Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

I'm personally new to linux, currently using Zorin OS 8 Gaming, and am a bit exasperated. I easily get the launcher up and downloading, but after a 4050mb download, it then tries to download a ~2350mb, then a 4350mb, then an ~8000mb and then goes right back to trying download the 2350mb again, ad infinitum.

I saw what appeared to be a similar problem other users had in the thread but I'm apparently too thick to understand how to resolve the issue properly. Any help would be appreciated, I'm very happy with Zorin so far and would be rather disappointed in being unable to resolve this issue and needing windows again. 

Edited by FaustianQ

Hi,

Can someone take a look in this log and help me out?

http://pastebin.com/QSWyMZuL

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on an Alienware m17xR4 with Radeon HD 7970m.

lspci -v show me this to VGA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wimbledon XT [Radeon HD 7970M] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Dell Device 057b
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 48
Memory at a0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
Expansion ROM at b0060000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
Kernel modules: fglrx_experimental_13, radeon

Thanks very much.

What you mates think of running native this game on Linux ?
I currently will test it on my Fedora. 

I ask support for official Linux port and this is what they told me :
--

Hi nask0,

Unfortunately, we currently have no plans to make a port of the game for that OS, but that doesn’t mean it will never happen. We use demand from the community to help gauge interest in the platforms we choose to support, so I will be sure to communicate your request to the rest of the team.

Thank you for your interest!
--

I think if we're noisier about this topic it may be happen, who knows :)
I can try to port it, but without source code it is impossible.
Edited by nask0

What you mates think of running native this game on Linux ?

I currently will test it on my Fedora. 

I ask support for official Linux port and this is what they told me :

--

Hi nask0,

Unfortunately, we currently have no plans to make a port of the game for that OS, but that doesn’t mean it will never happen. We use demand from the community to help gauge interest in the platforms we choose to support, so I will be sure to communicate your request to the rest of the team.

Thank you for your interest!

--

I think if we're noisier about this topic it may be happen, who knows :)
I can try to port it, but without source code it is impossible.

Yeah, I'd like to see this game on Linux. 

Thank you very much for posting this. and I test it, It can work it in Fedora 20,mint 17,opensuse too.(using or not use by steam.)

I'm using MSI GT680 Notebook.

CPU: I7-2620M

Display: GTX 570M

Wine version:  1.7.24

but the nvidia driver not perfect support with my display,so i close some effect make FPS in 30~60.

Thanks you!

Last,if your warframe account is binding to steam ,don't install wininet in winetricks(or stop it.)

Edited by pandaofc

Thank you very much for posting this. and I test it, It can work it in Fedora 20,mint 17,opensuse too.(using or not use by steam.)

I'm using MSI GT680 Notebook.

CPU: I7-2620M

Display: GTX 570M

but the nvidia driver not perfect support with my display,so i close some effect make FPS in 30~60.

Thanks you!

Last,if your warframe account is binding to steam ,don't install wininet in winetricks(or stop it.)

You got it working on Fedora 20? I'd like to know what WINE version you used, because I didn't have as much luck when I tried it out.

Using the open source AMD drivers though, maybe proprietary would help me run Warframe on Linux.

You got it working on Fedora 20? I'd like to know what WINE version you used, because I didn't have as much luck when I tried it out.

Using the open source AMD drivers though, maybe proprietary would help me run Warframe on Linux.

The wine version 1.7.24 ,I forget to post this,thank you 

ok so I found a video on youtube that helped me a great deal and I finally got it running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTBi_ZuqYcU

although I have an issue with sudden screen freezes. it would be stuck for a good while, unless I ajusted the screen size in windowed mode, than it would return to normal, but it would soon go back to getting stuck. this seems to be my only problem, sound, and everything else works perfect but the freezes makes playing realisticly impossible. any ideas?

Saymu

Edited by Saymunoku

I'm surprised by how many people are running the game with wine. Hopefully one of you wine experts can help me out with a couple problems I've been having (I'm running wine 1.7.26 on a late 2013 MBP - Mavericks 10.9.4):

#1: Certain tilesets tend to get the game into a state where it can't allocate memory properly, resulting in one of two things, either a crash, or this (followed by a crash if I stay in-game too long): http://imgur.com/bxDJxO1

This used to be a minor annoyance confined to Ceres, but has become a real thorn in my side with the Gate Crash event (more like Game Crash event huehuehue).

