Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Manic, Is A Stage Towards Anti Progression

SnakeWildlife

Umm he's hard?

Maybe I'm just lucky then, I've had four encounters all while re-ranking Frosty so hardly the most agile frame.

1-3 : Solo.  Twice I killed him before I even realised what he was, the third time still only took a couple of seconds.

4: I was with a friend (MR6) and it took a few time of him popping up before we knocked him off a ledge to his doom.

I've only ever used melee on him.  

Usually if I get surprised by something I hit it with the pointy thing on my back rather than shooting or using a power.

The Manic, is a stage towards ANTI PROGRESSION.

This unit is a stone cold mechanical copy of the Payday 2 Ghost. It's one of the big reasons i quit PayDay 2. Firstly, this almost completely throws SINGLE PLAYER into the trashcan. People who have bad connections or prefer to play alone are being f###ed the hardest (they dont have AI buddies). And secondly, theyre ANTI PROGRESSION. I would understand this kind of enemy in a game like Left 4 Dead where you dont need to level up and you always have teammates, but not here.

Why does it kill progression you ask?

Because of the same reason in PayDay2: What if i create the most Tankiest build i can, with the maximum armor, completely minmaxed to the pinnacle, after spending years of playing a game Leveling Up, Earning that Gear, Earning and ranking all the skills and the mods in this case, to be a slow, heavily armored Tank...only to be one-hit KO'd by a skinny weak enemy....and then you just insert an Instant-Kill mechanic that completely ignores and disregards the whole point of a leveling up system and ranking anything and having any kind of armor or shield.

The Instant-Kill or Permanent-Stunlock-Until-Death enemy DOES NOT BELONG IN A GAME WITH  SUCH STEEP PROGRESSION.

Currently, a level 1 Manic can kill a 6 Forma'd level 30 Valkyr with Redirection, Vitality, Vigor, Steel Fiber, and allll the other tanky mods put together. THIS IS WRONG. Its ANTI PROGRESSION and it's ANTI WARFRAME.

THOSE KINDS OF GAME MECHANICS DO NOT BELONG HERE.

Okay, heres a tip. Turn up your voice volume, youll hear him when hes comming. Youl'' be able to fight him easily trust me, he isnt hard.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to face him, whenever the alrams go off reset them and make sure to keep them off. He only comes when the alarams are off

The maniac is not anti progression, HE IS PROGRESSION. He is a new unique enemy(thank christ) that puts the fear of death back into players instead of boring grindy grind town players. 

This is just another example of adapting to a situation, and figuring it out.

For better or for worse this is in the game now, you need to figure out ways of defeating this new enemy, just like the rest of us had to learn how to roll when we got stuck with grenades back when the latcher enemy came out in the grineer arsenal. Just like when we had to deal with the shield lancer's when they came out, and the stupid infested disrupter when he came out. You NEED to figure it out

They're obviously female, DE referred to them as female AND she sounds like one!

The music makes it a LITTLE difficult to hear as it goes on, but these are DEFINITELY male voice over lines (then again, that doesn't necessarily mean much) and I don't recall an instance of DE referring to the Manics as female. The upcoming Corpus Oracles? Oh yeah, but not the Manics.

game too easy = complain

game mechanics change = complain

game harder = complain

:/

Guys like this don't know what they're talking about, in all honesty.

The music makes it a LITTLE difficult to hear as it goes on, but these are DEFINITELY male voice over lines (then again, that doesn't necessarily mean much) and I don't recall an instance of DE referring to the Manics as female. The upcoming Corpus Oracles? Oh yeah, but not the Manics.

Guys like this don't know what they're talking about, in all honesty.

Definitely male? It sounds nothing like a male! Seriously, I've had no music playing on mine and it sounded exactly like a female.

Edited by Public_Stalker

Definitely male? It sounds nothing like a male!

Deep, Darth Vader-level pitch male? No, but that's not high pitched enough to be a female voice, but plenty in rage for an average-pitched male voice.

And, again, I ask you: WHERE did DE call it a female?

Well, maybe you could provide some sound clips of them, then? Heck, maybe DE took two voice actors (one male one female) and threw them at this to trip us up?

Edited by Morec0

Deep, Darth Vader-level pitch male? No, but that's not high pitched enough to be a female voice, but plenty in rage for an average-pitched male voice.

Well, maybe you could provide some sound clips of them, then? Heck, maybe DE took two voice actors (one male one female) and threw them at this to trip us up?

I believe in a Devstream, the one where they showed off some of his attack animations, someone refers to him as "she" but then reverts to "he" shortly after.

He was originally intended to be male though, I can confirm that :Y The ingame voice does sounds pretty androgynous and there's a heck ton of filters over it, but hey maybe it's possible there's both male and female grineer units wearing the same Manic armor?

Edited by Kadabura

I believe in a Devstream, the one where they showed off some of his attack animations, someone refers to him as "she" but then reverts to "he" shortly after.

He was originally intended to be male though, I can confirm that :Y The ingame voice does sounds pretty androgynous and there's a heck ton of filters over it, but hey maybe it's possible there's both male and female grineer units wearing the same Manic armor?

THE CREATOR HAS SPOKEN! ALL DOUBTS ARE LAID TO REST!

