Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Afk Timers Should Not Exist For Solo Players

SilverZs

Are you meaning players set to solo or players that loaded into a node solo but is actually set to public?

'Cause, if it's the second bit, then I think the timer should still be in effect due to someone just loading into a mission and then turning YouTube on to wait for someone else to load in and then get carried.

Are you meaning players set to solo or players that loaded into a node solo but is actually set to public?

'Cause, if it's the second bit, then I think the timer should still be in effect due to someone just loading into a mission and then turning YouTube on to wait for someone else to load in and then get carried.

I'm specifically referring to the SOLO mm option.

Actually, it does. 

SOLO matchmaking is a SOLO player. Just because you're alone in a Public, Invite or Friends only party, does not make you a SOLO player. You're simply alone. Or have no friends.

Cute.

But wrong.

You can solo and still be on the public setting, the fact that you're solo just means that no one else is on that node with you.  You can also start out solo and end with two or more teammates.

My point was that your title did not explain everything, resorting to petty insults doesn't change the fact that it didn't.

Cute.

But wrong.

You can solo and still be on the public setting, the fact that you're solo just means that no one else is on that node with you.  You can also start out solo and end with two or more teammates.

My point was that your title did not explain everything, resorting to petty insults doesn't change the fact that it didn't.

Please, stop hitting on me. Its weird.

And yes, it does explain it all. In the Warframe universe the word SOLO is openly accepted as a player using the SOLO matchmaking option.

Playing in any of the other matchmaking settings, you are not SOLO, you are simply alone. Why? Because @ any time you can invite up to three other players to join you (keeping in mind once primary objectives are complete it is no longer possible). In the SOLO queue, there is no inviting. There is only you.

And this is the first time I think I've ever read a thread in 3 years where the term SOLO had ever really have to be defined.

Edited by SilverZs

Cute.

But wrong.

You can solo and still be on the public setting, the fact that you're solo just means that no one else is on that node with you. You can also start out solo and end with two or more teammates.

Well. When two teammates load, you're no longer solo, are you?

Well. When two teammates load, you're no longer solo, are you?

-snip-

You can also start out solo and end with two or more teammates.

-snip-

Please, stop hitting on me. Its weird.

And yes, it does explain it all. In the Warframe universe the word SOLO is openly accepted as a player using the SOLO matchmaking option.

Playing in any of the other matchmaking settings, you are not SOLO, you are simply alone. Why? Because @ any time you can invite up to three other players to join you (keeping in mind once primary objectives are complete it is no longer possible). In the SOLO queue, there is no inviting. There is only you.

And this is the first time I think I've ever read a thread in 3 years where the term SOLO had ever really have to be defined.

I've yet to come across anyone that agrees with your definition of solo, specifically in the Warframe universe.

Please understand, I am not trolling nor "hitting on you"  

You're post was inaccurate and I'm pointing out that there are various interpretations to what you said, hence clarification. 

Edited by Noamuth

Also, i dont mind friend who go afk, i think nobody does, there was a problem with some public missions, or random people who join from chat and do nothing on defence and survival missions. 

friends only mode should disable afk timers too, votekick on afk players would be much better

I've yet to come across anyone that agrees with your definition of solo, specifically in the Warframe universe.

Please understand, I am not trolling nor "hitting on you"  

You're post was inaccurate and I'm pointing out that there are various interpretations to what you said, hence clarification. 

Noa, unless i missed something, and if i'm understanding him right he's referring to the "friends only | solo | invite only | public" setting of "solo". If you start out with your "mm options" set to solo, nobody can join you. period. end of story.

... i agree. there's no reason to have an afk timer functioning in those missions.

Noa, unless i missed something, and if i'm understanding him right he's referring to the "friends only | solo | invite only | public" setting of "solo". If you start out with your "mm options" set to solo, nobody can join you. period. end of story.

... i agree. there's no reason to have an afk timer functioning in those missions.

After asking, that is indeed what he/she/it/Hobbit is referring to, however their opening statement was that the title was self explanatory, when it wasn't.

