain-share-pc-market/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-second-best-seller-mac-1414428004

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apples-mac-stomps-pc-industry-with-18.9-growth-and-7.1-global-share

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/analysts-say-apple-saw-double-digit-us-pc-unit-sales-growth-in-holiday-quarter/

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25372415

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-apple-took-over-the-only-segment-of-the-pc-market-that-still-matters/

One, yes, they do. I've had to pay for god damned customer support for a problem with my iTunes they couldn't freaking fix. Do you know how aggrivating that is?

Two, can it play actually straining, high-tier games like Crysis? Skyrim? All on max settings? I have yet to see that. Macs are made for business purposes. Not gaming. Games like Thief, Crysis, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, none of the games I play on my norm would /ever/ work on a mac.

Three, I've seen no difference with Retina display compared to anything else without. Yes, three is my opinion, and yes, I think that all those are just fancy terms to just sound more enticing, but the other two points aren't opinion.

Edited by WingedCrusade

All of those just show mac isn't anywhere near the level of gaining the money that PCs gain.

PCs are just better. They are more adaptable and far more cost-effective. If something breaks on my PC, I can just get it fixed for like what, 200$? 

MAc though, if one thing breaks, it's gonna be quite costly. I remember when there was a slight crack on the screen, it costed about 1500 DHS to fix. 

When my PC screen broke, it was about 850 DHS.

False Equivalency will equivocate fallacies. On average, Apple displays are of higher quality and therefore, repairs/replacements will cost more. On average prices are about the same for equivalent hardware. Most Apples are just targeted toward a higher end of the market.

One, yes, they do. I've had to pay for god damned customer support for a problem with my iTunes they couldn't freaking fix. Do you know how aggrivating that is?

Two, can it play actually straining, high-tier games like Crysis? Skyrim? All on max settings? I have yet to see that. Macs are made for business purposes. Not gaming. Games like Thief, Crysis, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, none of the games I play on my norm would /ever/ work on a mac.

Three, I've seen no difference with Retina display compared to anything else without. Yes, three is my opinion, and yes, I think that all those are just fancy terms to just sound more enticing, but the other two points aren't opinion.

1.Can't be sure of the details, but I worked for Apple for 5 years. In most cases, charges for support issues only are applied for non warrantied products.

2. Sure you can. Though, naturally, the tightly integrated product is often not as flexible as a custom PC. 

3.Retina Displays is an industry standard term. That you can't tell is not the industries problem.

False Equivalency will equivocate fallacies. On average, Apple displays are of higher quality and therefore, repairs/replacements will cost more. On average prices are about the same for equivalent hardware. Most Apples are just targeted toward a higher end of the market.

Higher end meaning more expensive? Like he said? You break a mac, you're either buying a new one, or spending that rainy day money to bring it in. A Desktop part breaks? Big deal. Buy a new one and you can replace it yourself with decent knowledge for much less money. I really doubt more people use Mac than PC. PC is so much more efficient for a lot more than Mac. Are there people that buy Mac and PC? Yes. More likely than not, that Mac will barely be touched. I know my uncle, and my cousin are both those people. Both own a mac, and only of them uses them /occasionally/, for Photoshop. Just. Photoshop. Edited by WingedCrusade

So what is the physical difference between normal screens and "high quality" retina display?

So what is the physical difference between normal screens and "high quality" retina display?

Man, don't you have google?

Yeah, cuz you gotta replace the whole thing.

False

Higher end meaning more expensive? Like he said? You break a mac, you're either buying a new one, or spending that rainy day money to bring it in. A Desktop part breaks? Big deal. Buy a new one and you can replace it yourself with decent knowledge for much less money. I really doubt more people use Mac than PC. PC is so much more efficient for a lot more than Mac. Are there people that buy Mac and PC? Yes. More likely than not, that Mac will barely be touched. I know my uncle, and my cousin are both those people. Both own a mac, and only of them uses them /occasionally/, for Photoshop. Just. Photoshop.

Some times the modularity of a PC can be convenient. For me, and I dare say most people, including millions of PC user, it is not. 

1.Can't be sure of the details, but I worked for Apple for 5 years. In most cases, charges for support issues only are applied for non warrantied products.

2. Sure you can. Though, naturally, the tightly integrated product is often not as flexible as a custom PC. 

3.Retina Displays is an industry standard term. That you can't tell is not the industries problem.

One; Then tell these b*stards I want that money back!