#2: After one such crash, my launcher has gotten stuck on the 'checking for updates' stage. Normally this goes away after a reboot and some time, but even after a fresh re-install of the game the launcher refuses to cooperate. Since I had it working earlier in the day, I'm not sure what may have changed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: I updated to 1.7.27, and double checked winecfg, seems I set the Windows version to 7 instead of XP, and that broke things. D'oh!

Edited by legor17

hey guys,

Glad to say I did get warframe running on my linux comp and aside from occasional texture glitches (which to me aren't a big issue, as it's few and far between) it works perfectly. Well, except for one thing....

When multithreaded rendering is on, I experience very constant and regular freezes in the graphics. The game itself is not freezing; only the graphics. Everything i do still goes through. Sadly, the freezing makes the game unplayable, and the only way I have found to get it to stop is to turn off multithreaded rendering. While the game is 100% playable without it, the performance does take a pretty steep drop. I have already tried a variety of things, including:

Updating to a more recent wine version (currently using 1.7.22)
Installing a 64 bit wine (this helped a little actually, but was still unplayable)
Installing/uninstalling various directx components
running it in a virtual desktop (through wine)
Wiping clean all my wine files and reinstalling

Sadly, none of these things got rid of it. Anyone ran into this problem as well with ideas? I'm using an AMD FX 6300 in my computer with Ubuntu 14.04.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: Native linux support. DE plz.

Edited by Racercowboy

When multithreaded rendering is on, I experience very constant and regular freezes in the graphics. The game itself is not freezing; only the graphics. Everything i do still goes through. Sadly, the freezing makes the game unplayable, and the only way I have found to get it to stop is to turn off multithreaded rendering.

Sounds identical to the issue I experienced when a nasty regression found its way into wine's d3d component. If you're okay with compiling wine, you could try patch 48503 from https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35718 which should apply to wine source up to version 1.7.25. There are modified versions later in that comment thread for version 1.7.26 and 1.7.27. If you're not okay compiling wine, use version <= 1.7.13, since the issue was introduced with 1.7.14.

Just tested with the latest wine-git, it hasn't been fixed there yet, so who knows when the fix will work its way into numbered releases. 1.7.27 works fine with the modified patch (attachment 49679) from the thread linked above.

Sounds identical to the issue I experienced when a nasty regression found its way into wine's d3d component. If you're okay with compiling wine, you could try patch 48503 from https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35718 which should apply to wine source up to version 1.7.25. There are modified versions later in that comment thread for version 1.7.26 and 1.7.27. If you're not okay compiling wine, use version <= 1.7.13, since the issue was introduced with 1.7.14.

Just tested with the latest wine-git, it hasn't been fixed there yet, so who knows when the fix will work its way into numbered releases. 1.7.27 works fine with the modified patch (attachment 49679) from the thread linked above.

I will certainly try this, haven't thought of downgrading. Not comfortable enough for compiling yet, still learning more about wine. I'll let you know how it went!

EDIT: It works!! Sadly more texture glitches appeared but the seem to improve once things are actually loaded. other than that no problems at all so far, thanks a bunch!

Edited by Racercowboy

Thanks to the OP for the guide and the rest of the users in this thread for the bugsplatting and issue reporting. I've successfully installed and played Warframe (Update 15.2 Archwing) under linux. Although the guide is neat and complete, I should add that using PlayOnLinux is far easier than the explained method. 

Hard specs:

• Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
  • Intel Core i5 3330
  • 2x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti
  • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb (/)
  •  Western Digital Sata2 caviar blue WD500AAKS (/home and swap)

Soft Specs:

• Lubuntu 14.10 x64/Multiarch (3.16.0-24-generic kernel)
  • Nvidia Propietary Drivers 331.89
  • PlayOnLinux 4.2.3
  • Steam bottle using wine x64 1.7.30
  • Winetricks: dxfullsetup
  • Cinnamon desktop with composition disabled

Results:

in a wineHQ style, "silver":

+what works:

+ Game installs, patches and launches albeit some minor bugs. Can connect and play (tested an hour long session without any leaks or slowdowns)

+ With Vsync on running at solid 60fps with rare fps dips down to 20fps (mostly when entering a new room full of enemies).

+ All options turned to max graphics except Depth of field / motion blur (personal taste, no issues).

+ I run dual monitor setup so I had to use the borderless fullscreen option, otherwise it would try to stretch across both screens. No wine virtual desktop

+ "checking new content" bug on the launcher seems to be fixed after using the "Verify button" a few times.

