Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion: Is Oberon In A Good Position?

izzatuw

Only thing that he needs right now is reduced cast times, so far Natural Talent is mandatory on oberon cause his cast time for Rejuvenation and Reckoning is over 2 seconds. Reckoning i can kinda understand even though its even slower then WoF, which is already bad. But Rejuvenation? Its already a weaker and slower heal then trinity's Blessing ,why does it cast time also have to be more then double?

Oberon also already has to balance out Range, Power and Duration for most of his skills, having a mandatory Natural Talent severely limits his builds.

The only problem i see with him on higher lvls though, is that even though he has some decent defenses,

his cast time means that you lose like half of your HP while casting Rejuvenation.

Even with Natural Talent slotted in, i frequently see my Oberon drop from 400 to 0 while casting Rejuvenation on higher lvls.

Yes i do try to use Reckoning before casting Rejuvenation, but even with stretch on, it only covers about 21 meters, which only hits like 3/4th or half the enemies most cases, and you also take some damage while casting it.

Don't get me wrong, i think Oberon is great, but he can't specialize in anything cause other aspects of his abilities suffer to much.

I'm quite fond of him right now. All of his skills can be used in some way with great effect, and he can be built for group or solo play quite easily. He's easily one of the most versatile and fun for me. I cannot comment on PvP though as it isn't somethong I've participated in yet.

Oberon was the first frame I built, and second to play after Excalibur. I've spent a *lot* of time using him, albeit I started after his rework took place, so I don't really have any comments on that.

1. Smite: Wonderful power. Extremely long range, to point where generally if you can see it, you can smite it. Knocks down the target and force Radiation-procs them. The projectiles that come off it each do a mix of Puncture and Radiation damage, while placing Puncture procs with a chance of Radiation proc on each hit. A few Smites into a group of enemies can cause a massive amount of chaos and completely halt a group of enemies as they start to commit fratricide. Even better, you can cast it on the run, since it's an off-hand ability. It's augment, Smite Infusion, allows you to massively boost the damage output of your allies, provided you click on the twitchy bastard.

As 1's go, this is definitely up there as one of the best.

2. Hallowed Ground: Immunity to all status effects save for persistent zone (damned MOA puddles). The fact that the carpet stretches ahead of you with the edge starting right behind you would seem to indicate the intent was to allow you to move from place to place with some measure of safety from knockdowns and the like. Kind of doesn't fit too well with the general mobility warframes possess, but the benefits of standing on it (paltry armor bonus aside) are undeniable. You can stack them to create a reasonably deadly carpet, though if you have the "Hallowed Eruption" augment you can instead detonate it for its total remaining damage and force Radiation proc anything standing on it. As far as I know, this is the only power of Oberon's that cannot be casted in mid-air.

Honestly, I think it'd work better as a short range Aura, even if it'd be somewhat selfish. 10m-15m would probably be about right. Switching from +Armor to +Damage Resistance would be good, too, though it probably shouldn't go higher than Trinity's Link. Not really a huge deal, and still a useful ability in certain, unfortunately rare, circumstances.

3. Renewal: Nice battle heal, good for quickly healing allies your near. Less expensive debuff clear than Hallowed Ground locally, and especially when soloing as long as it tops you off close to right away. It plays into Oberon's battle-buddy/Paladin theme, and offers good utility. I've not found it (or any of his skills) to call for Natural Talent even at 40+ minutes in Tower 4 Survival. Also lets you make good use of the Rage mod without strictly needing a Life Strike weapon. You can cancel the power drain at anytime by pressing the button again, allowing you to recast it for the burst heal.

Is it Blessing? No. Does it work? Yes. It does take some foresight to catch allies who are distant, and to be honest, that's probably okay considering it's still pretty nice, and pretty handily ameliorates attrition damage. Duration working inversely to increase how quickly it heals, however, is a bit odd, and the toggle on it needs to be better explained. The two changes I'd most like see made are: One, for the orbs to have a capped maximum flight time (5 seconds, maybe) that is shorter over a short distance, say 5-10m; and two, for the orbs not to drain power while en route to players. Renewal's biggest down fall is the over-long healing animation. Natural Talent helps with this, but the default could probably stand to take 25% less time.

4. Reckoning: You grab every enemy in range regardless of LOS or awareness, suspend 'em in place, then slam it onto the ground dealing quite a respectable amount of Radiation damage, force-Radiation proc'ing them for 12 seconds (unaffected by power duration), knock them down, and blind anyone who happens to wander near a lifted enemy when said enemy is slammed into the ground. This power is about five-in-one (keeping in theme wither Oberon's powers generally having several effects in one). It's a radial nuke. It's a radial hold. It's a radial knockdown. It's a radial confuse. It's a cluster radial blind. 15m is a touch short, but more than fairly compensated by its effects. Oh, and you can recast it whenever, power permitting.