2) I'd rather have a PC and the capability to maintain it myself which is far cheaper than to have to dole out massive amounts of money if a simple little thing on a tiny laptop breaks. People've made 500$ computers better than freakin' Alienware's 2k PCs for less. e.e

3) My eyes suck anyway, but even then, to me, it sounds like a fancy pointless term that means nothing, unless of course you're getting the new 3DS XL and won't have to stare the screen dead on anymore for the 3D to look good.

Higher end meaning more expensive? Like he said? You break a mac, you're either buying a new one, or spending that rainy day money to bring it in. A Desktop part breaks? Big deal. Buy a new one and you can replace it yourself with decent knowledge for much less money. I really doubt more people use Mac than PC. PC is so much more efficient for a lot more than Mac. Are there people that buy Mac and PC? Yes. More likely than not, that Mac will barely be touched. I know my uncle, and my cousin are both those people. Both own a mac, and only of them uses them /occasionally/, for Photoshop. Just. Photoshop.

I own both.

PC for gaming

Mac for everything else. 

It's just for internet and microsoft word. That's all I use it for.

False

Nope, this is true. My father had to deal with this multiple times. They could never just fix it, they always recommended and insisted on buying a new one.

We get it, you adore apple. But you're gonna be arguing against people who'd rather see it burn to the ground than to ever even touch it. To argue with us is to argue against a brick wall.

Man, don't you have google?

False

For the most part anyway. It's either that, or spend a ton to get the entire thing looked at. In all honesty, that part's never going to beat the PC's versatility, upgradeability, and interchangeability with parts. WAIT YOU WORK WITH APPLE, HOW DO WE KNOW YOU'RE NOT JUST DEFENDING YOUR OWN COMPANY?! ._.

Some times the modularity of a PC can be convenient. For me, and I dare say most people, including millions of PC user, it is not.

I own both.

PC for gaming

Mac for everything else.

Nope, this is true. My father had to deal with this multiple times. They could never just fix it, they always recommended and insisted on buying a new one.

We get it, you adore apple. But you're gonna be arguing against people who'd rather see it burn to the ground than to ever even touch it. To argue with us is to argue against a brick wall.

I've done that before. It hurt. Also, my prior quote melded inside the quote itself. DAMN THIS PHONE INTERNET! Ironically enough, it's an iPhone.

(No, I'm kidding. It's my fault. Forums are just clunky to use on phones in general.)

Edited by WingedCrusade

One; Then tell these b*stards I want that money back!

2) I'd rather have a PC and the capability to maintain it myself which is far cheaper than to have to dole out massive amounts of money if a simple little thing on a tiny laptop breaks. People've made 500$ computers better than freakin' Alienware's 2k PCs for less. e.e

3) My eyes suck anyway, but even then, to me, it sounds like a fancy pointless term that means nothing, unless of course you're getting the new 3DS XL and won't have to stare the screen dead on anymore for the 3D to look good.

I challenge you to provide an example of a PC that meats all the metrics of a macbook 15 inch pro hardware, and software and the same size, and weight. These qualities are worth it for many people. If that isn't for you fine, but calling Apple an inferior product or denigrating their users is garbage.

I own both.

PC for gaming

Mac for everything else. 

Nope, this is true. My father had to deal with this multiple times. They could never just fix it, they always recommended and insisted on buying a new one.

I know plenty of PC techs who have had to provide the same solution. Many of the PC's sold are not as modular as gamers buy. Most customers aren't interested in breaking into their machine either. Full replacements has been a bad trend in computer repair, one that is fortuanatly failing due to improvements in services across the industry.

I am not going to let myself get sucked into this...this...feud between what is better: PC or Mac anymore. *cough* PC *cough* (was that subtle enough)

I will leave it at "apple products are just overpriced standard products" as I stated earlier.

Good night.

I am not claiming that Apple is better for everyone, or that PC user are dumb as some people are this forum are insinuating or flat out stating Apple users are. I am salty. It is crap. I am a hardcore Warframe community member, and just because Warframe is a PC first game, doesn't make it ok to talk garbage about Apple, and go unchallenged as if this was a Microsoft fansite.

I know plenty of PC techs who have had to provide the same solution. Many of the PC's sold are not as modular as gamers buy. Most customers aren't interested in breaking into their machine either. Full replacements has been a bad trend in computer repair, one that is fortuanatly failing due to improvements in services across the industry.

I've rarely ever seen it with PC techs. Hell, the mac sections of the computer stores here in Dubai are notorious for wanting to sell you a new one as opposed to fix it. If you want to fix it, they give this weird stare (THis is not a joke, I wanted mine to be fixed and they gave a face that was like "Huh waht?"

