Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Archwing Sounds Don't Make Sense

Wawazat

I have two issues and one of them might be more about gameplay than sound but they are both kind of related.

I currently only have one archwing (the odonta) and it sounds like a high pitched, broken/barely running car. like a belt is slipping. this is not an impressive sound. If there is going to be a sound, i would rather it be smooth since the odonta has no moving parts (i imagine). if this is the case with all of them, i would request the same thing for all of them. except maybe the elitron since it looks like it does have moving parts. but even then, given its size i imagine its acoustics would be deeper than the sound i currently hear in game for the odonta, so i hope it is.

my second issue is that we are in the vacuum of space in these missions so i should be able to hear anything at all - or at least anything outside my helmet/suit, and this is especially true of all enemies. i believe that all arch weapons should be considered silent. since there is very little cover in space to hide behind, silence is the only way left to be sneaky, especially since no current archgun is silent.

i know people will complain about not being able to hear gunfire if everything is completely silent in arch missions but anything over your intercom like the lotus and background music will be audible and anything making contact with your frame will be too (since solid mass carries sound). any hits you take and the sound the archwings make should be a muffled sound. again archwings will be smooth sounds but damage from attacked should sound kind of like deep thuds in my opinion. the laser visuals in space should be good enough indicator of direction too if people complain the cant hear direction of enemies

brief overview: odonta flying sound is unattractive and weapons should be silent in space. think taking space physics into account a little bit will make it seem that much more real. I hope others agree

EDIT: ok general feeling so far is that everybody would prefer sound. kinda figured and im ok with that, but i still want BETTER sounds! 

Edited by Wawazat

The best in lore explanation ive heard by another person was that our helmets have some system in place to approximate the sounds we would be hearing. However i do agree that the sound is far too much for what one thinks of as space but on the other hand the devs decision to have alot of sound is probably the best one in terms of feel.

I remember them saying they experimented with no sound, and it was just too awkward, and felt incomplete and empty.

But this is what space is - empty space. It should feel lone and awkward.

Well, I can uderstands enemies engine ans shots sounds. Actually, you probably can hear something like this in vacuum because of waves of releaced molecules hitting your hull. It would soud differently but lets think that archwing software preprocesses it.

But... soud of flying near obstacle? Really? The sound that nothing but air vortexes can create? There is no atmosphere in space!

And... space whale screams? This is just ridiculous!

now that the prime odonta is out, i think this needs a bump. the logic still doesnt make sense to me but if there really needs to be sound so the game is playable, then they should be good sounds, not osprey screaming or fan belts breaking and dying diesel engines