Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Modding 2.0: A Suggestion

p3z1

After a game, I got diamond skin and I thought: "What's the use of this? Where can I put this? Is it even useful?" Also, I checked some augments, some were good, some were not (fire fright anyone?).

Introducing Warframe modding 2.0 (or 2.5):

The old layout for warframes:

[X]            <-aura

[X][X][X][X]      <-mods

[X][X][X][X]      <-mods

And the suggested:

[X]            <-aura

[X][X][X][X]      <-mods

[X][X][X][X]      <-mods

[1][2][3][4]      <-augment slots for respective abilities

Now the question: Why create these slots?

Now some of you may think that it's only for augment mods (irradiating disarm, radial finish), but here is my idea on it.

Aside from being able to put the appropriate augments, you can also put any regular warframe mod there to modify it's effects. For example excalibur, putting fast deflection regenerates some of his shields per unit hit depending on what level of fast deflection was placed, with a hard cap. or putting a continuity on the 2nd augment slot increases the duration of the skill.

To offset the latter's possible imbalance, when putting power enhancing mods in the augment slot, a duplicate CANNOT be placed in the main modding area. But putting stat-enhancing mods still benefits the warframe, which means that fast deflection still benefits the warframe, but also allows his 1 to regenerate his shields when hitting units. Also, mods in these "augment slots" drain modding energy.

Now this list will show the general effects of mods that are compatible with these slots (note that power enhancing mods will be disregarded due to possible obviousness of effects):

Damage dealing skills                    No damage dealt skills

Element resist mods   Bonus elemental damage               Elemental defense reduction to affected units

Provoked                   Deals more damage with lesser      Status buffs/debuffs are enhanced when caster has lower hp

when caster has lower HP

Heavy impact             Added chance to stagger/knowckdown opponents, gives minor damage buff (impact damage)

Equilibrium                 Enemies hit have a chance of dropping small health/energy orbs, chances increased when

skill kills

Enemy sense             Tags all enemies hit on cell's minimap

Redirection/Vitality/    Gives overshields/bonus HP per unit, up to a cap per cast. Cap and received stats are increased

Vigor                          with mod level. Bonuses do not stack and do not refresh

Fast deflection           Regenerates a portion of caster's shields per unit hit, up to a cap. Levels of shield regenerated

increased with mod level

The rest of the mods that are incompatible with augment slots are now able to be placed in the main modding area, which allows some other mods to be placed and to be able to be used/see the light of day (intruder, maglev...).

How about it?

[x]               - aura

[x][x][x][x][x]     - mods (utility only)

[x][x][x][x][x]     - mods (other / free)

I          I

[x][x]   [x][x]     - (augments) - for 4 abilities one

I          I

[x]       [x]      - (focus mods) / abilities - for 2 skill what you focus on

For this term need some corrupted mod reduced and utility mods buffed and not make power creep only improve the variations of a build.

[x]               - aura

[x][x][x][x][x]     - mods (utility only)

[x][x][x][x][x]     - mods (other / free)

I          I

[x][x]   [x][x]     - (augments) - for 4 abilities one

I          I

[x]       [x]      - (focus mods) / abilities - for 2 skill what you focus on

For this term need some corrupted mod reduced and utility mods buffed and not make power creep only improve the variations of a build.

The problem there is needing to know what is "utility" and what is "other/free"

I'd assume that the augment parts is the same as what I have suggested, if not, enlighten me

The reason that I wouldn't touch corrupted mod stats is because it can break some current builds. Though balancing them would be nice, some would see it as a nerf, which leads to rage, which I am preventing

Edited by p3z1

The problem there is needing to know what is "utility" and what is "other/free"

I'd assume that the augment parts is the same as what I have suggested, if not, enlighten me

The reason that I wouldn't touch corrupted mod stats is because it can break some current builds. Though balancing them would be nice, some would see it as a nerf, which leads to rage, which I am preventing

Yes. The utility and other mods are could be differentiate mods a, which gives boost on your stats like the sprint,stamina,hp,shields etc. b, other mods which still utilities but give indirect boost or different "ability" for example the master thief which gives you chance to open lock.

Resistance and other "now" useless mods could be integrated into the frame/armor statistic and turn into changeable stats like hp/shield mods. Same with the armor boost mod which just gives a concrete unit boost but not really touch the mechanic of work.

Yes the augmental is the same what you wrote with only difference I categorized the continuity/strength and the distance/consumption but exactly the same. This not mean you cannot use augments for one ability so for example you can use mag pull ability augments to boost your pulling.

The third layer is the focusing which still not implemented just in the past few streams the devs said they are working on it.

For this layer I wish to boost one of those abilities much more than normal boost. Still not finalized what it should be in reality because my first idea was we could use those mods like : streamline,intensify,continuity,strech as focusing mods and these mods could be free from the base build but then you can use only 2 of those and not all of them. This trying to balance the builds and "force" the players to choose wisely what abilities which boosts needs mostly and then peoples could use them.