- what doesn't work:

- PS3 controller (via QTSixA/Bluetooth; USB not tested)

- sometimes I get random skills used, I suspect is my Gnome-15 driver for the Logitech G13 keyboard. Need to test further.

- Launcher patching bug can happen several times, becomes irritating.

- Sometimes sound crackles a bit if any other sound is played, i.e. Viber IM notification sound triggers this consistently. (Pulseaudio/wine issue?)

Yes a few people report that using PlayOnLinux is the easiest way. Nice going Wildrick.

If the updater gets stuck at "Checking for new Content", just hit "Verify Cache" (under the 'gear' icon) and it should continue.

I have been playing without steam and it's ok for the most part. It stutters sometimes when, like you said, I go into a new room with lots of enemies. Plus the overly dark areas.

Can start the game with wine but once I type to login it crashes :(

err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x40d13d

Using PlayOnLinux.

Edit: installing windows fonts and fulldx as per youtube vid resolved typing crash.

Edit2: Game was running on high FPS but hitching, resolved by disabling multithreaded rendering option through gear on launcher screen.

Edited by zaggynl

I got the game to work in linux, but I can only start the game if I go through the PlayOnLinux manual setup each time. Luckily I don't have to completely install from scratch each time, but I have to go through the basic menus of the install process, tell it I want to edit an existing virtual drive, etc. Then Warframe will launch. But if I try to create a shortcut at the end, and lauch that way, it won't work.

Also, I have to disable a lot of the graphical features that would normally work fine in windows. If I don't, I get massive black areas on the screen and the game will eventually crash.

Overall, it is playable, but not to the degree where I'd abandon playing in windows.

P.S. I initially installed Steam through PlayOnLinux and then tried to get Warframe to launch through steam, but I got a "Could not update file: C:ProgramFilesSteamsteam". I figured it would probably never work going that route, but if anyone did manage, I'd be interested to hear.

Edited by TwoHumpCamel

I've spent the last several hours experimenting with warframe in linux. I never could get any shortcut to work through playonlinux--the game would only start if I went through the install process.

Going directly through wine, I was able to setup warframe with a convenient desktop shortcut. It was sort of playable, but the quality was noticably worse than when I got warframe to run through playonlinux. I'm not sure what factors contributed to the difference, but needless to say, I spent a lot of time tweaking display properties in game, as well as in the OS, with little reward.

I installed, unistalled, and reinstalled several versions of wine as well as reinstalled playonlinux several times, and also installed directx10 to see if it would be any improvement from 9 (it wasn't). For some reason, eventually playonlinux stopped being cooperative and wouldn't start the game anymore, leaving me at a "Retry" screen. Now I can only get it to run directly through wine, but the quality is rather poor. Also, all my widescreen windowed options in game vanished for some reason and won't come back. Fullscreen is unplayable since the mouse will only allow a single 360 degree rotation before locking the spin.

I haven't messed with warframe inside steam again.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, but it doesn't seem promising.

Since U15.5 hit my chat stopped working, and this showed up in the logs:

31.283 Net [info]: Name lookup: irc.warframe.com 192.184.14.42

31.306 Net [Error]: [sSL] error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)

31.306 Net [Error]: IRC SSL connection failed.

31.314 Net [info]: IRC out: QUIT :Logged out of game

I can still play, and everything else works as it did prior to the update, so I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem. (wine 1.7.29, OS X 10.9.5)

I've spent the last several hours experimenting with warframe in linux. I never could get any shortcut to work through playonlinux--the game would only start if I went through the install process.

Going directly through wine, I was able to setup warframe with a convenient desktop shortcut. It was sort of playable, but the quality was noticably worse than when I got warframe to run through playonlinux. I'm not sure what factors contributed to the difference, but needless to say, I spent a lot of time tweaking display properties in game, as well as in the OS, with little reward.

I installed, unistalled, and reinstalled several versions of wine as well as reinstalled playonlinux several times, and also installed directx10 to see if it would be any improvement from 9 (it wasn't). For some reason, eventually playonlinux stopped being cooperative and wouldn't start the game anymore, leaving me at a "Retry" screen. Now I can only get it to run directly through wine, but the quality is rather poor. Also, all my widescreen windowed options in game vanished for some reason and won't come back. Fullscreen is unplayable since the mouse will only allow a single 360 degree rotation before locking the spin.

