Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uh Did I Miss Something?

WhiteCopain

Question

So I went into a T1 Def because I wanted to record a Mesa ult video since there weren't any decent ones I could find of just her shooting her ult over and over to show a friend. I got to wave 20, had a party of four but the mission screen literally registered me as dealing 99% of the damage since they were basically just letting me attack while the mag pulled in loot.

I got my wave 5 reward and my wave 20 reward, but waves 10/15 were blank, I had figured it was a bug since I was alt tabbing to find out a way to turn off screen shaking (Doesn't seem to be a way?) but then I ended the mission and checked my loot and I honestly got no wave 10/15 reward.... why?

I could get it maybe for the people who were afk or something, but I was there killing everything, I was cycling in and out of my ult, I was moving around and literally dealing ALL OF THE DAMAGE, did it honestly count me afk or something?

Standing stationary is now an afk flag, it incurs a removal of end of round bonuses.. I believe its "must travel x distance or = afk" type scenario.

This was done as a kneejerk overreaction to the problem of "AFK" farming.

Much akin to having a insect problem and then burning the house down.

It is incredibly unlikely to change, so you now must move constantly to ensure you maintain active status.

Edited by Nariala

Standing stationary is now an afk flagging que. I believe its "must travel x distance or = afk" type scenario.

It is incredibly unlikely to change, so you now must move constantly to ensure you maintain active status.

They actually punish you for playing a frame how it was made? That's... an interesting choice..

Well I guess Excal's getting remade soon and I've basically been wanting exactly what they said they're making him. So I guess I can play that instead of Mesa

Edited by WhiteCopain

They actually punish you for playing a frame how it was made? That's... an interesting choice..

It is just the developers inexperience and lack of foresight showing.

Not nearly as malevolent as people make it out to be, though the refusal to change it is a bit vexing at times.

There is a long debate about "encourage gameplay styles" mixed with "punishing for the same encouragement" in the feedback sections.

But the TL;DR of it all is: its here, its terrible, and run around constantly for no reason if you wish to be rewarded in defense.

Standing stationary is now an afk flag, it incurs a removal of end of round bonuses.. I believe its "must travel x distance or = afk" type scenario.

Well you can't deny its not working. OP AFK farmed, got punished accordingly

Well I guess Excal's getting remade soon and I've basically been wanting exactly what they said they're making him. So I guess I can play that instead of Mesa

DE are incentivising you to _not_ stay immobile in Mesa's ultimate all the time. "playing the frame how it was made" is not the same as "Only using the ultimate"

Unfortunately you cannot, as he mentions specifically that he moved around.

There is no warning for the afk flag system, the game does not inform you that it is going to happen. It simply shows up without prompting and informs you that you have met a hidden variable designed to punish people for playing in a way that the game design encourages to play.

Unfortunately you cannot, as he mentions specifically that he moved around.

There is no warning for the afk flag system, the game does not inform you that it is going to happen. It simply shows up without prompting and informs you that you have met a hidden variable designed to punish people for playing in a way that the game design encourages to play.

A flag would be useful I'll give you that. I would say that the AFK flag is as much part of the "game design" as the edge case of Gmag/Limbo/Trinity and Mesa allowing constant stationary ultimate-all-the-time that is quite obviously not desired illustrated by the inability to gain benefit from energy recovery pads within the Ult 

Edited by SilentMobius

A flag would be useful I'll give you that. I would say that the AFK flag is as much part of the "game design" as the edge case of Gmag/Limbo/Trinity and Mesa allowing constant stationary ultimate-all-the-time that is quite obviously not desired illustrated by the inability to gain benefit from energy recovery pads within the Ult

There are so many other ways to address afk farming that it hurts. Namely, addressing why do players feel they have to do these things to begin with.

20 seconds i think or 30, i know its less than a minute.

wow, thats quite harsh. it's not even enough for running to the bathroom.

where can i find complete info about this AFK system?

tbh, i think DE should implement warning before AFK system kicks in. like "WARNING! xxx seconds until AFK!" pop-up in the edge of the screen or something.

