Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternative Chassis For Each Warframes?

thehotsung8701A

My dream for warframe is to have alternative chassis for each warframes, similarly to how we have alternative helmet. 

I'm not talking about like trollish skins like League of Legend Gentleman Cho'gath or Red Riding Hood Annie, but skins that make each warframe different from the default skin while easily recognizable. 

Something similar to this

%7Boption%7Dhttp://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/xcom/images/7/77/XCOM.EU.Slingshot.Armors2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130210232007[ /img]

What do you guys think?  This would prevent any frame from being "ugly".  More choice, more variety, more fun!

Edited by thehotsung8701A

I would love this honestly. I really hope DE considers adding more customization options for our Warframes. Immortal skins are a bit underwhelming on some frames, I'd prefer an actual change in appearance as opposed to a simple paint job. Alas, I think chassis swaps (ones a bit more akin to Proto Excal) are low on the list of priorities for DE. However, that isn't to say they'll never do it.

Well, complete chassis remakes are quite costly, time consuming, and very specific. An alternative chassis for each warframe is a large undertaking in development resources.

Immortal skins are probably going to be the predominant "total warframe" make over being cheap to implement and easy to execute.

Armor sets are probably the best bet on further customization since they can be applied to any warframe. Although in the future I would hope there is plenty of more sigil placement areas and multiple sigile's placed in a single area. So people can create their own "skins" sort of.

Do this.

I need more options:  *ethereal aesthetic, *high-tech, cyber aesthetic, *industrial  industrialized aesthetic, *infected, tainted, defiled aesthetic...

Perhaps a lovely addition, but one that would take an immense amount of time and effort on DE's behalf. Other things are currently more pressing, sadly.

Not an immense amount of time.

Also make it plat only so... time=money nuff said

True lets forget it guys… pack it up! He said there might be some work involved… nothing to see here… move along.

Considering they could be concepting and modeling an entirely new warframe instead, which they can charge more money for, I'd say it isn't worth it to make full model replacements for individual warframes.

Considering they could be concepting and modeling an entirely new warframe instead, which they can charge more money for, I'd say it isn't worth it to make full model replacements for individual warframes.

It takes vastly more work and more than just the design team of DE to create a brand new warframe. Also, Warframes aren't released so frecquently that taking time to make a skin will slow down the pace at which warframes are released. Not to mention Warframes can be acquired without players spending a dime. Most people don't bother outright buying Warframes, unless they're very impatient, or they're behind a massive grind/timewall like Mesa. Skins however, are plat only. People went crazy over Proto Excal. Considering how much people love buying cosmetics and how every acquisition of said cosmetic is guaranteed money/plat, unlike with Warframes, I'd hardly say it's not worth it. Not to mention they already have rendered models for some of the older Warframes (like Blaze, although DE has already said they're not doing gender swap skins).

It takes vastly more work and more than just the design team of DE to create a brand new warframe. Also, Warframes aren't released so frecquently that taking time to make a skin will slow down the pace at which warframes are released. Not to mention Warframes can be acquired without players spending a dime. Most people don't bother outright buying Warframes, unless they're very impatient, or they're behind a massive grind/timewall like Mesa. Skins however, are plat only. People went crazy over Proto Excal. Considering how much people love buying cosmetics and how every acquisition of said cosmetic is guaranteed money/plat, unlike with Warframes, I'd hardly say it's not worth it. Not to mention they already have rendered models for some of the older Warframes (like Blaze, although DE has already said they're not doing gender swap skins).

oh the feels of missing out on the chance for a male ember. T^T

or maybe change some distinctive properties of each warframe.

Mag's magnets on her arms, Ember's fuel tubes on her thighs, Oberon's shoulders (not the horns you can replace with armor), Rhino's arms, shoulders and thighs, Banshee's shoulderpiece, etc.

Those parts are good areas for custom attachments.

What do you guys think? This would prevent any frame from being "ugly". More choice, more variety, more fun!

No. You realise that each chassis would then need to be animated per ability movment and stance??

This would mean we would get no updates for months while De programs this in.

Helmets are possible because they are fixed and no not have any moving parts.