But that would be an interesting happening. They'd basically be Grineer Tenno at that point (well, not actually, but you get what I mean).

I may have been tripping then, but to me its laughs sound exactly like deeper voiced grineer females, its other soundbites also sounds female to me. I've heard females with deep voices before, but they didn't sound like a male, there's small differences between a deep female and a light male voice. Go to phobos and wait for a manic to spawn, they sound like females when they laugh (IMO and in other soundbites too).

Edited by Public_Stalker

It doesn't matter whether you can counter him or not. An enemy that can kill you in one attack regardless of your HP and armor doesn't belong in any game.

Actually, plenty of fan favorite games use one hit kills as core a mechanics of their gameplay. That includes games where hp and armor are a thing. To make it work, the player needs a way to avoid being hit or avoid the enounter entirelly and manic has both of those. Manic even gives you plenty of time to react AFTER he hits you because most of his damage comes from the bleed procs. Just pop a heal or use an ability while it tics down. Also from my testing, he needs to be atleast lvl 40 to even start one shoting you.

I bet you also love level 60 ballistas.

No I do not. Their attacks scale infinitely and are hitscan, which is widely seen as a bad design decision in fast paced shooters without a cover system. The only counters left are invincibility states or not leting them shoot at all, which makes only a number of frames still viable. Again, manic has none of these problems.

Edited by -skimmer-

(they dont have AI buddies).

Spectres?

Mind you, there are flaws with the manic - his invulnerability phases and healing on cloaking both need to go because he's already fast as hek and zooms around at lokispeed - but he's not as bad as you're implying, I don't think, and I solo predominantly.

Granted he almost killed me the first time I faced him, (barely surviving cause of quick thinking and rage) and the fact that I was a tanky frost prime playing solo at the time, I had no idea what was going on but still I killed him and later on I learnt his movements, and can easily dodge and defeat him easily now. In other words... Adapt or Die, simple as that. In my opinion, we need more enemies like the manic in this game. It adds a challenge, keeps things interesting compared to the rest of the enemies, which are for the most part a cake walk to defeat (Even the Nullifiers, yes I said it) and boring to say the least. I happily welcome the manic with open arms, a loaded gun, and a readied dragon nikana.

Be careful what you wish for. Or the next one will be John Prodman, an encounter that none of us will be able to survive. :^)

Corpus300.gif

If you're getting hit by the manic (much like the cloaker in payday 1/2) I'm sorry to say that you're doing it wrong, You have the option of not setting off the level alarm to negate him even showing up if you're that scared or unprepared to take on of that little pansy.

Sometimes you just have bad luck with running into a big group and they manage to set the alarm off anyway.

One word for you:

SPECTERS.

They are AI buddies that you can build to help you out in situations like the maniac, or soloing a defense or mobile defense. Stuff like that.

Anyone who's seen the movie dodge ball should be able to avoid anything. Just use the 5 D's of Dodge Ball!

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and... er... Dodge.

I don't know what kind of maniac you've been fighting, but I've faced him on Ceres before (so he was level 35), and it took me between 5 and 10 min to kill him.(it was probably my 4th encounter or so, so I had a general idea of how he fought and how to fight back)

And every encounter with him gets shorter and shorter as I learn how he moves and attacks. He's not tanky at all, a few hits from a Tiberon can kill him easy, he just moves quickly. I run enemy radar most of the time so that helps in locating him via mini-map when he's cloaked(and you can hit him while he's invisible). You can also waypoint him so you know where his is at all times.

Roller not so good by the way, with Manic >.>

personally I find melee with fast hitting weapons with some Corrosive or Viral (can't recall which I used, think Corrosive) while making sure to just move in circles around him does pretty good, after the first time when he kicked my &#!. I was using my Kronen blades. Goes down pretty fast with that.

The only times he was difficult is either in the raid where he always messed whith the bomb carrier, or when i was scanning in ceres and he found me in the smallest room where i started to chase him whith meele since i was lazy to put away the scanner and 2 bombard came to say hi, its quite difficult dodgin homing rocket in a small room.

That would be a fun combo...

Nervo 2.0

I bet you also love level 60 ballistas.

It doesn't matter whether you can counter him or not. An enemy that can kill you in one attack regardless of your HP and armor doesn't belong in any game.

He can't kill you in one attack unless you completely ignore him. The only way he can pounce on you is if you don't shoot at him when he's visible, and that's exactly what you should be doing to kill him. if you're looking and/or shooting at him when he attempts to pounce, he'll stagger and retreat. Stop blaming the game for your lack of awareness.

This thread just sounds like "God forbid any challenge come to Warframe!".

They're not too hard to deal with (even if the invincibility phase should be removed). They're an enemy that makes you switch up your strategies and playstyle and are definitely a welcome addition to the game. Challenging without being scaled indefinitely, and are definitely the most unique enemy in a while. It's not like they mob up like Napalms and Bombards do, either.

Edited by wtrmlnjuc

Played around with a lv65 Grineer Manic in the Simulacrum and i say the enemy is perfect as is. Even with his invulnerable phase and self heal. It can still be killed easily if you know what you are doing. One option is to switch to melee mode and channel while blocking his attack, this will stagger/stun him a little and let you melee him a bit before he poofs.