The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe - Fps Issues With The Asus Gtx 970 Strix

Dazzaka

So I've been having fps problems on my gaming computer while playing warframe, I sit at 60 fps but very frequently drop down to 50-55 and at times as low as 45. I've tried different settings from low to everything maxed out. even with low settings it drops down to 50 often. I don't think it's my rig because when I'm playing the gpu usage never goes above 40% and the vram usage usually sits around 1gb, and same with cpu usage it's never maxed out .I've read about other people having issues with warframe and the gtx 900 series cards but I couldn't find anything on how to fix the issue. (These issues are usualy happening in the void and derelict missions)

Specs:

Asus GTX 970 strix

Intel Core i5 4690k 3.5Ghz

8 Gb ddr3 1600 ram

gigabyte H-97 gaming 3 motherborad

120 gb SSD (warframe isn't on the ssd but I could add it)

(the grapics drivers are up to date as of yesterday)

Edited by Dazzaka

I have no trouble with most settings maxed out on GTX 760. There are spiked framerate drops in certain locations with anti-alias on though so just leave it off and play on high resolution instead.

Local Reflection also has serious effect on framerate but it is usually worth it.

I have no trouble with most settings maxed out on GTX 760. There are spiked framerate drops in certain locations with anti-alias on though so just leave it off and play on high resolution instead.

Local Reflection also has serious effect on framerate but it is usually worth it.

I have a 760 too, aside from framerate drops, do you notice any other visual difference between maxing the settings/AA and playing at a higher resolution? (is that called downsampling?)

I have a 760 too, aside from framerate drops, do you notice any other visual difference between maxing the settings/AA and playing at a higher resolution? (is that called downsampling?)

Aside from it being lower quality no, just less frames drop when it's on low. But didn't buy a gaming pc to play on low which is kind of annoying me atm.

Warframe should perform best rendering with DirectX 11, in 64-Bit Mode, with Multi-Threaded Rendering turned on.

Warframe is a completely CPU bound game - don't worry about your GPU. you'd get the same performance even if you were using say, a theoretical 2GB GTX260.

are there any particular situations that this is only happening in?

any Tileset(s) in particular?

Et Cetera?

Edited by taiiat

Warframe should perform best rendering with DirectX 11, in 64-Bit Mode, with Multi-Threaded Rendering turned on.

Warframe is a completely CPU bound game - don't worry about your GPU. you'd get the same performance even if you were using say, a theoretical 2GB GTX260.

are there any particular situations that this is only happening in?

any Tileset(s) in particular?

Et Cetera?

So should I be looking to OC my cpu then?

And it's usually in void mission or derelict, I don't really do many other mission atm so I don't know any other places it struggles.

Edited by Dazzaka

So should I be looking to OC my cpu then?

no, Overclocking shouldn't be necessary.

and i wouldn't entirely recommend it either, as you have a H97 based Motherboard rather than a Z97 based Motherboard.

more insight as to why or when this is happening and adjusting some video options to ensure Warframe will run the best.

it may also be worth disabling VSync so as to compare different areas and situations in Warframe to be able to compare differences to identify what we're looking at.

as if this is only happening in a few particular situations i'm thinking of, then it will be something that you'll unfortunately have to deal with until the entire Computing Industry provides the solution hopefully within the next couple years.

no, Overclocking shouldn't be necessary.

and i wouldn't entirely recommend it either, as you have a H97 based Motherboard rather than a Z97 based Motherboard.

more insight as to why or when this is happening and adjusting some video options to ensure Warframe will run the best.

it may also be worth disabling VSync so as to compare different areas and situations in Warframe to be able to compare differences to identify what we're looking at.

as if this is only happening in a few particular situations i'm thinking of, then it will be something that you'll unfortunately have to deal with until the entire Computing Industry provides the solution hopefully within the next couple years.

I tried disabling vsync yesterday and it was peaking at 120 ish, but it was still dropping down to 45 at times

And it's usually in void mission or derelict, I don't really do many other mission atm so I don't know any other places it struggles.

I tried disabling vsync yesterday and it was peaking at 120 ish, but it was still dropping down to 45 at times

hmm, only 120? you should be able to easily have 120 be average or under average, not maximum. i was expecting you to say 350+.