I haven't messed with warframe inside steam again.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, but it doesn't seem promising.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. What linux OS are you running? I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.1, not sure if this will work for you, but it worked for me.

Installing the game through steam from Playonlinux was the easiest option for me. There's a workaround for the "Could not update file: C:ProgramFilesSteamsteam":

- Go into the local files through steam (right click warframe in the library, go to properties, then local files tab, and click browse local files)

- Once in, open to the Tools folder

- You'll notice multiple launchers files in there. Delete "Launcher.exe" and rename "Launcher.exe.tmp" to "Launcher.exe"

- Close the file browser and start warframe from steam again. It should update.

If you play through steam, be sure to disable steam overlay. It messes with things for some reason.

I myself am also having that mouse issue, haven't figured out a way to fix it. For now, I just turn down the speed of my mouse in Ubuntu down really far, and turn up the sensitiviy of the mouse in warframe. It allows me to do about 3 turns before it stops, which is plenty for me.

so i was able to install it successfully but then a few days later it broke. when i try to run the launcher it has an error and wont open it says the program launcher.exe has encountered a serious error and needs to close. this is what the terminal shows me michael@School-PC:~$ fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage EM_SETMARGINS: stub

fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (3): stub
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
[0106/210245:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(550)] Could not load locale pak for en-US
fixme:ntdll:NtIsProcessInJob stub: (nil) 0xffffffff
fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 56, 0x33e6a8, (nil) 0x33e6ac
fixme:winsock:WSALookupServiceBeginW (0x33e57c 0x00000ff0 0x33e5b8) Stub!
[0106/210245:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x33e6e4, overlapped 0xaa2e48): stub
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x60078, filter=0x33e6f0,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationW (hwnd=0x60078, filter=0x33e6f0,flags=0x00000000) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x25ae9c8 (nil)): stub
fixme:file:FindFirstFileExW options not implemented 0x00000000 0x00000002
[0106/210245:ERROR:gpu_info_collector_win.cc(103)] Can't retrieve a valid WinSAT assessment.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e050,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0x101397c0, 0x12406a90, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x123ce354, (null), (null), 0x12406aa8,): stub
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33dca8
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x20024 0x00000000
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {71c6e74c-0f28-11d8-a82a-00065b84435c} of class {33c53a50-f456-4884-b049-85fd643ecfed}, hres is 0x80004002
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:oleacc:CreateStdAccessibleObject 0x20022 0 {618736e0-3c3d-11cf-810c-00aa00389b71} 0xb0b3ac
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 003b), starting debugger...
[0106/210245:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(550)] Could not load locale pak for en-US
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread Cannot get kerneltime or usertime of other threads
fixme:d3d11:D3D11CreateDevice stub: adapter (nil), driver_type D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE, swrast (nil), flags 0, feature_levels 3403916, levels 0x3, sdk_version 7, device 0x165cf0, feature_level 0x165cf4, context 0x165cf8
[0106/210246:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(550)] Could not load locale pak for en-US
fixme:advapi:RegisterTraceGuidsW (0x101397c0, 0x12406a90, {3dada31d-19ef-4dc1-b345-037927193422}, 1, 0x123ce354, (null), (null), 0x12406aa8,): stub
fixme:gdi:GdiInitializeLanguagePack stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eb98,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:d3d9:d3d9_device_CheckDeviceState iface 0x172860, dst_window (nil) stub!
fixme:d3d9:d3d9_device_CreateTexture Resource sharing not implemented, *shared_handle (nil).
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unknown action: 116
[0106/210625:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(227)] Running without renderer sandbox

does anyone know what's going wrong and how to fix it ?

So im using Ubuntu 14. i have followed these instructions. the launcher launches and i get to the bit where it downloads the updates.

there is about 5-6gig worth of data it downloads and then says "The Download Is Corrupt" ive tried 3 times with the same result.

Any Ideas ?

So im using Ubuntu 14. i have followed these instructions. the launcher launches and i get to the bit where it downloads the updates.

there is about 5-6gig worth of data it downloads and then says "The Download Is Corrupt" ive tried 3 times with the same result.

Any Ideas ?

Are you using it through steam or the stand alone launcher? I've tried with the stand alone launcher and had the same issue, there a post somewhere in this thread giving a solution. I'll try and find it.

EDIT found the post: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41660-guide-warframe-on-linux-with-wine/page-7#entry1954499

Edited by Racercowboy