Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Unidentified Item] On Defense And Survival -- What Do You Think?

faustias

First, yes, this is part-frustration venting, part-tinfoil, part-suggestion but not really suggesting it. I am not wishing DE implement this but I wish they should but that's just probably me angry at the mission-quitters at this moment-- that's why I think this thread is not really a suggestion, or belong to feedback subsection.

But what do you think about it overall? I think it is good, but also bad.

Good because it may force the mission-quitters, who want to save his keys probably, not to quit just because they didn't get their precious Loki Prime Sytems, Nova Prime Systems, or Volt Prime parts. It will not make innocent grinders feel angry or frustrated from the keyholder wasting their time after 20 minutes or so.

Bad because, well, same reason-- It will force you into something you don't want to. And knowing this community, most of them don't feel like being "forced" even into something as simple as this thing. Even the slightest adjustment always have complaints.

Again, what do you think about turning rotation rewards as "Unidentified Items"?

Edited by faustias

Well, kind of not, because even with mission-quitters, they would lose their Keys (if host), so a lose-lose(?). 

Besides, there is something rather exciting with seeing rewards pop up at the end of 5 waves/5 minutes, and can actually motivate players to continue on. 

no, please no. what if you get something rare in the first round (somehow) and instead of leaving and keeping it, yu stick around and fail wave 23? though you might never know what you've lost, you've still lost it. knowledge is power, in this case. some people just misuse it.

First, yes, this is part-frustration venting, part-tinfoil, part-suggestion but not really suggesting it. I am not wishing DE implement this but I wish they should but that's just probably me angry at the mission-quitters at this moment-- that's why I think this thread is not really a suggestion, or belong to feedback subsection.

But what do you think about it overall? I think it is good, but also bad.

Good because it may force the mission-quitters, who want to save his keys probably, not to quit just because they didn't get their precious Loki Prime Sytems, Nova Prime Systems, or Volt Prime parts. It will not make innocent grinders feel angry or frustrated from the keyholder wasting their time after 20 minutes or so.

Bad because, well, same reason-- It will force you into something you don't want to. And knowing this community, most of them don't feel like being "forced" even into something as simple as this thing. Even the slightest adjustment always have complaints.

Again, what do you think about turning rotation rewards as "Unidentified Items"?

This is a bad idea

If I spent about 20-30 minutes doing waves to get to c rotation, got a unknown item and saw it was another focking forma bp, I would just give up

Practically speaking, it'd be more frustrating than it is now.

I mean, right now, you could go for 20 Waves and know that of those, you're getting maybe 3 packs of cells, a core, and that one Prime part you wanted so it's 'ok'.

With an Unidentified approach, you're basically setting up for disappointment because it's bad enough to know you're getting some junk, seeing it laughing at you when you leave just adds insult to injury. It works for things like Spy and Sabotage, especially considering the exploit that happened in Sabotage, where accessing what you find is arguably half the point of the mission but not the main point.

Defence and Survival, by contrast, are literally built around the notion of 'Hold the line. Here's your pay' and Survival is literally built on the idea of an agent getting stuff for the cause. Hence we know what's coming. Similar logic in Excavation, where we're digging up cool stuff.

Your intentions are ok I guess, but it won't change how things are; people will be drekheads whatever the situation if they want to be drekheads. You've just got to roll with it I find. Some groups are able to keep running, others just go 'more than 5? Nope'.

Unidentified items just exacerbate the...issues people have with Defence and Survival drops.

This is a bad idea

If I spent about 20-30 minutes doing waves to get to c rotation, got a unknown item and saw it was another focking forma bp, I would just give up

no, please no. what if you get something rare in the first round (somehow) and instead of leaving and keeping it, yu stick around and fail wave 23? though you might never know what you've lost, you've still lost it. knowledge is power, in this case. some people just misuse it.

-snip-

oh yeah... I forgot to consider the rewards showing at mission result, and its impact when the packages are sucky.

It would only lead to more frustration. Imagine running a 40 minute survival only to find out at the end you didn't get what you wanted from your respective rotations. Also, having rewards pop up every rotation gives players a small reward to keep them motivated to continue on. Making them unidentified items would really only incentives short blitz runs even more.

As far as the mission quitter deal, I haven't seen it very much at all very very rarely actually. I am probably just lucky though. A solution to that problem should be found though as I imagine it would be very frustrating.

Nope. The nature of an endless mission is that the players have the option to continue, and if you don't know what it is you're fighting for, you don't have the information you need to make a reasonable decision.

The "unidentified widget" mechanic was added to Sabotage because of the unique reward structure of that mission type, wherein you can potentially earn a reward before your key is lost. That led to an exploit where you could fail or quit the mission if you didn't get the thing you wanted.

The late wave rewards tables DO need to be adjusted. I remember a very successful Survival my squad ran:

Reward:

1) Forma

2) something?

3) prime part

4) prime part

5) Rare core

6) /drumroll!!!!   1x Uncommon core

??? Really? I didn't bellyache because the earlier drops were so good. But man! That last drop after the 2 of us had a last-stand for several minutes against overwhelming odds holding out until the reward was given. ;P

The late wave rewards tables DO need to be adjusted. I remember a very successful Survival my squad ran:

Reward:

1) Forma

2) something?

3) prime part

4) prime part

5) Rare core

6) /drumroll!!!!   1x Uncommon core

??? Really? I didn't bellyache because the earlier drops were so good. But man! That last drop after the 2 of us had a last-stand for several minutes against overwhelming odds holding out until the reward was given. ;P

Like other endless type missions, the reward pools loop. The pattern goes as: pool A, pool A, pool B, pool C.   If you can get to wave 20 on defense (4th reward drop = pool C), then you've had a chance to get everything. Carrying on past that point isn't necessary. Just for challenge/fun or conserving keys.