But this is just an idea how could be the focus implement there and not a finalized thing.

About the corrupted mods and normal boost mods the differences are high some of corrupted worse than the normal counterparts others are much better than normals and those mods obsolete the less useful mods. 

There is still some damage mods for example which could be better like the damage type mods which gives only 30% extra but for example a buzzkill 120%. Different weapon categories but clearly seen these mods aren't competitive and need some change. I am not a fan of nerfs but maybe some needs of the rainbow mods or just boost the normal mods to a level where the players could consider to use them.

I am also not a fan of the removing the clear damage mods and multishot mods "which mods are a little bit cheats" in my opinion because give dual stats and in the end you can shot much more. The removal will be again a compensating wave and cryloads on forums so better not to touch them but the unused or lowly used mods really deserve much love.

Same with the resistance mods which clearly useless because there is no frame specific resistance and statistic how we are resilient against a damage type. Same with the armor which not shown to us how we resistant against the 3 physical damage types and not shown how reduce those mods the damage.

Then have some status giving mods which are jokes because those mods aren't fix status addition mods just boost only in percent the base status. Those mods should be given 100/120% status and still not really populat because a lot of weapons have laughably low status but at least a right direction and not fusing mod.

Those mods like warm coat, handspring, etc could be useful mods with a direct ability boost or given a different thing than have now. 

These mods needs a look already because there is a lot of mods right now and almost all newly created mod somehow better than the last mods and this kill the variations just.

Some peoples suggested the utility mods transform into stat or a skilltree stat bonus. There is a lot of ideas how those stuffs could be used but still not the main focused things.

Yes. The utility and other mods are could be differentiate mods a, which gives boost on your stats like the sprint,stamina,hp,shields etc. b, other mods which still utilities but give indirect boost or different "ability" for example the master thief which gives you chance to open lock.

The reason I came with the setup is because too many mods on a frame can make it imbalanced. Hence, I limited the mod slots to what they are now.

Resistance and other "now" useless mods could be integrated into the frame/armor statistic and turn into changeable stats like hp/shield mods. Same with the armor boost mod which just gives a concrete unit boost but not really touch the mechanic of work.

I'm not familiar with how the game actually adds in the elemental resistances, so I can't comment on that. Armor is broken atm (or hard to compute damage, I am not good at maths) so i also can't comment on that.

The third layer is the focusing which still not implemented just in the past few streams the devs said they are working on it.

For this layer I wish to boost one of those abilities much more than normal boost. Still not finalized what it should be in reality because my first idea was we could use those mods like : streamline,intensify,continuity,strech as focusing mods and these mods could be free from the base build but then you can use only 2 of those and not all of them. This trying to balance the builds and "force" the players to choose wisely what abilities which boosts needs mostly and then peoples could use them.

The reason I am not limiting the power enhancing mods that can be placed is due to the fact that I run a build that requires efficiency, duration, and range. Now some players may also run such a thing that requires more than 2 boosted stats. Although it is a good idea to limit what power stats to boost, it won't be probably good for others.

About the corrupted mods and normal boost mods the differences are high some of corrupted worse than the normal counterparts others are much better than normals and those mods obsolete the less useful mods.

Not always the case. Although a max rank fleeting expertise gives better efficiency, pairing it with a max streamline while reducing the level of fleeting expertise to maintain 75% efficiency is better, but eats more slots.

There is still some damage mods for example which could be better like the damage type mods which gives only 30% extra but for example a buzzkill 120%. Different weapon categories but clearly seen these mods aren't competitive and need some change. I am not a fan of nerfs but maybe some needs of the rainbow mods or just boost the normal mods to a level where the players could consider to use them.

I am also not a fan of the removing the clear damage mods and multishot mods "which mods are a little bit cheats" in my opinion because give dual stats and in the end you can shot much more. The removal will be again a compensating wave and cryloads on forums so better not to touch them but the unused or lowly used mods really deserve much love.

I have to agree on this.

Same with the resistance mods which clearly useless because there is no frame specific resistance and statistic how we are resilient against a damage type. Same with the armor which not shown to us how we resistant against the 3 physical damage types and not shown how reduce those mods the damage.

Hence the idea of putting these mods as augments, to make them useful both ways. Also, a way of knowing how much resist I have against a certain damage type means knowing your "type," which in this case, according to stalker, is probably proto-shields and alloy armor. So I base damage received on that for a rough idea.

It's not that I dislike these ideas in theory, but it always boils down to "does it allow us to kill things easier? Does it make us harder to kill?", and if the answers are not "neither, it makes us better in one aspect and worse in another", then why would DE do this?

We already tear apart level 60+ enemies and they already have a hard time killing us when we play well. Anything, ANYTHING, at ALL, that we add on top, just makes it worse. If Diamond Skin had a much higher bonus but slowed Shield Recharge rates, then maybe. If, for every Augment above the first, you had increased Energy usage on abilities, then maybe.

Simply coming out with "just more mods on a Frame, because it's cool" is not good enough, sorry.