*:

without knowing what's going on 'at times', it's difficult to determine much.

i presume, this is dropping to 45 when you're the Host of a Squad of 4 playing Missions with high Enemy Density, such as Survival, Defense, or Missions where Players often spread out a lot and move quite quickly(making for a lot of Active Tiles and Enemies), such as Capture.

you can fiddle with some of the heaviest options and see if they make any difference, but if those situations are where it's dropping, i'm afraid that is mostly to be expected. it comes with the territory in the Industry currently, and is why Warframe is completely CPU bound rather than GPU bound. until Windows, and the other translating layers (API's) that games work with actually allow for real Threading, this is the sort of issue that... the vast majority of Video Games encounter.

so you could disable Sound Reverb (though it's had performance adjustments, it should be fine by now), disable Local Reflections, and fiddle with your Direct X Renderer, and disabling Multi-Threaded Rendering (as in very rare cases not Threading actually performs better). you could also run Warframe in X86 rather than X86-64, but like disabling Multi-Threading, is unlikely to be the answer.

but, perhaps you will find a significant performance difference with these.

and if so, would sound like there would be some Optimization that Warframe could do that it hasn't done already or done recently.

Edited by taiiat

so you could disable Sound Reverb (though it's had performance adjustments, it should be fine by now), disable Local Reflections, and fiddle with your Direct X Renderer, and disabling Multi-Threaded Rendering (as in very rare cases not Threading actually performs better). you could also run Warframe in X86 rather than X86-64, but like disabling Multi-Threading, is unlikely to be the answer.

but, perhaps you will find a significant performance difference with these.

and if so, would sound like there would be some Optimization that Warframe could do that it hasn't done already or done recently.

I restored eveything to default and turned off reverbing and it made a massive difference, most of the time I was sitting at solid 60 wit the occasional drop to 57 or 58 which I wouldn't have noticed without fraps being on. However there were 2 or 3 times where the game dropped down to 25-30 but pretty much got instantly corrected, I don't know if this is a common problem and can be fixed too or not.

Kill your sound reverb.... its more then likely the culprit.

I kid you not...... the reverb they added and the engine do not place nicely with each other.

Thanks heaps for suggesting that, so weird that something like that affected my fps so drastically

-snip-

cool... i guess.

still have no idea when / what situations Framerate is/was dropping, so there's really basically no information to go on here.

and your quite low Framerate/high Frametime with VSync off... that's pretty interesting as well.

perhaps you're using the Stock Cooler for your 4690k? that would mean it's probably overheating constantly and throttling itself back.

Edited by taiiat

cool... i guess.

still have no idea when / what situations Framerate is/was dropping, so there's really basically no information to go on here.

and your quite low Framerate/high Frametime with VSync off... that's pretty interesting as well.

perhaps you're using the Stock Cooler for your 4690k? that would mean it's probably overheating constantly and throttling itself back.

I am using the stock cooler, maybe i should upgrade if that's the case.

I am using the stock cooler, maybe i should upgrade if that's the case.

oh, definitely then. Stock Coolers are designed to be just enough to make it work. nothing more.

Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo and it's other clones (there's a clone of it from basically every company) are dirt cheap and are sufficient.

ofcourse, Heatsinks only work well if the Airflow plan of the case is laid out well!

chances are it is Temperature throttling often, which shouldn't be happening unless you live outside in the middle of a desert.

oh, definitely then. Stock Coolers are designed to be just enough to make it work. nothing more.

Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo and it's other clones (there's a clone of it from basically every company) are dirt cheap and are sufficient.

ofcourse, Heatsinks only work well if the Airflow plan of the case is laid out well!

chances are it is Temperature throttling often, which shouldn't be happening unless you live outside in the middle of a desert.

I installed a cpu temperature monitor and did a T1D mission and the cpu was sitting around 60 the whole time and I didn't see the cpu usage go above 70. This was with Local reflections, Nvidia phsyx and sound reverb off. Everything was set to medium. I tried turning vsync off mid mission and was getting 120 ish with no enemies whichi dropped down to 80 thne 60 and still bottomed out at 45. For the GPU max usage was 50% and max ram usage was at 884/4000mb. I hope this helps pinpoint the problem.

(It seems the sound reverb helped a little bit, but it's still pretty bad in defense missions.)

I remember I had a problem somewhat like this on my system. Have you tried messing around with the directx options in the launcher (press the gear in the upper right of the launcher)? Because when I set mine to DX10 OFF and DX11 ON I got a lot of frames back (20-30 in some cases).

I remember I had a problem somewhat like this on my system. Have you tried messing around with the directx options in the launcher (press the gear in the upper right of the launcher)? Because when I set mine to DX10 OFF and DX11 ON I got a lot of frames back (20-30 in some cases).

I tried turning dx 10 off, can't realyl tell if it did anything because it is still dropping down to 45 but it did seem less frequent this time.

