Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Plea To Digital Extremes

Kraosdada

Please, i beg you, DO NOT allow Paid mods in Warframe's future Steam Workshop, It already broke Skyrim's mod community, please do not let that microtransaction hell infect more of our lives, and help us smother that ABOMINATION!! on its crib (I mean Paid Mods, not WFSW)

Please, i beg you, DO NOT allow Paid mods in Warframe's future Steam Workshop, It already broke Skyrim's mod community, please do not let that microtransaction hell infect more of our lives, and help us smother that ABOMINATION!! on its crib (I mean Paid Mods, not WFSW)

What the hell are you talking about. Thre is no mods for Warframe :|

There is a whole SNAFU on Steam right now, and it can ruin game modding as awhole forever if it is not stopped, you can call me SJW who wants a personal army, but i need the help of the Warframe community to save PC gaming from thë horrors of Paid Modding.

The Sanctuary Video that was posted sometime ago revealed that They are planning to add Steam Workshop.

They did not mention it, it was written on their whiteboards

They have discussed it on a few of the livestreams as well. They talked about setting up a system like the one used for TF2/DOTA2/CS:GO, where there is a workshop that users submit content to. DE then chooses content to release from that.

The skin contest a while back was a sort of trial run for it.

There is a whole SNAFU on Steam right now, and it can ruin game modding as awhole forever if it is not stopped, you can call me SJW who wants a personal army, but i need the help of the Warframe community to save PC gaming from thë horrors of Paid Modding.

You're kinda blowing this outa proportions. 

Gaben already said he's keeping an eye on it and that if it doesn't benefit the players, they'll remove it.

Sorry bud, I think you're jumping the gun. Majorly.

It's still a very new system that most folks simply don't understand at all (other than "this thing used to be free and now it costs money, so it's bad"). If Warframe does go to paid mods, the prices will all be set by DE, as they're the developer -- this is how the system works. However, I can't see them even using the Workshop at all, given that they've already begin to implement player items in-game, and players are instead given a chunk of the platinum spent on the item, rather than being given actual cash.

Additionally, I can't seem to recall anyone raising a fuss over TF2 skinners/modelers being given a chunk of the profits from cosmetic items sold. This is the system currently in use by DE, and the only one they'll probably use.

In short: Calm down. Seriously.

Additionally, I can't seem to recall anyone raising a fuss over TF2 skinners/modelers being given a chunk of the profits from cosmetic items sold. This is the system currently in use by DE, and the only one they'll probably use.

That system is not the same as what the OP is worried about.

No one cares about that system as it works fine and is fair.

But the other system is the one that isn't good and what no one wants to spread in its current state

That system is not the same as what the OP is worried about.

No one cares about that system as it works fine and is fair.

But the other system is the one that isn't good and what no one wants to spread in its current state

As already mentioned:

1. It's still new.

2. Most people don't really understand it (I.E. thinking Valve and Bethesda are purposely taking 75% of all profits, when the developer-take is set by the developers and not by Valve).

3. Gabe has hosted an AMA on Reddit, is aware of the feedback, and will be keeping an eye on things.

I get the concerns. I just think it's far too early to be trying to "raise an army" to "save PC gaming".

Edited by Vargras

Paid Modding has existed for a long time. Have you ever heard of Second Life? It thrived because of paid modding. That was what it was all about.

This situation is only getting so much attention because of three issues:

1) Introduction late in the game causing large amounts of fraud

2) The system is being introduced into an established game, with most of the mods being previously free

3) It is on Steam, so there is huge amounts of outcry from the side that believes Valve is doing anything they can to make money

Valve has done this successfully for years in their three main titles. They are just trying to open it up to the masses. It could certainly be done in a more controlled fashion, but it is not nearly as insane as people are making it out to be.

So what about Tennogen skins then? Players made those, DE sold them to another players for plat and we got a share. It's technically paid mods already.

Not really.

You're spending real money on platinum, which is then spent on cosmetics. The players who made those items get a share of the platinum, not actual cash.

It's a different system.

I get that SJW stands for social justice warrior and I can sort of guess what the other thong is about. but what exactly does SNAFU stand for?

• 1 month later...