Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boar Prime Needs To Be Revisited

(XBOX)Grihaly

The Boar Prime's damage is fine, it truly just needs more reserve ammo to become great.

Umm - I was just saying that the best way to improve ammo efficiency in general is to buff damage. I wasn't saying that the Boar Prime itself needs a damage buff.

What it - and other shotguns - needs is for damage fall-off to be completely removed. Relying on spread and accuracy drop at longer ranges to balance out shotguns is quite sufficient.

Umm - I was just saying that the best way to improve ammo efficiency in general is to buff damage. I wasn't saying that the Boar Prime itself needs a damage buff.

What it - and other shotguns - needs is for damage fall-off to be completely removed. Relying on spread and accuracy drop at longer ranges to balance out shotguns is quite sufficient.

Then it would be like shooting a spray of slugs, not buckshot.

A way to make shotties better while keeping them somewhat unique would be to make them proc per shot. Most shotguns if not all of them already reach upwards of 50% status chance. Making them proc per shot instead of per pellet would allow them a crowd controlling niche (as they would cover large areas in status procs because of spread) as opposed to the straight up dps role of rifles.

Shotguns already got her proc chance per shot instead of pellet(proc chance is devided by pellet count and applied to the pellets), what is a massive problem outside of status shotguns that reverse this fairly bad mechanic once you hit 100% status chance, because you fire slower then rifles and you will not hit with all the pellets what makes the overall proc mechanics of shotguns a lot worse then with rifles.

Anyways, the only thing Boar P could use, and I'm not saying it needs it, is better status proccing as do all shotguns.

You probably should look into build vids and the wiki about the boar prime, if you ask for better status procing on the boar prime, since what you ask for is impossible, because the gun allready procs with every single pellet in a 100% status build.

Anyway, if u feel like it kneed more ammo use ammo restores or mutation.Thake into acount that can reach 100% status chance(3 events + multishot if i recall), making it a beast in terms of cc. The only problem i see its the spread+falloff combination, even without the corrupted mod, still waiting for the removal of falloff shotguns.

There would be zero reason to use a boar prime outside 100% status builds over other weapons in the late game and it only shines ouside of 4 CP, since that is the only case where the amount of procs give it more punch over other stuff, at least at close range. The CC is nice, but other top tier weapons will do the exact same thing just as good when you go for status, since the only stackable procs are corrosive and bleed and the proc chance + high fire rate on most weapons is absolute sufficent to keep CC or viral up. It does not come close in sustained dps at close range, leave alone at other ranges and got a lot more ammo issues than other choices on top of that.

I do agree that the boar prime needs like 360 spare ammo pool and a slightly higher damage per shot to help with the sustained dps and ammo efficency. I never run ammo mutation on it, for the simply reason that you need every single slot on it for something else to make it a viable choice compared to other weapons at high levels, since the only thing that make it shine is the high proc/s mechanic, what doesn't leave room for utility mods.

Edit: There is little to no reason to use the Boar Prime instead of the Kohm outside of a 100% status build, because the high fire rate of the Kohm also makes it a better status weapon if you don't reach the cap with the Boar Prime and the Kohm does far more sustained dps, more burst dps, got the far better magazine size and ammo pool plus the required punch through is allready build into the weapon.

Edited by Djego27

Edit: There is little to no reason to use the Boar Prime instead of the Kohm outside of a 100% status build, because the high fire rate of the Kohm also makes it a better status weapon if you don't reach the cap with the Boar Prime and the Kohm does far more sustained dps, more burst dps, got the far better magazine size and ammo pool plus the required punch through is allready build into the weapon.

I did a T4S earlier using Kohm. I run out of bullet at around 38 minute. I had never run out of ammo using Boar Prime. This is a maxed corrosive+heat mod with shotgun mutation Kohm. I hate to see what will happen to people that have not fully max their Kohm. Boar prime is more ammo efficiency than Kohm. Ammo reservation will only delay the ammo shortage but it will not fix poor ammo efficiency.

