Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur: Upcoming Ultimate

KingTaro

DE hinted in devstream 50 that Excalibur's 4th skill will summon an energy sword and shoot waves.

Hah, I guess that means the suggestion I posted for a melee mod will will no longer be considered, since it's going to be Excalibur's special feature:

Off course they said they'll do their best to make sure it's not a copy&paste of the Valkyr's 4th skill.

While shooting energy from the sword is fun, I'd love it if Excalibur could keep his swords from his current Ultimate.

Here's what I had in mind for Excalibur's 4th skill:

1. Floating Swords:

Excalibur is equipped with an Energy sword. And there will be 8 to 12 swords floating around (or behind) Excalibur that will be used in his combo's.

Examples

- During one of the combo's, the swords could rotate around Excalibur:

aN10z5x.gif

- They could also be thrown, hitting enemies infront:

Thrown as a disc

v8FoaeS.gif

Thrown in a cone:

rEuIdJC.gif

Thrown and impaled into the ground:

yvGpoOT.gif

- The swords could be thrown in all directions while they're rotating:

cVICumm.gif

2. Block teleportation:

Excalibur will teleport behind the enemy when blocking an attack. (Or after hitting an additional key right after blocking, to give the player the control and let him decide whether or not he'd like to teleport after blocking)

3. Sword Teleportation:

When Excalibur hits melee and spacebar at the same time, he'll throw one of his floating swords.

When he presses "Block" key after throwing a sword, he'll teleport to that sword.

Also, Excalibur is able to throw all of his floating swords one by one, by pressing melee + spacebar.

After which he'll be able to teleport from one sword to another by hitting the block key whenever he desires to teleport.

Off course, the more swords he throws, the less swords he'll have for his Floating sword attacks mentioned above. If he has no more floating swords left, he won't be able to perform some of the combo's.

He can call back all the swords by holding down block if he doesn't want to teleport.

What a lovely idea, i admire the effort you took into creating this, however a few things.

When the swords are thrown (i assume similar to the glaive mechanics) how will Excalibur defend himself? Will his ethereal sword have an special properties to defend him before it returns?

And because there are a set number of swords would it not suffer the same fate as the old Javelin? That it can only impale a set number of enemies (with reference to the picture them being impaled into the ground). How is it different from energy waves that can (and will) likely hit everything in their path with a single stroke while allowing excalibur to still defend himself.But if they do defend him how do they perform it without clashing with radial blind.

The idea of teleportation seems to be stretching the idea, while i understand it's being done via sword to keep it themed it seems something more akin to Loki or Ash than excalibur special that his slash dash his being redone to keep him mobile.

+1 for the idea but i'd rather not see it as his ultimate, maybe a defensive skill but not an ultimate.

Glad you like the sword idea!

But, how did you conclude that teleportation won't fit Excalibur?

I mean, is it due to subjective believes or objective criteria?

Subjective believes. He is supposed to be a swordsman, staright up in your face with a sword/gun. Not a sneaky bastard like loki or ash. For me it just doesn't fit his theme.

Plus it's quite complicated to control it from what you wrote there.

Edited by Krak_Nihilus

What a lovely idea, i admire the effort you took into creating this, however a few things.

Thank you. I admit that I'm throwing around some wild suggestions, but to answer your questions:

When the swords are thrown (i assume similar to the glaive mechanics) how will Excalibur defend himself? Will his ethereal sword have an special properties to defend him before it returns?

The sword in his main hand will never be thrown, only the floating swords.

Anyway, are you referring to the 1st point, where the swords are being thrown to attack, or to the 3rd point, where the swords are thrown to teleport?

If it's about the 1st one:

The swords are being thrown all over the place during the combo's and they immediately return.

Just like you have a combo with melee weapon, example EEE, you'll have combo's with the Energy sword as well. And each combo is going to have one or several large scale AoE attacks using the floating swords.

For example, you hit EEE: Excalibur performs 2 slashes and on the 3rd swing he shoots the 8 swords in a cone, as shown above.

That means, just like when you perform a combo with a regular melee weapon, you won't be able to block while you're in the middle of attacking.

If you're reffering to the 3rd point:

Indeed, when you've thrown a sword using melee + spacebar, the block has been turned into teleportation trigger.

However, as said above, holding down the block key will retrieve all the swords that you've thrown away with melee + spacebar. Which means that by holding down the block key, you'll also go into the blocking stance, so you'll still be able to block.

But the main idea is that you exchange "blocking" to "dodging" by teleporting away when it becomes too dangerous.

So for instance, you could throw one sword into a save spot, then rush into battle and when it gets too dangerous, you simply hit the block key to teleport to that save location.

