Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Should I Spend My Platinum On As A New Player

vetzh

Question

Should be an Easter color palette for 1 credit available on Easter weekend. Will give you purple that's completely missing from Classic Saturated. Though no dark purple. For some reason Classic Saturated goes from Pink to Blue without Purple.

If all you have is your free Plat, spend it on two Warframe slots and maybe a kubrow egg (total cost 40 or 50).

The egg lets you finish the kubrow quest without relying on RNJesus to throw you a bone.

The two slots take you up to 16 max Revives a day (4 per frame you own), and let you keep one stealth frame (Loki), one Defense frame (Frost), one Hijack frame (Trinity) and one slot free for levelling and discarding.

The above three frames will make clearing the starmap easier, even if there's nobody around to help.

You don't need to buy Sentinel slots, as you can sell them or their weapons individually (Keep the Sweeper and DMR weapons, and the Carrier, Helios and Shade Sentinels). Keep two slots free for crafting/levelling purposes.

As for weapons, keep as many things unclaimed in your foundry as you can--never know when another "throwing weapon only" Tactical Alert will happen. Keep three slots free--two for crafting dual versions, and one for levelling.

Like many have said, slots.  Honestly though, just wait.  The more you play the game the more you'll know what you really want to spend that platinum on.  You never know if you'll really want to buy something because you're sick of farming for it, or a cosmetic because it just looks that cool.

Simple Task : Buy weapon and warframe slot 

DO NOT buy : forma , any catalyst , you will have them with time , as you watch devstream or random alert / invasion

any color pack you like , never buy any weapon/frame with plat

Agree except for the catalyst/reactor bit. If you really like a weapon or Warframe, those are some of the best things you can spend your plat on.

Also, as others have said, no weapon (except primes and syndicate weapons, which you can buy from other players at varying prices, if you don't want to get them yourself) and most Warframes are NOT worth buying.

Edited by UltimateSpinDash

The only thing you cannot get for free, no matter how long you play, is a warframe slot. Everything else has some free versions in one way or another. It's notable that free versions of cosmetics aren't always the ones you want.

That being said, for the most part, don't spend any plat until you hit the point where you need it. This is primarily going to be slots(when you realize you don't have any left for things) and maybe cosmetics when you think they're super cool.

Word to the wise: Most cosmetics come in bundles that cost more than the individual, but less than the total. You can usually save plat that way.(For example, a 3 sheet color pack costs about the same as buying 2 separately).

Always have some on hand just-in-case. You can always buy more or trade for more later, but if you don't have some in stock for when something great you "MUST" have comes out, you'll be stuck.

Buying potatoes now is waste of platinum. Look how many of them there were lately. If not alarm, then invasion. Slots are the only neccessary purchase.

Waste is subjective. Getting plat with a 75% coupon (the only way to roll honestly)... a potato is like $0.17. Given the satisfaction I enjoy for that $0.17 and how much easier it makes leveling weapons and the hour or so I'd spend farming a couple IF an invasion is up instead of doing something I'd rather do... my time - which remains the only currency in life I can't replace - is worth more than the cost of the plat.

If you really get into Warframe, save at least 200p. You'll start to learn what sets and mods and most valuable. Buy parts one at a time, then sell it as a set. I turned 170p into 900p literally. Took me a few months but I did it. 

Rhino is extremely popular and cheap to buy. You can buy all 4 parts for a total of 40-50p, and sell the set for 85-95p which I've done 6-7 times. Overextended, narrow minded, and fleeting expertise are popular mods. You might get lucky and find one selling for 20p, but then find a buyer who's willing to offer 60p+. 

I'm new myself, so don't take this as me giving advice. After having leveled my Excalibur to 30 and completed several planets. I was offered a Rhino P set for 20p and after quickly researching, discovered that was a good offer next to acquiring it for free and a very nub friendly frame. I also discovered I really liked this game and decided to make a purchase to support it and got the middle tier Nova pack with the soma p and more than enough plat that should last me,....well, a long time.

Anyway, after getting the Rhino P. I googled around for good Rhino/soma builds and searched out the mods that I could not acquire unless further along and/or among decent players who who help me hunt for them. Found warframe builder and went with those suggested guides and spent days in the trader section looking for desperate owners of mods I was looking for. Having spent nearly 200 plat (including rhino p) on 0 rank mods using a price check site to guide me and another 100 on orokin cats/forma. I now have a build that allows me to be successful at grinding and often times the one to carry the squad to the next wave allowing to farm more items for any other frame in my possession and was able to solo farm Nekros on Orokin Assasinate.

Plat is now reserved for color pallets and slots.

Edited by Ded_man

It's hard to recommend buying a warframe since it's hard to know if you're going to like it or not, but there are some warframes I'd classify as essential, whether you like them or not. Frost or FrostPrime is one of them (for defense and mobile defense missions).

Most of the good weapons are going to require a higher rank than what you have now in order to use them. Weapons are pretty easy to craft anyways once you get in a clan and find materials.

I advise against Kubrows because they die permanently if you don't login frequently AND they're fairly fragile at high levels. What I DO recommend is the carrier sentinel. Technically you could craft one but it's helpful to have a sentinel from the start. They can do things like restore shields if you find the right mods. The carrier's vacuum ability is fairly essential in this game.

Waste is subjective. Getting plat with a 75% coupon (the only way to roll honestly)... a potato is like $0.17. Given the satisfaction I enjoy for that $0.17 and how much easier it makes leveling weapons and the hour or so I'd spend farming a couple IF an invasion is up instead of doing something I'd rather do... my time - which remains the only currency in life I can't replace - is worth more than the cost of the plat.

Well, if you're from foreign country, like i am, where plat costs like 4 times more when compared to other, close countries, you buy only neccessary things.

Sarcasm is quite difficult to ascertain via text, mate.

Yup!

Apart from that universal fact : it's sad really : I don't know if it's the english forum, but the sentences look like you'd read them with a monotonous lotus voice...

Always ending with a dot. Next to no expression in the text.

I'm not saying that forums would be better with emotes everywhere (it won't be the case) but c'moooon people, you all write like robots!

Edited by unknow99