Edited by Neogeo

Shotguns already got her proc chance per shot instead of pellet(proc chance is devided by pellet count and applied to the pellets), what is a massive problem outside of status shotguns that reverse this fairly bad mechanic once you hit 100% status chance, because you fire slower then rifles and you will not hit with all the pellets what makes the overall proc mechanics of shotguns a lot worse then with rifles.

You probably should look into build vids and the wiki about the boar prime, if you ask for better status procing on the boar prime, since what you ask for is impossible, because the gun allready procs with every single pellet in a 100% status build.

Shotguns with 100% status chance don't proc with all the pellets. It just means at least one of them has a 100% to proc.

Of the 19.80 pellets Boar P fires with HC equipped at least one will proc if you have 100% status chance and even then unless you are firing into a crowd or stuffing the shotgun in the enemies face you could still not hit with the proccing pellet. At 100%.

As you said, the status chance that we see is per shot but it is divided by its pellets. Therefor it doesn't proc per shot but per pellet. If it did proc per shot shotguns would cover whole areas with status effects and I'm pretty sure they don't seeing as I main both Kohm and Boar P.

Also because they proc per pellet they can proc different effects on a single trigger pull if rng graces you with multiple pellets proccing.

Why not?

shotgun status mechanic is bad and damage falloff makes them lose damage fast towards higher level enemies compared to most rifles. Nothing a shotgun can do atm that a rifle can't do better and longer into the game.

Shotguns with 100% status chance don't proc with all the pellets. It just means at least one of them has a 100% to proc.

Of the 19.80 pellets Boar P fires with HC equipped at least one will proc if you have 100% status chance and even then unless you are firing into a crowd or stuffing the shotgun in the enemies face you could still not hit with the proccing pellet. At 100%.

As you said, the status chance that we see is per shot but it is divided by its pellets. Therefor it doesn't proc per shot but per pellet. If it did proc per shot shotguns would cover whole areas with status effects and I'm pretty sure they don't seeing as I main both Kohm and Boar P.

Also because they proc per pellet they can proc different effects on a single trigger pull if rng graces you with multiple pellets proccing.

You should double check the status mechanics with 100% status build on the boar prime in the game, heaving 100% status on a shotgun does reverse the proc mechanic for some odd reason. While it is most likely just a bug somewhere in the code, it actually does make the boar prime a reasonable alternative to rifles if you need stackable procs(like corrosive), and the meachnic should be like this without the need of a 100% status build on all shotguns, simply because it actually does give shotguns a field of use where they are not just rifles with falloff, less sustained dps, a lot of spread plus worse crit and proc mechanics on top of it.

Outside of the corrosive procs, the proc mechanic makes it actually a optimal choice on frames like ember, since you will be at close range anyway and a weapon that does CC what it hits helps a lot to stay alive with a point blank glass cannon damage dealer at high levels.

Edited by Djego27

You should double check the status mechanics with 100% status build on the boar prime in the game, heaving 100% status on a shotgun does reverse the proc mechanic for some odd reason. While it is most likely just a bug somewhere in the code, it actually does make the boar prime a reasonable alternative to rifles if you need stackable procs(like corrosive), and the meachnic should be like this without the need of a 100% status build on all shotguns, simply because it actually does give shotguns a field of use where they are not just rifles with falloff, less sustained dps, a lot of spread plus worse crit and proc mechanics on top of it.

Outside of the corrosive procs, the proc mechanic makes it actually a optimal choice on frames like ember, since you will be at close range anyway and a weapon that does CC what it hits helps a lot to stay alive with a point blank glass cannon damage dealer at high levels.

I built my Boar P with 100% status chance again just now and its true that for some reason all pellets now proc.

Still, it makes no sense that at 96% status chance, the % was divided between pellets while at 100% all pellets now proc. This makes it seem like one of the two mechanics is a bug.

Boar P is ridiculously good with all pellets proccing specially with Vicious Spread. I was blanketing whole hallways with heat procs panicking enemies and staggering them with impact procs. Sure it might not pack the punch of some weapons but it has many if not most weapons beat at cc.

Edited by RexRgisIocus