Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Overload

NocturneOfSolace

Oh gosh, it's terrifying in Conclave. It one-hits anyone who steps into its zone.

And how exactly is this relevant at all to PvE? I don't give a damn that it murders everyone in PvP, I want it to be good in PvE.

Being good in PvP doesn't compensate for the ability being weak in PvE.

My thoughts on Overload:

Currently, Overload takes a bit too long to do so little (in terms of crowd control).  

You activate the Ability, the initial pulse is released which Electric procs nearby enemies, setting off nearby Electronics immediately after.

Then, you are free to move as the following 4 pulses are released within a very short period of time.

This time is short enough that the stun of the initial pulse's Electric proc has yet to finish.  

What I suggest, is that the time between each pulse is increased, causing each pulse to be distinct from the others, allowing each pulse's Electrical proc stun to be used to your advantage.  

Furthermore, I feel that Power Duration should affect the number of pulses that Overload releases, allowing for increased crowd control, aswell as further damaging capabilities.  

Additionally, but not necessary: After the above changes, an extra pulse or two being added to Overload would help with the new Power Duration scaling.

Capacitance Augment:

It's solid when it works, but sometimes it doesn't do as much. Really happy it can make Overshields though, was hoping it could ever since the leak.  

The values could probably use further tweaking, and maybe it could have a small default amount that it restores (like how Absorb was given a minimal starting damage).  

Important:
Please completely remove the infamous "Electric Jesus" animation from Overload's code.
It seems to only show up when you've triggered a bunch of electronics, but it makes you unnecessarily vulnerable in a situation where you should have the edge.

Edited by Flackenstien

Not every ult needs to be a nuke...Overload is fine as is.

If you want it better ask for better cc. Stop trying to make every frame into a nuker.

Ok, then tell me what his 4 is meant to DO if not nuke?

Stun Proc? ROI is high risk per animation/time sink and I can use targeted, low cost shock through shields or with active reload on the move.

It doesn't slow enemies and mitigate Enemy DPS like Nova, and it doesn't "nuke" like Saryn (just one example).

I keep seeing the argument that Volt's 4 works like it's supposed to compared to other 4s in the game that are overpowered/press-to-win/clear-the-room/broken, yet my suspicion is that it is bogus because they main with other frames!

I DARESAY those of us that play Volt do so because he is fun and offers playstyle variety DESPITE his 4 inadequacies. We simply love him that much that we overlook the current state of his 4 as simply a cool fireworks display that works moderately well until mid-game, and that is the price you pay to get the rest of him.

I ask again, what is OVERLOAD good for?

EDIT: The better question is: "How do I make a viable Volt-4 build"?

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Ok, then tell me what his 4 is meant to DO if not nuke?

Stun Proc? ROI is high risk per animation/time sink and I can use targeted, low cost shock through shields or with active reload on the move.

It doesn't slow enemies and mitigate Enemy DPS like Nova, and it doesn't "nuke" like Saryn (just one example).

I keep seeing the argument that Volt's 4 works like it's supposed to compared to other 4s in the game that are overpowered/press-to-win/clear-the-room/broken, yet my suspicion is that it is bogus because they main with other frames!

I DARESAY those of us that play Volt do so because he is fun and offers playstyle variety DESPITE his 4 inadequacies. We simply love him that much that we overlook the current state of his 4 as simply a cool fireworks display that works moderately well until mid-game, and that is the price you pay to get the rest of him.

I ask again, what is OVERLOAD good for?

EDIT: The better question is: "How do I make a viable Volt-4 build"?

As I said if you want it better, then ask for better cc. Overload's base damage is lower than Miasma but has better cc. That means, at least imo, it is not meant to be a nuke.

Volt is fun because he is versatile. He can be built for melee because of Speed, especially with the augment, he can cc fairly good with Shock and Overload since its faster now and he can defend as well as buff allies with both Shock's augment and Elec. Shield. Hell he can even buff and restore shields with Overload now with the augment.

M. Prime is a broken ult. No power should do so many things; Slow, damage multiplier, explosions.

As for how to make a viable 4 build on Volt? Don't. Building around one power shouldn't even be a thing.

PS. Saryn main btw still waiting for DE to fix how Miasma scales. I want to be able of actually using Venom (I do have duration mods on my Saryn btw even if it nerfs my damage with it) and Contagion even if its a S#&$ ability.

I noticed something odd about overload:

- It has a duration that increases once while leveling it, but duration mods have no affect on it.

I wonder what it'd be like if duration mods affected it?

Everyone already runs high duration builds on him anyway so everyone would just be happy that he got a major buff; he would be able to cc large groups indefinitely while also dealing huge damage.  You would see Volt OP threads and everyone would ask for Volt in recruit chat.  It would be stupid.

To the people mentioning that its deadly in pvp and the people responding that doesn't matter.

Here is the thing-Conclave shows what warframes are like without all the scaling issues from mods and enemy growth.