And because there are a set number of swords would it not suffer the same fate as the old Javelin? That it can only impale a set number of enemies (with reference to the picture them being impaled into the ground). How is it different from energy waves that can (and will) likely hit everything in their path with a single stroke while allowing excalibur to still defend himself.But if they do defend him how do they perform it without clashing with radial blind.

The swords are not limitted to 1 sword / target. As long as the enemies are in their path, they'll hit.

The swords will be flying all over the place as you perform combo's. Not just infront of you. You can also interpret the swords as "energy waves" shooting in all directions, if you wish. The true difference is the visual.

As long as you're in the middle of the combo, you won't be able to block. However, you don't have to wait for the swords to return untill you can block again.

Note that every time you hit E, you'll swing your sword, and some swings will command the floating swords to perform all kinds of tricks.

As for the Radial Blind, I might have missed something, but what do you mean by "clashing with radial blind"?

Radial Blind won't be affecting it, as I see it 

The idea of teleportation seems to be stretching the idea, while i understand it's being done via sword to keep it themed it seems something more akin to Loki or Ash than excalibur special that his slash dash his being redone to keep him mobile.

Subjective believes. He is supposed to be a swordsman, staright up in your face with a sword/gun. Not a sneaky bastard like loki or ash. For me it just doesn't fit his theme.

Plus it's quite complicated to control it from what you wrote there.

When DE said that his Slash Dash is going to be like the one shown at the end of a trailer, I immediately thought about the Dash attacks from Archwing. The archwing melee dash is so quick one could assume that the frame is teleporting. That's why it didn't seem too crazy for me even if all the frames could teleport. I mean, Warframe is still "kind of" themed as "Ninja", even though there are a lot of contradictions with the term as we know it.

But, I understand your concerns.

It's starting to look like "devil may cry" with what Dante and Virgil does with the sword slashes and the sword vortexes.

If he's supposed to be a swordsman, I wish they would buff his armor so he CAN stay in melee distance more safely, and give him innate passive abilities like fury and or faster stamina regen or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, I'm motivated!

Still waiting for DMC4SE to drop on PCs, can't wait for that. For some reason, Guilt from Chaos Legion also comes to mind.

Admittedly, I just read the rest of the post. I can't help but think that the entire thing is really based on Vergil now, especially with respect to his DmC and DMC4SE incarnations. Not that that is a bad thing, but the ideas are strikingly similar. Throwing a sword and teleporting is Grim Trick to a T. The standard 1 sword projectile is the standard Summoned Sword projectile. The one that rotates around you is Spiral Swords. Heavy Sword Rain, as I think it's called, is going to be in DMC4SE and is kind of like the one that's thrown and sticks into the ground.

I think it'd be an interesting way to give Radial Javelin some pizazz. Part of me wonders if the devs are trying to shy away a bit from Radial Javelin now though and not put emphasis on it as a 4 ability.

In any case, the suggestion would be another way to breathe life into Radial Javelin, especially after people are a little bit upset with what happened to it.  Maybe we can one day hope for this as a sick augment.

Edited by Otenko

Now, I'm motivated!

Still waiting for DMC4SE to drop on PCs, can't wait for that. For some reason, Guilt from Chaos Legion also comes to mind.

Admittedly, I just read the rest of the post. I can't help but think that the entire thing is really based on Vergil now, especially with respect to his DmC and DMC4SE incarnations. Not that that is a bad thing, but the ideas are strikingly similar. Throwing a sword and teleporting is Grim Trick to a T. The standard 1 sword projectile is the standard Summoned Sword projectile. The one that rotates around you is Spiral Swords. Heavy Sword Rain, as I think it's called, is going to be in DMC4SE and is kind of like the one that's thrown and sticks into the ground.

I think it'd be an interesting way to give Radial Javelin some pizazz. Part of me wonders if the devs are trying to shy away a bit from Radial Javelin now though and not put emphasis on it as a 4 ability.

In any case, the suggestion would be another way to breathe life into Radial Javelin, especially after people are a little bit upset with what happened to it.  Maybe we can one day hope for this as a sick augment.

I doubt it'll be a Vergil type of Excalibur, my reason is because the way the excal moved in every CGI trailer they released its always based on a regular length sword (Skana) and not Katana.

As for his ult, im thinking of Dante's Overdrive which isn't bad for an excal because he isn't that mobile anyway.

May i add something?

So, your idea is great, how abour Excalibur has these swords spinning around him like an aura, while each sword has a duration( once taken) about 20 seconds each.

He should be able to spawn them by holding 4. Each spawn consumes 25 energy.

Edited by NyancraftG