Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Way To Tell Who Is Host In A Pug?

(PSN)xPaizenx

Question

I simply ask who it is.

There are mostly 2 cutscenes in the beginning of a mission. The first one (with the ships flying in) can be skipped by everyone. The second scene (where you drop out your ship, or from a grate in the ceiling etc.) can normally only be skipped by the host. Or rather, button mashing my space-bar doesn't work on the second scene.

Then I simply ask: who skipped it?

Someone replies: me!

You're the host then.

It's that simple (^_^)

Learned something today.

The host can rotate his head while the others can't

/bug

Rly?

The idea would be for the host to give you the reply you want.

The problem with that is, it is not uncommon for 2 squads of two players to be merged. It has happened to my friends and myself many times and can be somewhat confusing.

Especially frustrating when the new host causes tremendous lag spikes.

Only way I know of telling if someone is host is to get everyone to equip a scanner.

When you equip a scanner you appear to put all weapons away. However to other people you still hold have a weapon out. Only the host can be seen to other players with no weapon in hands. 

So stand in a circle and equip scanners, if you can see someone not holding a weapon they are the host.

It has more to do with latency -- host will have near-zero latency between his position and enemies, while clients will experience a noticeable delay between their actions and enemy reactions, and will often will be able to avoid enemy fire by simply moving.

Primarch hit the nail on the head. the Host has a 0ms delay to Enemies shooting and hitting you, while Clients have a tiny bit even in 'perfect' Matches.

as a Client, it's much easier to 'dodge' Gunfire and Et Cetera.

and frankly, the game feels more balanced when you're a Client.

That issue about client-host discrepancy was supposed to be fixed already. While not perfect, right now the difference is alot smaller because enemy gunfire has been made local for clients and overall enemy accuracy reduced.

Changes should be coming next week to resolve the host/client accuracy issue. The resolutions will bring everything up to equal 'host' level enemy accuracy.

Immense thanks for those who provided image support and other details for this topic.

Re: ACCURACY TOO OP PLZ NERF:

DERebecca, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:09 PM, said:

This will be part of the equation in the change but more info is required in order to properly discuss secondary changes (accuracy overall) as a result of the original bugfix between host/client. I am anticipating and hoping for a potential post/devworkshop early next week from the devs involved but if that's not possible the release notes will certainly include the details.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/381733-hosting-causes-drastic-increase-of-enemy-accuracy-please-read-de/page-8

Edited by dadaddadada

I simply ask who it is.

There are mostly 2 cutscenes in the beginning of a mission. The first one (with the ships flying in) can be skipped by everyone. The second scene (where you drop out your ship, or from a grate in the ceiling etc.) can normally only be skipped by the host. Or rather, button mashing my space-bar doesn't work on the second scene.

Then I simply ask: who skipped it?

Someone replies: me!

You're the host then.

It's that simple (^_^)

Check your Chat after entering a Mission the dude with 3 ".... joined" lines in a 4 men Squad is host.

When you equip a scanner you appear to put all weapons away. However to other people you still hold have a weapon out. Only the host can be seen to other players with no weapon in hands. 

So stand in a circle and equip scanners, if you can see someone not holding a weapon they are the host.

Made me laugh 

Easiest way to find out is to get out your swords and if you have physx on the one with particles has host.

All of these suggestions are news to me. Thx guys.

everytime i get invited to a game.. i end up being host for some reason. maybe who ever has better internet

Seems like it is mainly connection speed and quality. My connection is excellent, but my framerate often devolves into slideshow mode when playing missions with others, yet I am frequently the host.

Edited by Horonelius

There is another easy way of telling:

Headshot crits deal four times the damage of a bodyshot crit if you are host. If it is eight times, you are client. Get everyone to call out headshot crit numbers and it will become clear pretty quick.

This only works if people have crit weapons though.

That issue about client-host discrepancy was supposed to be fixed already. While not perfect, right now the difference is alot smaller because enemy gunfire has been made local for clients and overall enemy accuracy reduced.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/381733-hosting-causes-drastic-increase-of-enemy-accuracy-please-read-de/page-8

It wasn't fixed at all.

o.O

It's an old bug. I originally noticed it while training Twin Wraith Vipers with my sister. We both had them unmodded and, while bodyshots were identical, her headshot crits were twice as strong. It only took a little bit of experimenting to figure out what what going on.

It wasn't fixed at all.

Yes it was actually fixed and appeared in the patch notes.

The result was that the discrepancy between host and client has been drastically reduced. Enemies now actually CAN miss the host, and clients are way less godmode. There is still a slight difference if you go and test, but it is a huge step forward than before nonetheless.

Enemies also now have accuracy dependent on distance. At short range, ballistas and all enemy snipers almost always miss you.

Edited by dadaddadada

To definitely answer O.P, there are a lot of 'roundabout' ways to find out who is host.

But, an official and easy way is coming soon, and it will look like this:

TxwM2it.jpg

Host = 1, so on others in-game squad list, it'd say DERebecca 1, just as I see their squad numbers beside their names. Your Waypoints will also feature your Squad number, too.

more importantly though, what about when you're in a Match? having to open the Menu to see 'the other Squad List' to identify the Host seems unnecessary...

As you can see, the above example caters directly to 'while-in-match' accessibility.

As far as 'methods to tell' that are really pretty serious bugs such as:

There is another easy way of telling:

Headshot crits deal four times the damage of a bodyshot crit if you are host. If it is eight times, you are client. Get everyone to call out headshot crit numbers and it will become clear pretty quick.

This only works if people have crit weapons though.

Can you please link me to a thread with more details, and perhaps even visual examples? PM is fine.

^^@steamrick

I support that being added as a feature. Although, it'd have to be a vote rather than just an immediate switch. Trolling can already get bad enough without having people host migrate spam, and it's not like you can leave a squad on purpose during a host migration unless you exit out of Warframe.