I have not one single complaint about this, and to be frank, I don't think there's much that could be done to it that wouldn't demand a nerf or significant adjustment to other parts of this power to compensate.

So, Oberon's kit. Yeah, it's really, really good, on a frame with good HP, and Steel Fiber-worthy armor. What it *isn't* is hyper-specialized. Oberon's not supposed to be. You have a kit that gives you a bunch of different tools to be used to compensate for weaknesses in your team composition while simultaneously bolstering and augmenting that same composition's strong points. You're able to do so on the fly, without needing to swap to a different warframe to do a job, usually one that lacks other important parts of your kit.

I see a lot of folks in this thread, and others, saying "Well Oberon can't heal like Trinity." Well of course not, because if Oberon could, along with the CC and offense in the rest of his kit, he'd obsolete Trinity. "Well Reckoning isn't as powerful as Chaos." No, it's not, and while it is a confuse, it has features Chaos does not have at all, one of them being spontaneity. Most of these arguments boil down to comparing powers one-to-one without considering what the flexibility in this kit allows.

So, yes, Oberon is in a good place. Maybe not flawless, and maybe in need of a few QoL tweaks here and there, but hardly broken or worthless.

Oberon's my favorite, and possibly most suited to my playstyle. Or maybe Oberon is designed to fit a variety of playstyles? I'm not sure.  

Either way, it's kinda come to the point I use him almost exclusively right now. 

... Which is probably NOT a good thing but it attests to how fun I find it to play as Oberon.

the only skill I see needing any changes is possibly Renewal. I want to help my teammates but I keep getting left behind and then the healy dealies can't make it to them on time god damn it.

He's decent overall but doesn't excell in anything. But in the hands of the hardcore he can be a tough survivalist. I barely use him because he doesn't fit my playstyle. And I'm not really fond of his goatish looks.

Oberon is my favorite and most-used frame. Mod for maxed efficiency and minimum duration. The only ability that is affected severely is Hallowed Ground, which I use solely for proc removal since the initial damage really isn't much. If I get a 6-second slash proc, Rage will get my energy up enough to instantly remove it.

I'll share my build real quick (3 forma):

Corrosive Projection (armor reduction makes your Reckoning more viable even into high levels)

Vitality (Oberon has a high health pool. Use this, duh)

Steel Fiber (yeah he's got high armor, I think this brings it around the 300 range)

Rage (a must-have for any Oberon build. His armor pool balances damage taken and energy gained from it perfectly)

Natural Talent (helps heal fast and spam abilities--really useful actually. I dropped Vigor for this because I found that I don't need the extra health when I can spam Renewal at a moment's notice)

Fleeting Expertise (this+streamline=casting your ult for 40 energy and everyone gets radiation procs)

Transient Fortitude (just added power strength, once again duration isn't really required with this build)

Streamline (more power efficiency. Oberon is the perfect frame for spamming all his abilities)

Intensify (more power strength. At higher tiers when damage doesn't matter as much, power strength mostly benefits Renewal)

Also in anything under T4 and maybe T3, I'll run a decaying key as long as I don't forget to take it off.n That way Rage becomes much more viable. But seriously this build kicks face even into T4, I usually come out with the most damage dealt and most kills and due to armor and healing I'm rarely the one going down. Anyone who says Oberon isn't viable in endgame is foolin' themselves; his only problem is that he doesn't fill a specific niche.

Edited by Stratospherius

Broberon is best goat.

He's not a goat... he's a stag.

But on topic;

I think that he could use a slight rework on his pure damage abilities. And possibly rework Hallowed Ground (maybe instead of it being stationary make it an aura effect like Elemental Ward. That would probably make it 100x's more useful. )

But all in all, Oberon is by far my favorite frame and he is really good if you know how to play him.

Edited by Reidmaster

The most balanced frame there is, and can wreak havoc in the right hands. My only gripe with him is his Renewal projectiles. They should be faster or non existant and direct like Trin's blessing. In the time I detect someone getting pummeled, the casting, and then the projectiles travel time, the squadmate's downed already. Fortunately it can slow down bleeding.

His CC is also vastly underestimated, people often forget that you can pull yourself out of sticky situations with Knockdown and Radiation procs, which will distract the enemies. You can then escape or finish 'em off.

Also, his ult doesn't promote lack of skill, such as Saryn. You can insta-nuke everything with Saryn and literally not learn to play properly. 

Edited by SHIR0B0N

Whether warframes are good or not is a matter of opinion. True, some frames are lacking and need buffs or nerfs but a lot of what goes into making a frame good is enjoying playing them. I enjoy Oberon, I think hes a good frame. I disliked Ember, but shes still a decent frame.