Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Way To Tell Who Is Host In A Pug?

(PSN)xPaizenx

Question

@Second_Measure

Having the number also allows you to know whose waypoint is whose. It isn't just for determining the host, but they've decided to have it serve that function as well.

And will also tell us who was the troll who put a WP on a Vacuum mod.... or who put it in our Sentinels.

Edited by Kao-Snake

To definitely answer O.P, there are a lot of 'roundabout' ways to find out who is host.

But, an official and easy way is coming soon, and it will look like this:

While i can see the benefits, i also think it's good not to be able to tell who the host is. Stops being singled out for not having a great connection, a lot less of a problem now the game finds the best person (and now i have fibre optic internet), but i do remember a while ago certain people would just continually gripe about the host, ranging from people who kept it unpleasant but not harassing to those who got sweary.

I really hope that's not how it works.

The one with the lowest ping to the servers should always be the host after migration, or even before starting the match.

Wait, But the game is not hosted on servers, they are hosted directly by people, are they not? or am I missing some crucial information here?

Edited by JnaDK

While i can see the benefits, i also think it's good not to be able to tell who the host is. Stops being singled out for not having a great connection, a lot less of a problem now the game finds the best person (and now i have fibre optic internet), but i do remember a while ago certain people would just continually gripe about the host, ranging from people who kept it unpleasant but not harassing to those who got sweary.

There are good fellow tenno out there

There are also bad tenno out there

We are being given a tool, which can help a lot of people.

What is wrong, is not the tool. But the people who abuse it.

Those will not disappear, even if the tool is removed/not applied.

Those will just find other ways to annoy or hurt us.

We can improve the games qualities.

Cannot improve the people playing.

Edited by JnaDK

Wait, But the game is not hosted on servers, they are hosted directly by people, are they not? or am I missing some crucial information here?

Oh, is that so? I thought it was hosted on servers since that's how most games do it nowadays. If it's by people then the one with the better speeds will always be the better host.

Either way, the game should automatically choose the hosts for the match/squad in some way.

To definitely answer O.P, there are a lot of 'roundabout' ways to find out who is host.

But, an official and easy way is coming soon, and it will look like this:

TxwM2it.jpg

Host = 1, so on others in-game squad list, it'd say DERebecca 1, just as I see their squad numbers beside their names. Your Waypoints will also feature your Squad number, too.

Excuse me, why it so strange way?

Why my teammates can't just see "R3W2ND waypoint" tag? It will be more informative and perfectly with a voice comunication. "It is here!"-- "There?" 

So i see now few troubles.

1) I need to look every time in corner of the screen just to see useless number. And remember it all game long.

2) It is pretty random. Also, do u mind about "what will be after host migration?" Yep. We lost mr.№1 and got new one.

And next question -- i point a tag and in next time host leave the game. Also we have few waypoints, one was placed by a leaver. Will whey hold old numbers?

3) Just another useless numbers in interface. They are so big and well looking. It is nice... But in game they are don't tell us anything.

Oh, and how to mark host?

Just color his MR on avatar in purple. Or place sheriff star onto it, or any other kind way to put useless information to useless personal picture.

Edited by R3W2ND

The trouble with people complaining about lag is that many of them do not understand the networking principles behind it, and several very different things end up lumped together under that term 'lag'.

Ping is only a tiny part of the problem.  You can have your 40Mb fiber, and with enough distance between client and server 'lag' will be unavoidable.  Everything in the game will happen smoothly, there will just be a delay before you see the results of your actions.  This is probably the only thing that should be referred to as lag (at least when confined to networking), because that delay is the lag we're thinking of.

Probably the bigger issue with networking is actually called packet loss.  This happens when the network pipeline simply isn't big enough for all the data that you're trying to push through it, so some of the extra just has to be discarded, like trying to push play-dough through a tube as fast as you can.  The symptoms of this are NPCs and other players skating and skipping around, and your own character rubber-banding, moving forward then getting jerked back.  That's because clients are no longer getting all of the location data to move entities smoothly from one point to another, and you rubber-band because the server didn't get data for all the points you travelled through in the last second or so, and is updating you for the data that it has got.

Upgrading to fibre won't guarantee that this won't happen, because many big ISPs over-sell their services, and suffer from network congestion at peak times.  If you buy the cheap, unlimited fibre broadband packages, you can pretty much guarantee that your connection will be running through load balancers, caching proxies and traffic shaping, in order for your ISP to cram as many people's connections as possible, into as little available network bandwidth as possible, so they can make the most profit.

My county's biggest national ISP has even gone on record to say that 3% packet loss is considered acceptable, and not a fault, even when theres no congestion on the line.  My own ISP considers any packet loss a fault (what level of packet loss is acceptable for the game to avoid skipping?).

These days there's also the likelihood that other family members (or neighbours if you haven't secured your wifi) are using your connection too, and their youtube/netflix/torrent is eating all your available bandwidth, because your router has no options to set what gets priority.

---

What I'd like to see from DE?

When people complain about lag, I'd like for them to ask about the symptoms, to work out what kind of 'lag' is the real issue.  Most of all I'd like for hosts to be selected not just on ping, but on bandwidth too.

I find it a lot easier to adjust for poor ping (leading shots to allow for delay), than for packet loss (can't adjust for targets randomly skipping all over the place), and it's definitely the latter that I see and have troubles with far more often.

Edited by polarity

The trouble with people complaining about lag is that many of them do not understand the networking principles behind it, and several very different things end up lumped together under that term 'lag'.

To add, networking illiteracy combined with a culture devoid of personal responsibility will single out the host for abuse even when clients are at fault.

Traffic light coloring of the HUD icons might help - green for good signal, etc. Ambiguity of who is host is a good thing for civil causal game play while those who really need to know can make the extra effort to find out.

Edited by PigeonKing