Otherwise, I would have simply added my agreement instead of asking for more information.  That is the rough definition of "self explanatory" yes?

The argument of whether starting public and getting more or being queued solo is just being pedantic as S#&$.

Disable the AFK timer if only one player is in the game, enable it as soon as a second player joins.

Bam, done, applicable interpretation for both situations and solves the problem of the OP.

Stop trying to see how much you can hold in your butt.

Or just give us kick options as host, and auto vote-kick prompts on afk timers. That would honestly be better. Someone AFKs because their cat is on fire, I'll generally let 'em afk. And if I'm host and there's one of the three others ruining it for everyone (say, mob def and they're off soloing so nobody gets exp except for them), I should be able to tell them to F*** off without having to call up Wireshark and figure out whose packets I have to tell my firewall to stop.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

After asking, that is indeed what he/she/it/Hobbit is referring to, however their opening statement was that the title was self explanatory, when it wasn't.

Otherwise, I would have simply added my agreement instead of asking for more information.  That is the rough definition of "self explanatory" yes?

*sigh*  you just like to be argumentative. ;)

*pats on head*

yes. on your technicality, semantics, you are correct.

*shrugs*

Sorry man, you missed a loophole.

This thread is very salty. But I agree, afk timers shouldn't affect you when you are in solo matchmaking mode.

salt and snarkasm are vastly different things. :P

Well why discuss what is solo and what is not? 

Solo can be paused, so theres no need to worry about AFK timers. 

wait ... it can be paused?!   i got over 3k kills from a bug on an alert that i mistakenly went into solo ("yeah, i'm fine. i'll just run it"), that took over 90 minutes to complete, and i could have paused it?!

*facepalm*

wait ... it can be paused?!   i got over 3k kills from a bug on an alert that i mistakenly went into solo ("yeah, i'm fine. i'll just run it"), that took over 90 minutes to complete, and i could have paused it?!

*facepalm*

Here... take this mop.... now clean up all that sarcasm you left on the floor!

Cute.

But wrong.

they are making a living out of making games, maybe BIG MAYBE they are capable of writing code that triggers when another player joins, why are you giving OP such a hard time when what he is proposing is indisputably good? 

Even if matchmaking is set to public having afk timer when you are alone is useless, they should just make the timer check if there is someone else in the game, if not, then the timer would not start.

*facepalm*

Technically I suppose this thread is less salty or snarky than it is merely pedantic.

I love that solo lets you pause, I used it constantly when I first started out, I only played solo, and it helped me figure things out with pausing and alt-tabbing to look things up.

Edited by Gelkor

they are making a living out of making games, maybe BIG MAYBE they are capable of writing code that triggers when another player joins, why are you giving OP such a hard time when what he is proposing is indisputably good? 

Even if matchmaking is set to public having afk timer when you are alone is useless, they should just make the timer check if there is someone else in the game, if not, then the timer would not start.

I agree that it is a good idea to have this, please reread my post where I said I was pointing out that the opening sentence was incorrect.  

All I wanted was clarification as to what they meant by "solo" as this entire conversation shows that there is no single, all governing definition. And I provided an example of how turning off the AFK timer across the board provided a work around for determined AFK'ers.

the topic is not if the title is self explanatory you are derailing and trolling.

I mean... i wouldn't interfere if the guy was asking for a boltor prime buff or a rhino prime buff... but come on... what he is asking for has no downsides... and it would improve everyone's quality of life...

Edited by Orbister

the topic is not if the title is self explanatory you are derailing and trolling.

I mean... i wouldn't interfere if the guy was asking for a boltor prime buff or a rhino prime buff... but come on... what he is asking for has no downsides... and it would improve everyone's quality of life...

Re-quoted to include your edits.

Again, I am neither trolling nor "hitting on" the OP.  My entire point was that there are different definitions of solo and that they're opening statement was incorrect and I provided an example of how simply turning the AFK timer off while "solo" would be a work around for determined AFK'ers.

I am in agreement that this would be a positive addition, as long as it's clear what solo means so that this doesn't result in providing a loophole that invalidates the gesture.

Edited by Noamuth