Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Wow-Style Mmo Games Becoming Outdated?

TheErebus.

The developer of H1Z1 certainly things so: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-days-of-the-wow-style-mmo-are-over-h1z1-boss-s/1100-6426943/

He believes that the days of WoW-style MMO games are numbered, and that soon it will be over.

What do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree with him?

Personally, I don't care. I'm not into MMOs (except for Global Agenda, that was a cool game).

Erebus, are you porting various threads/discussions/articles from Kotaku/RockPaperShotgun/PCGamer on the Warframe forums?

I don't think we were hiring an anchorman.

I've been doing this for the past 2 months.

I bring gaming news about other topics into the forums to keep some people up to date or to see new games they'd be interested in.

my bets are theyre dying, since the wow-style mmos were built on a premise that the player's interaction could be nuanced by LAG, they built it so that when lagging and/or rather the theme of 1995s to 2010 is that you press buttons on a bit lesser scale than action packed gameplay. and now well, as time goes, internet goes faster and faster, and well, PCs/consoles becoming stronger in ways that could initiate more interaction by player to character/ by player to player. 

I bring gaming news about other topics into the forums to keep some people up to date or to see new games they'd be interested in.

I know but, sorry. o_o

Well, with a lot of MMOs unique in their own way in the past years (IE Guild Wars 2, Skyforge, Black Desert Online, whatever) The WoW copies are kind of already dead.

Something interesting from Fevir I found a few weeks ago. ^_^

Edited by -CM-Tiffany

I, for one, think you're doing a beautiful thing. I don't like to go outside to start with, but now you make my life simpler ensuring that I only need one website to keep up.

Also, on topic, I think we're better off without 'em.

They became outdated ever since WOW became the self appointed queen of MMO market.

So many tried to copy the model instead trying to innovate.

I for one don't really mind button mashing mechanics of MMOs, my problem is with all of them is they want you to constantly group up.

Because playing solo meanwhile chatting on guild/clan/syndicate chat doesn't count as social interraction, how dare i want some alone time and make progress at the same time.

They became outdated ever since WOW became the self appointed queen of MMO market.

So many tried to copy the model instead trying to innovate.

That happens in everything that gets successful, especially if its a rapid popularity spike.  For every bright mind that wants to make something new and cool, there's a dozen carrion feeders looking for a quick buck. 

Pffha, folks have been wanting WoW to die for years.  Every MMO that was fan-hyped as a "WoW Killer" didn't even come close to WoW's success.  WoW itself probably won't die until Blizzard wants it to.  And H1Z1, yet another zombie survival game, will fall by the wayside in time.

WoW's payment model, however, is definitely outdated.  Free to Play is the name of the game nowadays, Buy to Play on occasion.  Both fueled by micro-transactions.

I can't comment on the style of the gameplay itself, since it's been many, many years since I even had WoW installed on my PC.  The only MMO that I thoroughly enjoyed in the past several years was Global Agenda, but that game's been deader than disco for quite some time.

Global Agenda, but that game's been deader than disco for quite some time.

I do hope we get some news of GA2.

Seriously, it's been a while since they spoke anything about it.

I, for one, think you're doing a beautiful thing. I don't like to go outside to start with, but now you make my life simpler ensuring that I only need one website to keep up.

Also, on topic, I think we're better off without 'em.

Kinda sad to see 4 upvotes on what she said.

But eh, I don't care. I do what I do because I like it and others do as well. I don't see a valid reason for not wanting me to keep doing what I do

LPW banter never ends m80.

I have no opinions on MMO's and whatnot.

The only "mmo" type game I play is Planetside, which is a FPSMMORPG, which some could argue isn't even a real MMO.

Edited by Utarious

But eh, I don't care. I do what I do because I like it and others do as well. I don't see a valid reason for not wanting me to keep doing what I do

True. Besides, who's to say what is to be posted in Off-Topic? 

I do hope we get some news of GA2.

Seriously, it's been a while since they spoke anything about it.

I as well, but I only played GA for the PvE, so there may or may not not be a place for me in GA2, where (last I heard) the focus would be PvP.

And don't worry, I enjoy finding actually interesting threads in Off Topic after sifting through piles of forum games and joke threads.  Especially since my only other source of news is reddit.  Keep on keeping on.

I as well, but I only played GA for the PvE, so there may or may not not be a place for me in GA2, where (last I heard) the focus would be PvP.

Yeah, that's really it. 

After that, no more news game out. 

Because of Smite.

Damn you Smite...

Honestly I hope they do die, I used to play MMOs, but with the success WoW has had, everyone has just copied them, destroying any hope for innovation and originality.  There isn't a current MMO I can honestly say I'd want to play, mostly because of the play styles.  The faster they die the better so we can get some original and innovative games again. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

With the introduction of a method to get game time with ingame money WoW shows that the model itself is not working as intended anymore. "MMO-Games" is just too inaccurate for this kind of topic because everything involving a large community which can connect to each other within the game online is a massive multiplayer online game.

MMORPGs like "kill 20 of those, run from A to B then to C and back to A" will undergo change, a lot of change but games like Warframe or League of Legends will be remain (at least for a while) because MMORPGs like WoW are not inventive enough anymore, those games had their age, now other genres will reign. (This exact same thing will be told in a few years about genres that are booming now)

I don't know if they're dying in general, but "123" combat has got to the point where I just say "no, screw this".

Even GW2 which I've been very hyped for turned out to be heavily gimped by the combat, despite being miles ahead other MMO's in other areas of the game.

We're at a point in games industry where we can use more direct combat methods in MMO's.

I can't wait to be able to slash something with a sword and actually see their body get cut.

No more of the "I'm swinging a sword in your general direction, pretend you're hurt" BS.

I always love exploring in games, so I think procedurally generated games are the next big thing.

As for what he ACTUALLY said in the article, I agree. Nobody wants to spend half a day doing one thing. You can compress the experience into more action packed, shorter, but still challenging encounter and everyone's happy.