Let's just end the discussion. It'll be XBox vs. Playstation levels of arguing soon enough

I challenge you to provide an example of a PC that meats all the metrics of a macbook 15 inch pro hardware, and software and the same size, and weight. These qualities are worth it for many people. If that isn't for you fine, but calling Apple an inferior product or denigrating their users is garbage.

I'm not calling Mac inferior. I'm calling it stupid. I'm a gamer. It means nothing to me for the uses I have a PC for. A mac's little components are fine and all but *what do they mean for /me?/* Tell me that, instead, please.

How often have you seen people bust into a mac themselves to repair it successfully or upgrade it? Can a Mac even be physically upgraded with parts? It's like just begging you to buy new ones regardless of what you do. Bad business model to me. It's just greedy, is what that is. Look, I really am *not* bashing you, but I'm saying all of what you're saying is useless to a lot of people...

And c'mon man, one USB? That's still ridiculously sad. No matter what the device is.

I've rarely ever seen it with PC techs. Hell, the mac sections of the computer stores here in Dubai are notorious for wanting to sell you a new one as opposed to fix it. If you want to fix it, they give this weird stare (THis is not a joke, I wanted mine to be fixed and they gave a face that was like "Huh waht?"

Let's just end the discussion. It'll be XBox vs. Playstation levels of arguing soon enough

Not my experience. If fact I personally sold computers to thousands of switchers, many of them had horror stories about PC's that they repaired and replaced to the breaking point. Hence the massive growth in the Mac sector. Though, to be honest the greatest growth is in mobile computers, and Apple desktops are still a marginal but continues driver.

I'm not calling Mac inferior. I'm calling it stupid. I'm a gamer. It means nothing to me for the uses I have a PC for. A mac's little components are fine and all but *what do they mean for /me?/* Tell me that, instead, please.

How often have you seen people bust into a mac themselves to repair it successfully or upgrade it? Can a Mac even be physically upgraded with parts? It's like just begging you to buy new ones regardless of what you do. Bad business model to me. It's just greedy, is what that is. Look, I really am *not* bashing you, but I'm saying all of what you're saying is useless to a lot of people...

And c'mon man, one USB? That's still ridiculously sad. No matter what the device is.

False equivalency. People buy Macs, typically, so they don't have too. And on average they don't. Statistically they last twice and long, performed for twice as long in a day, and even go to the grave better than PC's do. 

Not everyone has the same criteria for what a good PC is that you do. It doesn't make them stupid. I don't want to become a mechanic even though I could save considerable money on car maintenance and repair. 

And try actually ready up on the USB-C port. Even just the little paragraph blurb on it. It is a new industry standard that covers, USB3, Power, display port (that is High-Def video output) and some other crap, all in one. Bonus is is reversible.

Ew. That war. Blech. Personally, I have both. Both play cool games, and PS3 even has blu-ray for my 3D movies, (to compensate for the fact I only keep 10 games compared to my 65 for xbox.) I miss when nobody argued about all this techie sh*t and everyone just... Played. Games all around. Psssht... Not today though. AAA's going downhill. Xbox One and PS4 have maybe very little games running for them that I could still get on the past gens...

Not my experience. If fact I personally sold computers to thousands of switchers, many of them had horror stories about PC's that they repaired and replaced to the breaking point. Hence the massive growth in the Mac sector. Though, to be honest the greatest growth is in mobile computers, and Apple desktops are still a marginal but continues driver.

That's mobile, though. How many good laptops are out there that you know of that aren't gaming laptops? If you could pick between a desktop (I mean a *good* one, not just decent,) or a Mac, what would you pick? I'm being completely honest, I swear to you I won't try to hold anything against you, I legitimately want to know? Besides, PCs are just getting so much better, and those horror stories are probably because those people didn't know what they were doing. My grandfather even used to repair computers for a living, and they were simple housecalls with a new part in hand. Edited by WingedCrusade

Ew. That war. Blech. Personally, I have both. Both play cool games, and PS3 even has blu-ray for my 3D movies, (to compensate for the fact I only keep 10 games compared to my 65 for xbox.) I miss when nobody argued about all this techie sh*t and everyone just... Played. Games all around. Psssht... Not today though. AAA's going downhill. Xbox One and PS4 have maybe very little games running for them that I could still get on the past gens...

That never existed. Back when Nintendo and Sega dominated the gaming market, you'd have kids on playgrounds arguing about which one is better as opposed to internet users duking it out on online discussions.