I don't get it, I've tried everything. I've tried low setting, high settings, vsync off, reverb off, turning dx10 off. I re installed warframe on my SSD, It happens when I'm hosting and when I'm not hosting too. My gpu isn't maxing out at all and neither is my cpu. There's no heat issues, all the cores on my cpu seem to sit around 60 C. I don't know what else to try anymore...

I'm seeing a similar issue, both CPU and GPU load rarely goes above 60% during missions (GPU goes up to 95% on the Liset/loadscreens), while framerate can drop well below 60, depending on things happening on the screen. Changing any graphics settings doesn't seem to really affect this, the game is just not using the computer to it's potential for some reason, FPS can drop by 50% while the load stays nearly the same.

Gigabyte WF3 gtx970

Gigabyte h97-d3h mobo

8GB 1600

win 8.1 x64

temps are OK, latest drivers etc.

(It seems the sound reverb helped a little bit, but it's still pretty bad in defense missions.)

what's happening in Missions with lots of Active Enemies and/or Tiles isn't something you can fix.

nor is it entirely Warframe's fault either. Video Games on PC do not Thread well. about half of your Processor is being used.

you could try to alleviate some of the issue by Overclocking, to get as much Single-Threaded performance as you can - but don't expect it to just go away.

it's unfortunate. if these sorts of situations (Defense/Survival/Excavation/Interception Missions when there's a lot of Enemies or any Misison Type where Players are widely spread out having a lot of Active Tiles) are the only times you're experiencing any issues, then feel free to run in DX11 in x86-64 with just about any bells and whistles on you want, because none of it will really make a difference.

it's still quite weird that you won't go over ~120 without VSync, perhaps your Drivers have a global Framerate Cap that you've set, which would explain that :p

because you absolutely should be able to Draw Frames more quickly than that with all current generation components.

and again, i can't recommend doing Overclocking on the H97 Chipset, only on the Z97 Chipset.

as well as hitting ~60°C is quite warm. not critical, however. a 4690k goes into Emergency Temperature Shutdown at 72.7°C. i can't really say how warm it will need to get to decide to start temperature throttling, though.

I'm seeing a similar issue, both CPU and GPU load rarely goes above 60% during missions (GPU goes up to 95% on the Liset/loadscreens), while framerate can drop well below 60, depending on things happening on the screen. Changing any graphics settings doesn't seem to really affect this, the game is just not using the computer to it's potential for some reason, FPS can drop by 50% while the load stays nearly the same.

Gigabyte WF3 gtx970

Gigabyte h97-d3h mobo

8GB 1600

win 8.1 x64

temps are OK, latest drivers etc.

You get the weird lag when loading into missions too? I forgot about that. 

it's still quite weird that you won't go over ~120 without VSync, perhaps your Drivers have a global Framerate Cap that you've set, which would explain that :p

because you absolutely should be able to Draw Frames more quickly than that with all current generation components.

120 is only in a mission, in the ship it his like 300-400. 

The thing that annoys me is that people with basically the same setup or worse aren't having these issues. Which means there must be a way to fix them somehow.

120 is only in a mission, in the ship it his like 300-400. 

The thing that annoys me is that people with basically the same setup or worse aren't having these issues. Which means there must be a way to fix them somehow.

120 in Mission is still low for modern generation components.

anyways.

if others are not experiencing such issues at all, chances are their Single-Threaded Performance is considerably higher, which will be important in heavy load situations of having a lot of a Map active at once or lots and lots of Enemies processing.

it's not that un normal for peformance in those heavy load situations to be 60% or even 30% of the normal average performance.

i suppose:

- see if there's any updates to your Motherboard Drivers over what version you're already using

- grab any and all recommended Windows Updates

- do some maintenance on the machine (including looking for unwanted software, cleaning/fixing stupid s... that Windows does (god can we please stop using a Registry) Et Cetera)

- switch to Fullscreen if not already doing so (Borderless and Windowed Mode keeps Aero loaded in the background rather than pausing it, this can affect performance in some cases)

- adjust your Page File / take a look at it, see if Windows is going crazy with Caching to Disk (Windows likes to do this, which is bad for Systems with good Memory availability). basically, since you have 8 gigs of RAM, i wouldn't be surprised if the Page File was 10-13Gigs - when it should be more like 4Gigs.

nothing else off the top of my head.

- grab any and all recommended Windows Updates

Currently I'm running windows 7 x64, for some reason the updates fail everytime and I couldn't get them to work. Using an old cd and I don't have a key for it so I can't update now. Should be getting windows 8.1 copy soon though. Maybe that's the problem.