It represents eash frames intended role much clearer that way.

Why is this relevant to pve? because it gives a yard stick to go "oh so that's how that is meant to function".

In this case Overload is a great nuke in conclave just as it used to be a great nuke in pve before it was brought so low. 

To the people saying Overlaod is fine as is...what the heck are you talking about?

It makes Volt pause in place momentarily, it does low damage in most cases and it has short lived CC.

In what way is it fine?

Maybe it's not supposed to be what it use to be. Ok cool. But if it's supposed to be a nuke (like it use to be/is in conclaves) then it should hit harder, if its supposed to be a good CC the stun should last longer, if its supposed to be part of his speedy play it shouldn't stop him in place...

It's seriously in need of examination. It either needs to be buffed to where it's useful in some way or re-designed into something else. 

Volt overall is pretty good but his four is sub par. No I'm not one of the press 4 to win types nor do I like building around a single power. Point is that every power on every frame should be solid, helpful and viable.

Overload is just not cutting it right now. 

Side note-

Hell he can even buff and restore shields with Overload now with the augment.

In theory that is what the mod does. In practice it barely has any effect.

Though it's worth noting that it restores shield based on a percentage of damage done.

If good damage is not meant to be a primary component of overload then the proportional percentage of damage turned to shield had better be big. 

Edited by Ronyn

To the people saying Overlaod is fine as is...what the heck are you talking about?

It makes Volt pause in place momentarily, it does low damage in most cases and it has short lived CC.

Its damage is fine and potentially really good if enemies are clustered together.  This is how radial nukes should be.  Just because it doesn't one-shot everything into the 40s doesn't mean it isn't a fine ability.  The standard of "the 4 button kills everything in the room or makes it unable to move or fight back indefinitely" needs to die already.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

As I said if you want it better, then ask for better cc. Overload's base damage is lower than Miasma but has better cc. That means, at least imo, it is not meant to be a nuke.

Death is the best form of CC. Miasma is better at that than Overload, as well as scaling better as you progress through the star chart, across enemy factions, and over the course of an endless mission.

Also, one of the main reasons Miasma is less effective than Overload at non-death CC for most players is because Saryn is typically built for negative power duration, which is the product of player choice and confers the Saryn with an advantageous tradeoff. Miasma is actually very good non-death CC when power duration is left unmolested by Fleeting/Chlora, paralyzing all enemies in range. The animation is also nigh-nonexistent in stark contrast to Overload, allowing Saryn to take full advantage of enemy lockdown with weapon damage.

I play and love both of these frames but I tend to agree with the person you're responding to.

Its damage is fine and potentially really good if enemies are clustered together.  This is how radial nukes should be.  

What level enemies is this set against? Cause at levels above the 30's it falls off pretty hard. (like many damage abilities do)

And is it really good enough to offset the animation that plays out and potentially leaves you vulnerable?

Just because it doesn't one-shot everything into the 40s doesn't mean it isn't a fine ability.  The standard of "the 4 button kills everything in the room or makes it unable to move or fight back indefinitely" needs to die already.  

Ugh. Some of us who have a problem with overload aren't looking to turn it into any easy button-insta kill-room clearing ULT. 

There are many ways to improve it that don't have to result in p4tw style gameplay.

Giving it some consistent CC could help it along well. As it stands, if the lights are already out, Overloads effectiveness isn't only hindered by that, but also by the animation locks and overrides in place that can safeguard or even remove enemies from the stun that an electricity proc provides. Effectively, the CC that helps the ability scale in game is literally being hindered by the coding of the game.

Overload in PvE needs a redeeming factor.

It should either stun better than shock or deal so much damage that it's worthwhile to cast.

There was a short period after dmg 2.0 were Overload really was a killer and it was quite cool.

Capacitance Augment:

It's solid when it works, but sometimes it doesn't do as much. Really happy it can make Overshields though, was hoping it could ever since the leak.  

The values could probably use further tweaking, and maybe it could have a small default amount that it restores (like how Absorb was given a minimal starting damage).  

my maths says it gives you around 15 overshield hp per enemy in the radius per cast either they suck at making tooltips or it's a complete piece of junk 

overload deals 900 damage, 

900/100*7=63 (more or less) overshields if you're solo

63/4=15 if you're in a group

Edited by bl4ckhunter

Against Grineer this is because of armor scaling and Alloy armor.  Against other factions its damage is fine but it might not one-shot any more.  Nothing wrong with that.  

At level higher levels, other than robotic enemies, overload doesn't do enough damage or stun long enough to warrant it's animation on a generally squishy character. I don't need it to one shot enemies (why do you keep mentioning that?) but leaving them alive able to quickly recover then attack while Volt himself is recovering from the animation is less than great.

If there was no big animation maybe the damage and stun time would be ok.

Or if it hit harder or if it stunned longer maybe the big animation would be ok.

It's about risk vs reward, cost verses gain..that's where it falls apart.

Edited by Ronyn