There are so many other ways to address afk farming that it hurts. Namely, addressing why do players feel they have to do these things to begin with.

Because there is no sense of progression with a course-grained parts drop system with a low chance of drop. So players will do anything to optimise or minimize the repetition. 

But short of much more varied content, more granular rewards or a RNG safety-net with limited part conversion that's not going to change. DE have a solid idea of how ling they want something to take to get and they gear their RNG toward that. 

Edited by SilentMobius

Not really because OP was contributing to the game play, he was taking a action and killing enemies, the way the mechanic should be working is if the person is doing "Nothing" at all.

It is the communitys fault as usual.

They moan about camping and spamming powers and they want you to move around like you have ADHD ever second of the game when the frame itself promotes not moving about.

DE actually listen to these terrible players who consistantly moan about you not playing the game 'there way'

AFK is when you are literally not doing anything at all.

Using a power is not AFK

Firing a weapon is not AFK

Turning around on the spot is not AFK

You the player killing enemies is not AFK

AFK = Away from keyboard

I am not away from my keyboard when i have to hit 4 or shoot an enemy that gets too close or when i turn 180deg on the spot to do something.

It needs to be removed because it is broken.

It is the communitys fault as usual.

They moan about camping and spamming powers and they want you to move around like you have ADHD ever second of the game when the frame itself promotes not moving about.

DE actually listen to these terrible players who consistantly moan about you not playing the game 'there way'

AFK is when you are literally not doing anything at all.

Using a power is not AFK

Firing a weapon is not AFK

Turning around on the spot is not AFK

You the player killing enemies is not AFK

AFK = Away from keyboard

I am not away from my keyboard when i have to hit 4 or shoot an enemy that gets too close or when i turn 180deg on the spot to do something.

It needs to be removed because it is broken.

Well no, if you'd listened to the Devstreams you'd know it's absolutely Steve and Scot's opinion that doing nothing but pressing 4 is _not_ playing the game, in fact anything that can be scripted is _not_ playing the game.

Nothing to do with the players complaining.

Well no, if you'd listened to the Devstreams you'd know it's absolutely Steve and Scot's opinion that doing nothing but pressing 4 is _not_ playing the game, in fact anything that can be scripted is _not_ playing the game.

So them threads about survival camping and mesa pressing 4 was all in my head?

The community complains alot and generally asks for nerfs because players figure out new ways to play and they don't like it.

This is one of them, they hate it that a team of 4 can last for 40min+ by pressing 4 and limiting movement and not doing crazy parkour jumps etc

Steve loves nerfing things but pressing 4 is playing the game and he is wrong, you press 4 you are interacting with the game and a effect will happen, if you were not playing the game then no buttons are pressed and nothing happens in the game.

So playing the game is not playing the game now. What strange new world is this.

But short of much more varied content, more granular rewards or a RNG safety-net with limited part conversion that's not going to change. DE have a solid idea of how ling they want something to take to get and they gear their RNG toward that. 

And, sadly, even if you did any of that, people would still take the easiest method of getting to the end. Because we are lazy enough to learn how to code, develop a macro bot to do all the work for us, and then stare at the screen for loot.

"Our ‘press 4 to win’ ultimates are metered primarily by the supply of energy. Finding an energy loophole means that Homer’s drinking bird can play the game for you. That is not team synergy. That is just broken." -DE Steve, Vivergate post

Pressing 4 may be considered by the loosest definition as "playing the game", but it's barely playing the game. It requires no skill or forethought, and it trivializes the game.

At the very least, in defense, your only goal is to defend a certain point, by killing all the things around it.  You have all these frames, especially mesa, who specialize in killing all the things around them with their ult, and gmag who can pull all the things to that point, and frost who can protect everyone in that point.  Well that the game design that leads to that behavior.  

Survival, well it definitely seems the intent is to keep players moving, with the spawns of the air supplies, but players have worked a way around that.  Solution?  maybe remove air from drops and dramatically increase the air restored by the life support spawns?