Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Utility Mod Slot

Raybrand

Hi, Similar to how warframes have an aura mod slot and melee weapons have a stance mod slot I think the primary and secondary weapons should have a Utility mod slot thats primarily for mods like reload speed, magazine size, recoil reduction, noise reduction, etc.

The reason why this would be great is because there have been so many times where I get a weapon I like, but I have to waste a mod slot and capacity to make room for a utility mod and that significantly reduces the weapon's damage output.

For example, I like the Akmagnus, its very strong and I believe its a top tier weapon but its got such a long reload it takes away a lot of the fun. Another instance is with the Wraith Twin Vipers, they are so fun to use, even with a mod space used for pistol ammo mutation its still very high damage but then theres also the issue with its magazine size. with just lethal torrent you fire 40/s which is as large as your magazine so with a 2 second reload when using this weapon you send 1 third of your time shooting and the other 2 thirds reloading. So you dont get to enjoy mowing down enemies for very long without wasting another mod slot on reload speed or magazine size. If I did make room for another utility mod then thats another large drop in damage output which doesnt make this weapon eligible for high tier or long missions in defense and survival. I'd have to use soma or boltor prime like everyone else.

I think there are a lot of good weapons but small things such as the features listed above can take away the fun.

Kinda agree with this: it would make sense if ranged weapons have an "attachement" mod slot similar to stances and auras. Most of those mods can be made by "transfer" from already existing mods, especially increased magazine size or silencers.

BUT.

Beware the OP syndrome: it will globally increase output of ranged weapons, and melee weapons will lose the (small) edge they have over ranged weapons thanks to the stance system.

Honestly, I would like to see the "attachement" or "utility" system implemented (especially for ranking unranked weapons), but at the same time I'm a bit afraid by the big rebalance that would follow...

+1

Then Augments or ammo mutations could be put there.

Augments and mutation shouldn't go there, because they would be too much of a 'better' choice on a lot of guns; almost no one is gonna use Fast Hands or similar mods on any automatic weapon when they could use Mutation instead.

I do think that weapons could use an aura/stance slot like warframes and melee weapons. If nothing else, if would allow you to get those extra capacity points at rank 0 from slotting in a matching polarity so you can immediately add in serration/split chamber and bring the weapon to a high level map to level it. 

However, one of the problems with the aura/stance system is that you get pigeon holed into using a mod you really don't want to just to match the polarity to get the extra space, or you have to blow a forma to change it.

Edited by weezedog

I do think that weapons could use an aura/stance slot like warframes and melee weapons. If nothing else, if would allow you to get those extra capacity points at rank 0 from slotting in a matching polarity so you can immediately add in serration/split chamber and bring the weapon to a high level map to level it. 

However, one of the problems with the aura/stance system is that you get pigeon holed into using a mod you really don't want to just to match the polarity to get the extra space, or you have to blow a forma to change it.

I don't see anything wrong with it , we do that for warframe and melee , we will do it for rifle as well. The game mechanics still remains the same.

I think if this is done it should be only for mods such as the Ammo Mutations or Augmentations (and stuff in that same vein.) 

If you give players a free slot to put their utility mods in then what happens is that they no longer have to choose between higher damage or better utility, which in turn leads to unbalance.

@Sasquatch: same goes for augments & ammomutation. Basically, it's an additional mod slot on your weapon... So anyway another damage mod will be brought on every config. That's why I was speaking about the OP & rebalance syndrome that might occur: I have the same concerns as you about unbalance.

"Utility" mods must be chosen with care; no way you can slap a punch-through this way, but something as eagle eye or fast hands makes sense to me.

Edited by BlitzkriegBob

• 2 weeks later...

I think if this is done it should be only for mods such as the Ammo Mutations or Augmentations (and stuff in that same vein.) 

If you give players a free slot to put their utility mods in then what happens is that they no longer have to choose between higher damage or better utility, which in turn leads to unbalance.

The problem is that, as it is, there is no reason to use a utility mod instead of damage 90% of the time. Augments, mutation, and punch-through are the only 'utility' mods that have a chance of competing with damage, so they don't need a dedicated slot. Magazine size and reload speed do. I'm not going to give up damage to put magazine or reload on any gun that isn't incredibly painful to use without them (so basically never).

If DE ever thought of putting a utility slot like they did with auras/stances then it should be a some sort of gun modification on the base stats. Take the Gorgon for example. Instead of having a Wraith or a Prisma variants, these would be mods instead. So you can have a higher clip size or more damage base stat on the same gun. Could even go far as changing the base damage type. More laser shotguns anyone? Turn Ignis into a fire extinguisher perhaps? Of course these are just silly ideas.