Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Here Is A Good Article Discussing Some Real Costs Of Developing A Game

ndantony

What about the costs of being a gamer?  What about all the money wasted when the player's favorite content get's nerfed?

You ask the real question. Should a refund automatically be available if the in game item has it's stats modified or appearance updated, if real currency was directly involved in the procurement of the item.

We all know the Kickstarter bubble is bursting.

When you open with a statement that is completely wrong, I'm not inclined to continue reading.

When Double Fine kicked off the "KickStarter Revolution", this new way to fund games that completely bypasses traditional publishers was very disruptive and a lot of devs jumped onboard, '12 and '13 were insane.

But as with all disruptive forces, it showed up, made big mess and turned a few things upside down. Then things stabilized.

KickStarter didn't burst, it deflated and found it's place. This is a good thing.

Half of my friends IRL all write for gaming websites. Half of that half utterly despises clickbait titles for articles, and even more so when opinions rear their ugly head in what should be a fact-based thesis.

Opinions are fine in an article. Just not when the entire thing is made of one.

A sweet game on kickstarter getting funded does not detract from another game. Your game wasn't lucky, or didn't get proper exposure, or maybe it was just bad. Policequest games tried to get crowdfunded recently for a reboot and it failed. Hard. Like, there's plenty of Sierra fanboys and girls out there, but this just didn't take off. Why?

Bad luck. nothing more.

I'd also just like to say, in some cases, Patreon may be a better call depending on what is being developed. Maybe start your studio out with a Patreon and use something else (gofundme/kickstarter) for an individual actual project. But getting off the ground and hiring a PR person to hype your studio up can be a major help. There is more to "making indie games" than simply making a game and asking money for its development.

This article is just total nonsense. I'm going to have to quote the bible, of all things, as regards this:

"I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all."

- Ecclesiastes 9:11 (NIV)

Edited by DiosGX

You ask the real question. Should a refund automatically be available if the in game item has it's stats modified or appearance updated, if real currency was directly involved in the procurement of the item.

Riot already does this in League of Legends, to an extent. Players are given a very limited number of refunds for their entire account (I believe it's only 3), and once the refunds are used, they're gone forever.

Riot already does this in League of Legends, to an extent. Players are given a very limited number of refunds for their entire account (I believe it's only 3), and once the refunds are used, they're gone forever.

Around three yes.