I'm not an animator or a designer, but would it really take that long for a couple of people to put together a new look for a chassis? They even have the base model to start from. Just add spikes and a glowy bit, bam (as an example, calm your %$# whoever was about to quote this and tell me they don't want spikes). It would be accessible through the skins tab, and just change more than the colour placement.

Given how well cosmetics sell in games like warframe, where they're the primary way of standing out (not like we have different classes, everyone's in the same gear) it just seems like a no-brainer. Players want it, they'd buy it, it honestly doesn't seem like a significant amount of work compared to the myriad other things that need to be done.

I realize it takes more than the design team to make a Warframe, but when you put that much work into a new full-body mesh, why would you leave it as a cosmetic?

Do you know why warframes are released infrequently? Because they're a lot of work to model and animate in alone. Yes, there are the aspects of mechanics and abilities, but those seem to be done before the modeling/animating is finished(Source: Ember used as placeholder for Hydroid when they showed his abilities). As far as anybody knows, the aesthetics alone are worked on from the concepting phase to mere days before release.

I assure you, a fair amount of people buy complete warframes. Because people are all about instant gratification.

Also, it is misleading to call it a skin. The immortal cosmetics are skins, what is being suggested is a full-on mesh change. Meshes take a significantly longer time to make than reskins. Proto Excalibur is a special case in that his model already existed from Dark Sector, but the model was tweaked slightly to fit Excalibur's proportions. Even then, it's only available once a year at the heftier price of 100p.

In my opinion, this much work and development is too much for a cosmetic for probably only one warframe.

I realize it takes more than the design team to make a Warframe, but when you put that much work into a new full-body mesh, why would you leave it as a cosmetic?

Do you know why warframes are released infrequently? Because they're a lot of work to model and animate in alone. Yes, there are the aspects of mechanics and abilities, but those seem to be done before the modeling/animating is finished(Source: Ember used as placeholder for Hydroid when they showed his abilities). As far as anybody knows, the aesthetics alone are worked on from the concepting phase to mere days before release.

I assure you, a fair amount of people buy complete warframes. Because people are all about instant gratification.

Also, it is misleading to call it a skin. The immortal cosmetics are skins, what is being suggested is a full-on mesh change. Meshes take a significantly longer time to make than reskins. Proto Excalibur is a special case in that his model already existed from Dark Sector, but the model was tweaked slightly to fit Excalibur's proportions. Even then, it's only available once a year at the heftier price of 100p.

In my opinion, this much work and development is too much for a cosmetic for probably only one warframe.

I see where you're coming from, but don't you think that's a bit convoluted? Why would they go "hey we have this cool concept and mesh created for Nyx....so why don't we take crap loads of more time and recourses to do additional coding, theme design, power concepts, power implementation, animation design, etc. and apply it to a completely new Warframe just cuz"? They'd be producing this mesh with the intention of making it a cosmetic. And again, considering the vast amount of time it takes to fully produce a new Warframe from scratch, there'd be no logical reason for them to add additional strain on themselves because of the unlikely notion that said mesh will somehow go to waste, since it's being applied to a pre-existing Warframe.

Yes a "fair" amount of people do outright purchase frames. However, there's a vast amount of the player-base that purchase cosmetics. The amount of players that purchase cosmetics far outnumbers the amount of players that purchase warframes quite a bit. Also, calling it a skin is in no way misleading, everyone knows what that term means. The term "skin" simply denotes a difference in appearance to the basic model, regardless of the degree of change. That's why everyone refers to Immortal Excal, Obsidian Excal, and Proto Excal as skins, despite the wildly varying degrees of changes to the original model.

Also I think you're getting the wrong idea as far as the effort that'd have to expend goes. No one is suggesting that the design team just drop everything and give their undivided attention to making custom meshes for each Warframe. This is something thag would be very gradual. As you mentioned, Proto Excal is released only once a year for a limited time. It's not as though DE would be pressured with some sort of deadline to complete each mesh. New warframe and weapons designs would obviously maintain top priority, but that doesn't mean they can't work on meshes here and there once each weapon/warframe design is complete.

I think you're underestimating the significance of cosmetics in this particular game, considering it is virtually the only item in this game that cannot be acquired for free. Consider, for a moment, that there are many players that are willing to pay the equivalent of a full retail game ($60) just for prime accessories; cosmetics.