The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Please Actually Aim?

MurderHoboDinosaur

Panthera and Quanta should have always been able to aim, without it its inaccurate as hell, and requires strafing or careful placement. At higher levels this gets you killed, or on the lowest bar for damage.

And for both of their secondaries(blade and cube) they too beenfi from aiming.

they just havent fixed the actual secondary fire button yet. when they do we will be able to aim. maybe we can get it in 2017?

From the response we got in the last massive thread over this topic, it sounded like the weapons were actually coded in such a way that their zoom is entirely replaced by whatever their alternate fire function is. As in, for most of these weapons, it has no zoom function associated with the weapon, because that function does its alternate fire instead. Which is, obviously, a very poor design choice, and it should have been corrected over a year ago after the Penta came out. But for some reason it keeps getting pushed aside while these weapons, most of which are already mid-tier and could use some help, continue to be neglected.

I can't say I'm a top-notch programmer, but even I have to say this fix couldn't seriously take more than a couple of days to change and test to make sure it works. Move alternate fire code out to new function (which would just be empty for most weapons), put zoom code back in, associate new keybind to new alternate fire function. I really don't know what else would even need to be done beyond that.

The only exception really would be the Buzlok, because it changes the primary fire while zoomed, rather than changing the alternate fire. Even then, it doesn't seem that difficult.

Edited by Centias

One reason I think that the aim command it's replaced for the secondary fire type it's for the players that don't have enough buttons on mouse to have aim and two types of fire.

I would rather bet its due to consoles. They have limited numbers of buttons while pc is way way way way way way way less limited.

From the response we got in the last massive thread over this topic, it sounded like the weapons were actually coded in such a way that their zoom is entirely replaced by whatever their alternate fire function is. As in, for most of these weapons, it has no zoom function associated with the weapon, because that function does its alternate fire instead. Which is, obviously, a very poor design choice, and it should have been corrected over a year ago after the Penta came out. But for some reason it keeps getting pushed aside while these weapons, most of which are already mid-tier and could use some help, continue to be neglected.

I can't say I'm a top-notch programmer, but even I have to say this fix couldn't seriously take more than a couple of days to change and test to make sure it works. Move alternate fire code out to new function (which would just be empty for most weapons), put zoom code back in, associate new keybind to new alternate fire function. I really don't know what else would even need to be done beyond that.

The only exception really would be the Buzlok, because it changes the primary fire while zoomed, rather than changing the alternate fire. Even then, it doesn't seem that difficult.

This is false, penta have aim despite having secondary fire.

Secondary fire simply replaces aim when it can be used.

Edited by Davoodoo

This is false, penta have aim despite having secondary fire.

Secondary fire simply replaces aim when it can be used.

Well, more like it checks if you have any active grenades first inside the normal "zoom" function. If you do, it detonates, if you don't it zooms. It's actually probably the easiest to change over to an alternate fire, because all that needs to move the check for active grenades and the detonate part to the new alternate fire function and it's done, basically.

It's not really much different than the others, just that it performs the normal "zoom" function if it has nothing else to do.

Edited by Centias

The Penta and Castanas are the two weapons that shouldn't have the alt-fire button changed.  When using them in combat, you have to detonate too often and too precisely to have the detonation bound to M3, M4, or a key.

Other than that, ALL of my yes.

The problem is, many people, including myself, have requested this, and DE still hasn't implemented it.  https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/385551-seriously-stop-making-weapons-with-no-ads-aim-down-sight

I can't speak for the Panthera as I don't have it, but the Quanta is an amazing weapon.  Imo giving it zoom is a massive buff to an already beefy weapon.

Furthermore, it's a continuous beam weapon with massive range.  Most other beam weapons have a less than satisfying range making the zoom unnecessary (well less helpful) for them anyway.  For Quanta the trade-off for continuous beam at long range is not having a zoom.

One reason I think that the aim command it's replaced for the secondary fire type it's for the players that don't have enough buttons on mouse to have aim and two types of fire.

And then because two tenno couldn't aim the other 9000 lost the right to do so.

Panthera and Quanta should have always been able to aim, without it its inaccurate as hell, and requires strafing or careful placement. At higher levels this gets you killed, or on the lowest bar for damage.

And for both of their secondaries(blade and cube) they too beenfi from aiming.

Quanta is so OP aiming doesn't even matter, just swipe it a few times in the general direction of the enemies and they all die. That said, I easily snipe with it, maybe your mouse is crappy.

Panthera's problem isn't that you cant aim, it's the ridiculous travel time that lets enemies completely dodge your attack by simply stepping 2 inches to the side. If it were near hitscan I'd use it all the time, as is it's just frustrating. However, I think aiming would benefit it since it only fires one blade at a time and its ammo economy stinks.

You don't have to aim the secondary fire, at all.

Panthera's secondary is for killing things like 5 feet in front of you, if you can't hit things at that range without needing to scope in, then you have worse problems.

Quanta's secondary completely wrecks an area. It's shooting mines, not bullets that need to accurately hit a target, no precision necessary

Edited by DarkTails